PDA

View Full Version : DM Help beholder lich?

Poranthi
2018-10-08, 08:56 PM
I am home-brewing a campaign and I would like the final "boss" to be a ancient beholder lich in his lair. I realize such a creature would make a considerable challenge for this merry band of "murder hobo's". How could I go about creating such a creature? Is there a template of sorts I can simply add to the beholder?

iTreeby
2018-10-08, 10:12 PM
Is the death tyrant not satisfactory for some reason? Instead of a phylactory it can have an aberrant sleeping beholder that is not killed by its death dream and instead spawns a new death tyrant every so often.

Millstone85
2018-10-09, 02:32 AM
Is the death tyrant not satisfactory for some reason?

I will also ask what is wrong with the death tyrant.

The way each beholder considers itself perfect, it makes sense that none would think of undergoing a transformation like lichdom. At least not consciously, which is where this particular dream comes in.

Instead of a phylactory it can have an aberrant sleeping beholder that is not killed by its death dream and instead spawns a new death tyrant every so often.If a phylactery of sort is needed, I would rather say that a death tyrant can have a hive as presented in VGtM, and that it devised a ritual involving the sacrifice of at least 5 of its 10 lesser copies.