PDA

View Full Version : Most damage on a single hit-levels 6-10

Arelai
2018-10-08, 08:54 PM
Yooo, is the most damage you can get in single hit around level 6-10 basically a Paladin3 +warlock3?

Smite spell or Hex, Divine Smite + warlock smite? Or am I missing some options.

As per a character concept, I was thinking of doing one who hits super hard for a few hits-then gassed out.

Vorpalchicken
2018-10-09, 12:36 AM
Without Grave Cleric shenanigans or auto critting or someone else concentrating to buff you that may be the most you can do with a single weapon attack around that level ( 2d6 weapon + 1d6 hex + 5d8 smites + mods) A weapon attack cantrip could bump that a bit.

It just doesn't seem to be a very efficient use of your spell slots.

A fireball does 8d6 to a room full of people. A 7th level rogue does about 3/4 of that spending no resources at all. A polymorphed Giant Ape can throw 7d6 rocks or smack twice with fists for 6d10.

But if you are specializing in attacking single sleeping opponents it's not too shabby.

Damon_Tor
2018-10-09, 11:52 AM
Yooo, is the most damage you can get in single hit around level 6-10 basically a Paladin3 +warlock3?

Smite spell or Hex, Divine Smite + warlock smite? Or am I missing some options.

As per a character concept, I was thinking of doing one who hits super hard for a few hits-then gassed out.

So the warlock smite plus the paladin's smite, eating both the warlock's level 2 spell slots, will be adding 6d8 damage to the attack. Another 2d6 come from thundering smite. Add in the weapon damage (let's say 2d6) plus your ability bonus (+3) +Proficiency bonus (+3) from Hexblade's curse and let's say we've got Improved Pact Weapons (+1). And let's say you aren't doing the "attack" action, but casting the Booming Blade cantrip, so there's another 1d8 damage. Great Weapon Fighting applies to all rolls.

So that's 4d6+7d8+7. An average of 65.64 damage in one hit. Pretty good.

However, you would do better to assume Variant Human and get Polearm Master for a second attack. You wouldn't get the extra 1d8 from Booming blade to your first attack and the damage would drop from 2d6 to 1d10 (8.3333 to 6.3) but you'd gain a second attack (+1d4) you could apply a level 1 paladin smite to (+2d6) and you'd get to apply your static damage bonus of +7 all over again. Of course this assumes one extra round of pre-combat "prep-time" to cast Thundering Smite because your bonus action during that first round is now spoken for.

For comparison, a pure level 6 Battlemaster fighter (Variant Human with Polearm Master) will be attacking or 5 times in the first round. He's got two ASIs under his belt, so his modifier is +5. Four of those attacks deal 1d10+1d8+5 damage, the fifth deals 1d4+5 damage. Great Weapon Fighting applies to all rolls.

So the fighter will do 4d10+4d8+1d4+25 or 74.2 damage. It's also worth noting this doesn't account for the fighter's better chance to hit (higher skill modifier, gives himself advantage by knocking the other guy prone on attack 1)

Once you include the Extra Attack feature of the Paladin, I'm reasonably sure a pure-blooded paladin will outperform your 3/3 hybrid as well for similar reasons, but I'm getting tired of doing DPR math. A level 6 Gloomstalker Ranger could as well.

in a single hit

Yeah, I got that, but I guess my point is that's a silly restriction to place on yourself. Maximum damage in one round is more meaningful, and for that you've got to look at multi-attacks. Your build improves substantially when you get the Warlock to level 5 and he can attack twice, so it's worth expanding your thinking.

Arelai
2018-10-09, 09:28 PM
Yeah, but I’m trying to fit a certain character concept, so a single hit is the goal. If I wanted to do the most dpr i’d just sorcadin or polearm vuman. But I’m not interested in that, I want damage in a single hit.

Also, you forgot that a hexblade warlock crits on a 19-20 with the curse, so he can double the dice. A spell with a saving throw can’t crit.

Starting level is 7, so I think I’m going barbarian 2, hexblade 3, Paladin 2. Duel wield, STR based, reckless attack, and fish for the massive crit on the big bad for the spectacle of it. What are the odds for critting if you have advantage and crit on 19/20? 1/5 right? So theoretically, you get it before 3 rounds go by

Kane0
2018-10-09, 09:49 PM
Pally smite
Warlock smite
Bard smite
Sneak attack
Hunter’s Mark/Hex
GWM -5/+10
Magic weapon
Sneak attack
Bugbear surprise attack

Cant think of anything else off the top of my head unless youre going for critting the helpless via hold person or the like.