PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Monstrous Party?

Wasp
2018-10-08, 06:18 AM
Hi everyone

if you wanted to create a mixed monstrous party made of exclusively evil monster races like Bugbears, Goblins, Hobgoblins and Orcs - what kind of characters would you create?

Cheers

Wasp

nickl_2000
2018-10-08, 07:27 AM
Are these evil characters in a monster campaign or are they trying to get along in normal society?

Wasp
2018-10-08, 07:28 AM
Are these evil characters in a monster campaign or are they trying to get along in normal society?

The latter. More "fish out of water". But definitely not "normal" adventuring. Maybe their evil Wizard employer got killed and they now try to build up a new life doing that stuff the "heroes" did to their boss. :smallbiggrin:

Goggalor
2018-10-08, 07:46 AM
Make a roving band of sea pirates... on land. Most of those races have probably never seen the ocean, as they are mostly relegated to mountains/subterranean abodes, so aspirations/dreams of being pirates/corsairs/brigands on "moving land" would be mystical to many of them. Part of the journey is trying to make it to the sea/"moving land", while the other part is figuring out the pirate part on land. ;)

Maxilian
2018-10-08, 10:30 AM
Depends a lot on the group:

-From a Monk / Barbarian Lizardfolk that goes around wishing to have a taste of every single type of food (If its dead and have meat, its food)

-To a 8 INT Wizard Orc that see itself as the best marksman in the world, as it never miss its target (it only uses Magic Missile to deal damage)

Maxilian
2018-10-08, 10:34 AM
Make a roving band of sea pirates... on land. Most of those races have probably never seen the ocean, as they are mostly relegated to mountains/subterranean abodes, so aspirations/dreams of being pirates/corsairs/brigands on "moving land" would be mystical to many of them. Part of the journey is trying to make it to the sea/"moving land", while the other part is figuring out the pirate part on land. ;)

This reminds me of a concept a group of mine had, of playing a group of sea-creatures (Creatures like Tritons) that are Land pirates (basically just having them look at the land, the same way pirates look at the sea, they were also hunting a great shark -a Bulette-)

Ganymede
2018-10-08, 10:35 AM
A young goblin tyromancer that spent his youth stealing goat milk from a nearby wizard's abode, but eventually lingered when he found it could be made into cheese. In the process, the goblin learned of cheese-making, patience, wizardry, and just a little bit of compassion.

nickl_2000
2018-10-08, 10:44 AM
I would go with a full troop of Monstrous Bards/performer background. They are a travelling entertainment troop. You can go with whatever races makes sense, but I have put a few in there.

Hobgoblin Divination Wizard - Fortune Teller
Kobold/Tabaxi Sworddancer/Valor Bard - Dangerous sword dances, tank
Goblin? College of Glamour Bard - Because you need a musician and this is pretty much the best
Goblin Inquisitive Rogue - Carnival Hawker, guess the weight, guess the age, etc.
Lizardfolk Circle of the Shepard Druid - Travelling Zoo for viewing, and summoner for tanks