PDA

View Full Version : Which is the better way to make a Drider?

rmnimoc
2018-10-09, 03:39 AM
A friend and I had a disagreement as to the best way to turn a character into a x/spider hybrid. In the classic spirit of debates, I decided to poll the opinions of a third party.

The first method is True Polymorphing the character into a drider. It's elegant in its simplicity and it'll probably work 10 times out of ten regardless of DM. It's probably the only way to get a strict RAW DM to let you be a drider. Downsides are that if you get knocked unconscious you revert back to what you were before the spell, it doesn't come online until you get 9th level spells, and leveling up could be a bit confusing, if the DM even lets you level.

The second method is a bit more complicated. Beastmaster Rangers can have an animal sidekick up to Challenge 1/4, such as a panther, a wolf, an eagle, or other such things. Unfortunately normal Giant Spiders aren't an option at Challenge 1, but their medium cousins, Giant Wolf Spiders, certainly are. Unfortunately they're a bit small to ride and being able to ride is essential for this to work, but luckily there's a solution. Cut yourself in half. Halflings are Small and stand at about half the height of an elf or human, so half a human would likely also be small. Besides, it's not like you need a lower body for this next part, you're about to get a better one. This next step is the most important: Mount the spider and Sovereign glue yourself to it. Leveling is simple, you just level like any other character. This comes with no weird rule interactions and no real potential for cheese. Most DMs probably won't tell you you can't, since gluing two people together is basically the entire reason Sovereign Glue exists. Nothing short of a legendary item or a wish can undo this. That said, you aren't really a drider, you're more like Quelaag from Dark Souls, though whether that's as upside or a downside is a whole other debate. Like the other option, it doesn't come online until pretty late in a campaign, though I wouldn't be too surprised if a DM let you quest for some mostly empty Sovereign glue earlier, since it's not like this is actually a power boost. This actually is straight up worse, mechanically, than just being a halfling riding a spider since you can't dismount and you might be missing a bit of HP from literally cutting yourself in half. A strict RAW DM might not allow this, since I can't think of any effect that that cuts the body in half at the waist. You need to have a someone nearby to stabilize you, since being cut in half is usually pretty fatal and spider companions aren't know for being good doctors. If the spider dies, you're going to have to awkwardly drag yourself around with your hands and around 150 pounds of dead spider attached to you.

So, which method so you guys think is the better way to make yourself into a drider? If you guys have other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Millstone85
2018-10-09, 03:50 AM
Downsides are that if you get knocked unconscious you revert back to what you were before the spellYou need only concentrate for 1 hour. Then it is permanent, though it can still be dispelled.

Cut yourself in half. [...] Mount the spider and Sovereign glue yourself to it.https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/3734758951/4eab9431f3d587f0789274d826354eb0.png

rmnimoc
2018-10-09, 06:58 AM
You need only concentrate for 1 hour. Then it is permanent, though it can still be dispelled.

Cool as that would be, that's sadly not how it works.

The text of the spell says it has no effect on a creature with 0 hit points. That statement is made after the bit about lasting until dispelled. At 0 hit points? The transformation ends.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/02/26/once-a-true-polymorph-spell-is-made-permanent-does-reducing-to-0hp-still-cause-the-creature-to-revert-to-its-original-form/

Millstone85
2018-10-09, 07:17 AM
Cool as that would be, that's sadly not how it works.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/02/26/once-a-true-polymorph-spell-is-made-permanent-does-reducing-to-0hp-still-cause-the-creature-to-revert-to-its-original-form/I thought you were simply referring to the unconscious condition, not specifically to the unconscious condition as a result of dropping to 0 hit points.

Far from being sad, this is actually excellent news, as it means that you are still restored in your original form's hit points.

In which case, incidently, you aren't knocked unconscious. :smallsmile:

Whyrocknodie
2018-10-09, 07:52 AM
Just take the 'Drider' feat.

Droodicus
2018-10-09, 08:05 AM
Play a drop. Irritate lolth. PROFIT?

rmnimoc
2018-10-09, 08:25 AM
I'm not sure what feat you're referring to.

Play a drop. Irritate lolth. PROFIT?

There's certainly something to be said for doing it the old fashioned way.

Whyrocknodie
2018-10-10, 11:09 AM
I'm not sure what feat you're referring to.

Drider
Skilled at scuttling about and awkwardly squeezing through doors, you gain the following benefits:

* You no longer suffer penalties specifically applied for having less than 8 legs.
* Add your Proficiency bonus to Dridering checks.
* You no longer need shoes. Pay an additional 2000% to purchase outfits in order to accommodate your additional limbs.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-10, 11:53 AM
Play some sweet, sweet Underdark R&B. Have the finest Drow wine available on hand. Introduce Papa Drow and Mama Giant spider and then just let (un)nature do what (un)nature does.

A short while later you'll have an egg sac full of little Driders.

Nifft
2018-10-10, 12:52 PM

But the 'Drider' prerequisites are 8 feets.

Laserlight
2018-10-10, 01:24 PM
Play some sweet, sweet Underdark R&B. Have the finest Drow wine available on hand. Introduce Papa Drow and Mama Giant spider and then just let (un)nature do what (un)nature does.

A short while later you'll have an egg sac full of little Driders.

When a mommy spider and a daddy drow love each other very much...or, well, actually, don't love each other at all, because drow...

Maxilian
2018-10-10, 02:43 PM
I thought you were simply referring to the unconscious condition, not specifically to the unconscious condition as a result of dropping to 0 hit points.

Far from being sad, this is actually excellent news, as it means that you are still restored in your original form's hit points.

In which case, incidently, you aren't knocked unconscious. :smallsmile:

This is weird, i though the origins of races and classes were somewhat RAW, but having in mind that one of the origins of monster races is "You are the victim of a curse or polymorph spelll.", its kind of weird, cause... if you go full RAW with that story, you only need to be knocked out once!

Another possible option is:

-A true Polymorphed character that have it already as a permanent effect, could cast clone on itself, and then kill itself to have its soul take the clone's body.