PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Curious, what do you think of combining these sub-systems?

TheGrimPeddler
2018-10-08, 10:37 AM
Ok, this is mostly to satisfy my own curiosity. My (tiny) group and I have greatly enjoyed combining Armor as DR (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/armorAsDamageReduction.htm), and Armor Damage Conversion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/damageConversion.htm). Granted, I also tweaked the gameplay a bit more with some more variants. Class defense bonus (based more on Wheel of Time d20rpg than 3.5 UA), a streamlined health & vitality system (wounds n vigor/whatever you wanna call it), reserve points, and healing surges among other tweaks... But that's rather besides the point (I'm a very lethal DM and pad my PCs as much as I can so that I can throw much hardship for them to overcome while giving them enough oomph to still be Big Damn Heroes).

Mostly, I'm curious as to see if anyone else has or will consider stacking Armor as DR + Conversion.

For the TL:dr version, for these versions basically the AC of an armor is divided my 2, rounded down, and that number is the DR. Subtract the DR from the normal AC for the new actual armor bonus of the armor. Said armor bonus is a further buffer to damage, converting that much into nonlethal damage. Someone gets hit, say, a fighter in 9 ac full plate, they negate 4 damage right off the bat, and the next 5 points into nonlethal. I personally would ignore the stipulation that nonlethal attacks are reduced by the armor bonus in the Damage Conversion base variant, on account of already having a dr. :smalltongue:

stack
2018-10-08, 10:56 AM
Be aware that prior to clustered shots or some other way to overwhelm or bypass DR, armor as DR can really make life for archers difficult.

Deadly aim helps, especially since your target now has lower AC, but it is still a concern at the early levels before you can cover the pile of feats ranged combat requires.

noob
2018-10-08, 11:02 AM
Ok, this is mostly to satisfy my own curiosity. My (tiny) group and I have greatly enjoyed combining Armor as DR (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/armorAsDamageReduction.htm), and Armor Damage Conversion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/damageConversion.htm). Granted, I also tweaked the gameplay a bit more with some more variants. Class defense bonus (based more on Wheel of Time d20rpg than 3.5 UA), a streamlined health & vitality system (wounds n vigor/whatever you wanna call it), reserve points, and healing surges among other tweaks... But that's rather besides the point (I'm a very lethal DM and pad my PCs as much as I can so that I can throw much hardship for them to overcome while giving them enough oomph to still be Big Damn Heroes).

Mostly, I'm curious as to see if anyone else has or will consider stacking Armor as DR + Conversion.

For the TL:dr version, for these versions basically the AC of an armor is divided my 2, rounded down, and that number is the DR. Subtract the DR from the normal AC for the new actual armor bonus of the armor. Said armor bonus is a further buffer to damage, converting that much into nonlethal damage. Someone gets hit, say, a fighter in 9 ac full plate, they negate 4 damage right off the bat, and the next 5 points into nonlethal. I personally would ignore the stipulation that nonlethal attacks are reduced by the armor bonus in the Damage Conversion base variant, on account of already having a dr. :smalltongue:

It makes people power attack even more often basically now everybody who plans to hit armored people with weapons will use power attack or deadly aim and in the end they will inflict more actual damage to armored people.
power attack raised damage of like 1 or 2 per x levels because every x levels the allowed power attack raise of 1 now people will use power attack and miss few attacks resulting in more total damage at high levels since only half of the armor completely remove damage.
so at low levels armor would be op but it would become weak very fast due to people knowing they can use power attack on armored people because they do not have their dex to ac and they get no boost to ac.
Meanwhile people who use dex and boost spells for armor will find themselves as much well defended as before.

HouseRules
2018-10-08, 11:06 AM
Might as well go all the way and call them Bludgeoning Resistance, Piercing Resistance, Slashing Resistance. You know, making everything called resistance, instead of Damage Reduction to align them with Energy Resistance, Fire Resistance, Cold Resistance, Acid Resistance, Lightning Resistance, Sonic Resistance, and Spell Resistance.

Based on the thickness of most Armor, the Hit Points of Most Armor is 1 HP. It is very easy to sunder them by poking at the armor in the thinner cross-section. It is 10 HP per 1 inch of cross-section, but we only have 1/16 of an inch of cross-section for most armor.

Krazzman
2018-10-09, 09:22 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it if it fits your world's narrative. You will have to playtest it if it's more of a detriment to your players than a buff.

These variants might fit better since there are actual real life instances of a gambeson stopping arrows from a longbow.

Dr_Dinosaur
2018-10-09, 03:10 PM
This change is great...if you’re a spellcaster or Dex-based martial! All those armored folk lowering their AC and skill checks for a piddling amount of DR makes them easy targets.

Literally no one would wear armor if that was how it worked