PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Advance Scout, a Champion for the Ranger (PEACH)

Protato
2018-10-08, 07:14 PM
I'm making this for a Longsword STRanger build I've decided to try out. She's a Spell-Less Revised Ranger Kessig Human in a homebrew setting and I didn't know what might be a good subclass for a generalist melee Ranger. I might end up just going Gloomstalker, as the game deals with Drow but I didn't know how much it'd fit the flavor. My intent with this is to create something of a Champion Ranger. Without further ado, the Advance Scout!

Honed Reflexes: At third level, your training as a military scout has paid off. You gain +2 on initiative rolls and you may move an additional 5ft. as a bonus action on your turn. (Static bonuses are rare like a magic item or require opportunity cost like Alert vs. an ASI, or a subclass plus another subclass so that's powerful, and only one extra tile isn't much but it can make a difference.)

Fighting Style: At third level, you may select an additional Fighting Style, as detailed in the Ranger class. (Not much to say here.)

Expertise: At seventh level, choose one of your skill proficiencies. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses the chosen proficiency. (While boring, I figure it works well enough, though having only one skill and not two might be a bit too weak. If so I'll have it be two skills.)

Stubborn: At eleventh level, when you are attacked, you may use your reaction to make a single attack with disadvantage at the creature that attacked you. (Powerful but I'm hoping disadvantage cancels the power out enough to balance it.)

Superior Favored Enemy: At fifteenth level, you deal an additional +2 to damage versus your favored enemies (again, static modifiers and all. If its too good, especially on a Revised Ranger, I'll reduce it to one damage.)

Grod_The_Giant
2018-10-08, 08:42 PM
This is... very weak. The Champion is a poor point of comparison; the Fighter gets most of its power from its base class, while the Ranger gets most of theirs from their subclass. Besides, the Hunter is already an excellent generalist combatant who doesn't introduce any new mechanics or resources.

thoroughlyS
2018-10-08, 08:48 PM
I'm making this for a Longsword STRanger build I've decided to try out. She's a Spell-Less Revised Ranger Kessig Human in a homebrew setting and I didn't know what might be a good subclass for a generalist melee Ranger. I might end up just going Gloomstalker, as the game deals with Drow but I didn't know how much it'd fit the flavor. My intent with this is to create something of a Champion Ranger. Without further ado, the Advance Scout!
The "generalist" ranger conclave is hunter. It provides a varied set of passive features and options, which support many playstyles. Additionally, fluff is mutable; if the gloom stalker features interest you, you can create new fluff.

Honed Reflexes: At third level, your training as a military scout has paid off. You gain +2 on initiative rolls and you may move an additional 5ft. as a bonus action on your turn. (Static bonuses are rare like a magic item or require opportunity cost like Alert vs. an ASI, or a subclass plus another subclass so that's powerful, and only one extra tile isn't much but it can make a difference.)
I'm having trouble seeing how this is anything other than an objectively worse version of dread ambusher. Technically, +2 is better for low-WIS builds, but most builds should start with a 14 anyway. Having the additional movement cost a bonus action doesn't play nice with the best ranger spells, and is obsolesced at 8th level by fleet of foot.

Fighting Style: At third level, you may select an additional Fighting Style, as detailed in the Ranger class. (Not much to say here.)
I recommend shuffling this to the 7th level feature, so that you're not gaining it right after your first.

Expertise: At seventh level, choose one of your skill proficiencies. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses the chosen proficiency. (While boring, I figure it works well enough, though having only one skill and not two might be a bit too weak. If so I'll have it be two skills.)
This might be a better fit for the 3rd level feature, but it is absolutely boring. If you keep it, pump it up to two skills, to match the bard and rogue.

Stubborn: At eleventh level, when you are attacked, you may use your reaction to make a single attack with disadvantage at the creature that attacked you. (Powerful but I'm hoping disadvantage cancels the power out enough to balance it.)
This feature is most easily compared to giant killer from the hunter (gained at 3rd level) and retaliation from the berserker (gained at 14th level). 11th level is the beginning of a new Tier, so the features the ranger gains are supposed to be powerful. A reaction attack seems perfectly reasonable (sans disadvantage), although I don't see how it fits thematically (especially with that name).

Superior Favored Enemy: At fifteenth level, you deal an additional +2 to damage versus your favored enemies (again, static modifiers and all. If its too good, especially on a Revised Ranger, I'll reduce it to one damage.)
This is just garbage. Situational, boring, and unforgivably weak. At this level:

a hunter can gain evasion or uncanny dodge
a gloom stalker can imposed disadvantage as a reaction
a horizon walker gains uncanny dodge (with some cool themeing)
a monster slayer can attack a creature who forces a saving throw

Protato
2018-10-09, 11:40 PM
It seems like this is pretty weak according to you two so I'll probably buff this pretty soon. I don't think I'll be using it after all but maybe someone else will!