PDA

View Full Version : Oct UA out - Magic items of Eberron

xen
2018-10-08, 01:42 PM
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/magic-items-eberron

nickl_2000
2018-10-08, 01:44 PM
Thanks! Is this new stuff, or is this a rehash from Wayfarrers like last month?

DracoKnight
2018-10-08, 01:46 PM
Thanks! Is this new stuff, or is this a rehash from Wayfarrers like last month?

It's a rehash like last month.

xen
2018-10-08, 02:01 PM
Yep. Not much new.

guachi
2018-10-08, 02:29 PM
I quite like the magic items. I won't likely play in Eberron any time soon - or ever - but the items are interesting.

ATHATH
2018-10-08, 03:09 PM
So we're without new UA content for yet ANOTHER month.

If this is supposed to be playtest material, why has it already been released?

ImproperJustice
2018-10-08, 03:59 PM
No Artificer update :(

Although it could be a blessing. The class is workable now, an update could potentially ruin it.

Like that d12 HD ranger they had awhile back.

Pharaon
2018-10-08, 04:55 PM
So we're without new UA content for yet ANOTHER month.

If this is supposed to be playtest material, why has it already been released?

As someone who hasn't bought the Eberron content but is passively interested in the material, I appreciate them releasing parts of it as UA.

Also, isn't WGtE sold as play test content and open to revision at any time? I can see the sense in releasing parts of it to a wider fanbase.

Desteplo
2018-10-08, 06:13 PM
No Artificer update :(

Although it could be a blessing. The class is workable now, an update could potentially ruin it.

Like that d12 HD ranger they had awhile back.

Ranger revisited
It was actually 2d6 health.. and a lot of those abilities became spells in xanathars

That happened before “revised ranger”

I prefer phb ranger but that’s another thread
—————

I liked the magic items introduced. Would like to see more of them. Xanathars added a bunch of common items. I’d think ebberon being the high steam magic that it is would have more

I like the variant spell focus rule, but also feel it’s too much and too little at the same time

R.Shackleford
2018-10-08, 11:52 PM
During the next campaign, my group is going to mess with the DM (a friend, he deserves this).

We all get Bands od Loyalty, we can have a magic item that is common. He won't ask us what it us, he likes to be surprised.

He used to have a problem with TPK... Still likes to knock people out (0 HP, no death saves as you're stable) as part of the plot.

I'm cracking up just picturing his jaw hitting the floor.

Oramac
2018-10-09, 07:24 AM
The magic items are interesting, but hardly compelling. Only a few of them have combat application, and those that do are piss poor at it. Seriously, an arcane focus that requires attunement and a reaction to reduce one damage type by 1d4?!? I know it's a common item, but that's not even worth the attunement slot past 3rd level.

I will say the non-combat items are cool. The Shiftweave clothes on a Changeling Rogue Mastermind synergize probably too well.

Willie the Duck
2018-10-09, 09:34 AM
Seriously, an arcane focus that requires attunement and a reaction to reduce one damage type by 1d4?!? I know it's a common item, but that's not even worth the attunement slot past 3rd level.

Based on XGtE, that is exactly the play space envisioned for common magic items--little 'perks' that are fine until you have 3 genuine uses for your attunement slots.

Oramac
2018-10-09, 10:56 AM
Based on XGtE, that is exactly the play space envisioned for common magic items--little 'perks' that are fine until you have 3 genuine uses for your attunement slots.

Makes sense. But Eberron is a common-magic setting (I hesitate to say high-magic). I agree that it's good to have as a little perk. I disagree that it should require attunement at all. Something with that small/rarely useful a bonus just seems silly to require attunement.

EDIT: I would say that if there was some way to upgrade the item later, then requiring attunement would be fine.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-09, 11:18 AM
Ranger revisited
It was actually 2d6 health.. and a lot of those abilities became spells in xanathars

That happened before “revised ranger”

I prefer phb ranger but that’s another thread
—————

I liked the magic items introduced. Would like to see more of them. Xanathars added a bunch of common items. I’d think ebberon being the high steam magic that it is would have more

I like the variant spell focus rule, but also feel it’s too much and too little at the same time

I liked 2d6hp on a Ranger. It was the only thing I liked about that incarnation though.

Chaosmancer
2018-10-11, 08:30 PM
Makes sense. But Eberron is a common-magic setting (I hesitate to say high-magic). I agree that it's good to have as a little perk. I disagree that it should require attunement at all. Something with that small/rarely useful a bonus just seems silly to require attunement.

EDIT: I would say that if there was some way to upgrade the item later, then requiring attunement would be fine.

Saw someone on ENWorld who suggested adding a character's proficiency to the reduction. I thought that was a really neat idea.

I like the idea of the two handed implements too, though range wouldn't be my first choice, but I like this idea of making a mechanical difference between focuses