PDA

View Full Version : Do I have this right? (Planar Binding)

Xenothelm
2018-10-08, 06:57 PM
Step 1: Reach lv 14 with bard, grab Conjure Fey through Magical Secrets and replace an old spell with Planar Binding if not already learned.

Step 2: Reach lv 15 for a R8 spell slot

Step 3: Upcast Conjure Fey at R7 to summon the CR7 Korred

Step 4: Immediately upcast Planar Binding at R8 to bind the Korred for 180 days. (A reasonable amount of time to acquire the 1,000G for re-casting Planar Binding)

Step 5: Frolic with your new Fey ally.

Step 6: Repeat every 180 days.

I keep coming across the same unresolved issues:

1. The Korred will just run away/attack w/o Magic Circle

According to Conjure Fey, the summoned creature is friendly to me and obeys my commands (hold still); even without any commands, it will not take any actions.

2. It will disappear 6s before Planar Binding is done casting.

Sage advice seems to say otherwise https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/14/does-planar-binding-work-with-conjure-elemental/

Am I missing something here? As I interpret it, the only problem should be the Korred making its saving throw, which is unlikely with a -1 CHA modifier...

dejarnjc
2018-10-08, 07:06 PM
Casting a spell longer than an action requires concentration so you would lose concentration on come fey when you are casting planar binding.

I'd allow it though.

Xenothelm
2018-10-08, 07:09 PM
Casting a spell longer than an action requires concentration so you would lose concentration on come fey when you are casting planar binding.

I'd allow it though.

Does that mean the sage advice assuming 1 caster for the summoning, and a second for the binding?

leogobsin
2018-10-08, 07:10 PM
When you cast a spell with a casting time longer than one action it takes concentration, so as soon as you started casting Planar Binding your concentration would end on Conjure Fey and the Korred would become hostile.

However if you had two casters, one to cast Conjure Fey and one to cast Planar Binding, it should work exactly as you've described.

Xenothelm
2018-10-08, 07:41 PM
When you cast a spell with a casting time longer than one action it takes concentration, so as soon as you started casting Planar Binding your concentration would end on Conjure Fey and the Korred would become hostile.

However if you had two casters, one to cast Conjure Fey and one to cast Planar Binding, it should work exactly as you've described.

I’m the only one on my team who’d be able to upcast Conjure Fey, so we’d have to be ready to lock it down somehow...knowing my DM he’ll turn this into a full encounter XD

KorvinStarmast
2018-10-08, 07:48 PM
Get someone to grapple it. Speed 0. that should help a little bit.

MaxWilson
2018-10-08, 07:58 PM
I’m the only one on my team who’d be able to upcast Conjure Fey, so we’d have to be ready to lock it down somehow...knowing my DM he’ll turn this into a full encounter XD

Can you get someone else to cast Magic Circle, Planar Binding, Dominate Monster, or Mass Suggestion? How about plain old negotiation/bargaining?

Xenothelm
2018-10-08, 08:03 PM
Can you get someone else to cast Magic Circle, Planar Binding, Dominate Monster, or Mass Suggestion? How about plain old negotiation/bargaining?

Ooo I know mass suggestion O_o