View Full Version : Suggestions/Feedback on DND 5e build

gggodgiven
2018-10-08, 09:08 AM
Hey there guys. I am trying to "optimize" a build and would love some suggestions and/or feedback.

Background info:

- Our group is a home group (so no AL and homebrew applies to certain extent)

- Campaign started at lvl 10

- I have played one session with this character already with the build described below.

- Our group and DM are fairly open and as such all UA and supplements (even UA that has been "overridden" by XGE are available)

- I am running a homebrewed double handed sword with +1 and once per day when hitting evil character deal 4d8 radiant.

So the build currently is Paladin 5/ Warlock 3/ Fighter 2. My query is mainly mechanical. The idea behind the character (again mechanically) is to be fairly useless most of the time, but when he decides to rage and kill something dead ... well its time to NOVA everything. So its Paladin 5 Oath of Vengeance, Warlock 3 Pact of the Blade Hexblade with Cursebringer (the OP lock smite), Fighter 2 (mainly for the action surge) fallen aasimar (for the necrotic shroud). Basically I run agonizing blast EB 90% of the time. And when we find the big bad (or what I assume is the big bad for the session) I run 4 attacks turn (wiht action surge) or 5 if I crit (GWM feat) exhausting all 7/8 spells slots for smites (4 curse bringer and 3/4 divine smite) with first taking couple of turns to set up hex, necrotic shroud, vow of emnity and hexblade curse. We even have a wizard in the group who runs hold person and hold monster to set up crits. So from our first session I was pretty happy with the character. Yeah he was fairly boring most of the fights (thou with the groups interactions and jokes its fine) and then pulled out the giant silver black runed sword from oblivion and dealt 419 dmg in one turn to the end monster leaving the rest of the party to gather their jaws from the floor.

So my main concern is whether I should stick to the build I have now Paladin 5/ Warlock 3/ Fighter 2 to have the action surge but the abysmal spell progression or if I should switch to something like Paladin 2/ Warlock 5/ Sorcerer 3 and have more spell slots and 1 extra attack for 1 turn (more turns with extra attacks on higher levels) with quickened Green flame blade from sorcerer's metamagic. And furthermore, how to keep leveling the character. Do I level Paladin up to 6 for the aura or even higher for the rest of goodies (improved divine smite), do I level up sorcerer for a lot more spell slots and sorcerer points which would allow me to do my NOVA more often (but a bit smaller than what it currently is as right now I literally throw everything in 1 "kill this mofo" moment), or do I level up warlock for armor of hexes for the 50% miss attacks armor and several high spell slots for lock smites. Obviously if I stick with the fighter build I would not level up fighter any further.

I am really struggling between having action surge (and an additional fighting style) from the fighter for the gigantic nova and getting sorcerer for the more spell slots (so i can throw the oddball spell here and there or even use hold person or haste myself rather than always rely on the wizard). And trying to decide how to keep leveling up the character really makes my head hurt so I am open for any tips/suggestions/feedback and whatever else on the build of the character.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the wall of text :)

ChangeSumFlux
2018-10-08, 07:55 PM
I made something similar a while ago. What I ended of coming to what either a 5warlock 5paladin, or a 3warlock 7paladin(conquest).
The lvl 7 from conquest Paladin is immensely strong when combined with the smite that fears an enemy. The level 6 from pally is also amazing with hexblade. No more str needed beyond that for wearing armor, so you can focus charisma. If you get 20 char, that is +5 to all saving throws. I can go into more detail if you want.
The other option for 5/5, is nice because you get access to eldritch smite from warlock. This means that you can hit harder on a single attack, making your critical strikes absolutely devastating. Either way you go, If you do this I’d suggest getting to 7pally/5warlock eventually because those a good milestones.

As for the fighter and sorcerer, the sorcerer could be useful to become a semi coffeelock and then use sorcery points to fuel endless smites. I feel like this could be useful, but I generally think going 3 classes is too much. For the fighter, I tend to think that the action surge just isn’t work the two levels. While you might get one extra attack every once in a while, the more spells that come from 2 levels in a spell caster are way more worth it.
Those are my opinions, let me know if you want more specifics.

gggodgiven
2018-10-09, 01:35 AM
I made something similar a while ago. What I ended of coming to what either a 5warlock 5paladin, or a 3warlock 7paladin(conquest).
The lvl 7 from conquest Paladin is immensely strong when combined with the smite that fears an enemy. The level 6 from pally is also amazing with hexblade. No more str needed beyond that for wearing armor, so you can focus charisma. If you get 20 char, that is +5 to all saving throws. I can go into more detail if you want.
The other option for 5/5, is nice because you get access to eldritch smite from warlock. This means that you can hit harder on a single attack, making your critical strikes absolutely devastating. Either way you go, If you do this I’d suggest getting to 7pally/5warlock eventually because those a good milestones.

As for the fighter and sorcerer, the sorcerer could be useful to become a semi coffeelock and then use sorcery points to fuel endless smites. I feel like this could be useful, but I generally think going 3 classes is too much. For the fighter, I tend to think that the action surge just isn’t work the two levels. While you might get one extra attack every once in a while, the more spells that come from 2 levels in a spell caster are way more worth it.
Those are my opinions, let me know if you want more specifics.

Well I am already running Curse bringer which is the more powerful version of eldritch smite and I really dont feel like the two would stacks (considering one is supposed to be the nerfed version of the other. As for the 2 leveles of fighter ... like I wrote, the whole idea of the character is to get to the largest NOVA possible which the 2 extra attacks from action surge does. Sorcerer would give me 1 extra attack on turn but I would be able to do it more often and would give me some additional spell progression so thats my general dilema. Also I do understand the short term ideas behind the character (lvl 6 pala aura, lvl 5 lock invocations etc etc) I am having more trouble envisioning what to keep leveling afterwards with the idea of maybe reaching lvl 20 at some point (DM has said campaign would be long but it would depend if I survive of course). Like do I keep maxing paladin to get auras and improved smite, do I keep maxing warlock for armor of hexes and several high level smite spell slots on short rest as well as 4-5 additional invocations, do I go to sorcerer rather than fighter and max that out for a ton of spell slots and a ton of sorcery points allowing me to have several NOVA turn inbetween rests. SO yeah thats what I am trying to figure out.