PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Creating a boss (a Bloodborne reference)

Willben20
2018-10-08, 06:10 PM
Any advice on how to make a Werewolf encounter with a level one party winnable?

I want to make this encounter a Bloodborne reference, making the fight just like the boss fight with Father Gascoigne. (Which I know that three of the four of my players have played Bloodborne and would very likely pick up on the reference)

My thought, was to reduce the hit points of the werewolf, removing his immunity to slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning unless the weapon is silver, adding an item that can stun the boss for a round (with a limited number of uses, also part of the reference)

The party so far consists of a Half-Orc Barbarian, Dwarven Druid, Dryad Archer, and some form of Paladin (he hasn't made his character yet)

This will be an optional boss, part of a bounty board, filled with various jobs and wanted posters, each one the party could pick to earn some coin, loot, and recognition from the city I'm going to put them in.

iTreeby
2018-10-08, 09:30 PM
Well here is the thing. In my mind it almost entirely depends on how reliable the Stun is. If the wear wolf hits with a bite and a claw, the target is probably dead. Or maybe infected with lycanthropy. Or both. If the wear wolf never gets a turn it will be a bust. How much damage can your party do per turn vrs ac 12? How many turns does it take to do 58 damage? How many turns can they keep it stunned? What is fun?

Galithar
2018-10-08, 09:39 PM
I would say remove the immunity. Or better yet, fluff a reason why they can damage it. Something along the lines of a mini-mini quest where the bounty tells them it can only be hurt by weapons blessed by X God's priest under a noon sun. Something that is simple and easily accomplished that allows them to, while fighting this one werewolf, bypass immunity.

Remove the multi-attack. Make sure it can only hit once per turn.

Make sure it fights stupid. AKA Meta-Game and Target your PC that started with the highest AC, or potentially the wizard you know is going to cast shield, if they wouldn't be upset by having to tank instead casting a damage spell with their limited spell slots.

A lot of this is determined by how well they roll. PCs that roll well (after removing immunity) will trounce the werewolf. But if your group doesn't roll amazing (critical from multiple people in round one) the werewolf can do damage fast. Don't allow anyone to contact lycanthropy. Make him not be able to spread it, or whatever you have to do, unless you think a player would enjoy that of course.