PDA

View Full Version : Analysis What is Banjo's Quiddity?

Quartz
2018-10-09, 08:43 AM
Was Banjo ever shown with a quiddity?

Talion
2018-10-09, 08:47 AM
In the event that Banjo had a quiddity (unlikely at best) it would have matched that of the Northern Pantheon, as Thor and/or Odin had considered sponsoring him in the pantheon. For that matter, Elan (acting on Banjo's behalf) directly applied to the Northern Pantheon specifically.

knag
2018-10-09, 11:55 AM
Banjo's quiddity was established very early in the comic run. It is orange (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0080.html).

This was the earliest foreshadowing by the Giant that Banjo would save the world with his alternate color quiddity after TDO refuses Thor's plan.

For now, he is "a forgotten god, slumbering away for centuries until dark priests seek to awaken his unholy power. But when he returns, all will hear his call.."

Resileaf
2018-10-09, 12:27 PM
No, he does not have a quiddity.

Because he is a puppet. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1027.html)

dtilque
2018-10-09, 02:52 PM
If he had a quiddity, he's have an aura whenever we see him. He doesn't and that one panel with orange color around him does not show a quiddity. Also, Giggles and Dark Lord Mandolin (Tarquin's puppet; see Sept 2016) don't have auras either. That background color, various shades of purple (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0561.html), when Giggles is introduced, is not an aura and is different than the orange of that one panel.

Jasdoif
2018-10-09, 02:53 PM
I'm thinking Banjo's composed of the same three colors as the rest of the world.

dtilque
2018-10-09, 03:31 PM
I'm thinking Banjo's composed of the same three colors as the rest of the world.

So was the Dark One before he ascended.

Peelee
2018-10-09, 03:32 PM

Yes, but people actually cared about the Dark One. Heyo!

Knaight
2018-10-09, 03:32 PM

Said ascension being a notable difference between Banjo and the Dark One.

knag
2018-10-09, 03:43 PM
Said ascension being a notable difference between Banjo and the Dark One.

The only difference is the magnitude of their smiting.

Fyraltari
2018-10-09, 05:10 PM
Invisible.

Rrmcklin
2018-10-09, 05:12 PM
Banjo's quiddity is none because they don't have one, and never will.

dtilque
2018-10-09, 05:26 PM
Invisible.

That's a possibility. Most of the electromagnetic spectrum is invisible. Maybe the quiddity is infrared, microwave, or even terahertz waves.

martianmister
2018-10-10, 11:23 AM
It hasn't got one, 'cause it's a puppet.

keybounce
2018-10-10, 12:51 PM
Yes, but people actually cared about the Dark One. Heyo!

If all it takes for ascension is sufficient worship, then perhaps the forum is strong enough! Quiddles and Banjo! The opposing pair of a new pantheon! Show your support and ... oh, what's the chance of The Giant re-writing his story for something as silly as that?

Resileaf
2018-10-10, 01:08 PM
oh, what's the chance of The Giant re-writing his story for something as silly as that?

Somewhere between 'inexistant' and 'Hahaha, no'.

brian 333
2018-10-10, 05:11 PM
Banjo is co-worshipped as the brother and comedic foil of Giggles. There is even a high priest cleric of Giggles, the god of slapstick.

As has been said, the only difference between Banjo and TDO is the power of their smiting.

Peelee
2018-10-10, 06:16 PM
As has been said, the only difference between Banjo and TDO is the power of their smiting.

As has been wrongly said, you mean.

Snails
2018-10-10, 06:25 PM
Banjo has no quiddity. He does possess mighty stuquiddity which can be useful for making jokes but not for the problem of the Snarl.

I wonder if souls might not contain dollops of many different quiddities.

JennTora
2018-10-10, 07:59 PM
Banjo's quiddity is none because they don't have one, and never will.

Alternatively, he will, but it will be a one off gag in the epilogue of the comics.

Also Quiddity, because I enjoy that word.

Keltest
2018-10-10, 08:52 PM
The only difference is the magnitude of their smiting.

I suppose this is true, if you ignore all the other differences, such as one being a god and the other a puppet.

brian 333
2018-10-11, 10:59 AM
I suppose this is true, if you ignore all the other differences, such as one being a god and the other a puppet.

Why are you guys so hung up on Banjo being a puppet? Gontor worshiped rocks, and was a very powerful cleric. If rocks can grant clerical powers, why can't a puppet?

The Dark One ascended due to the worship of his followers. More followers = more power. Banjo has one follower, and that one is a bit inconstant, so his ability to dispense spells is a bit limited, but I did see him Smite Roy in comic. It was a very tiny smiting, but it was a smiting.

Peelee
2018-10-11, 11:04 AM
Why are you guys so hung up on Banjo being a puppet? Gontor worshiped rocks, and was a very powerful cleric. If rocks can grant clerical powers, why can't a puppet?

The Dark One ascended due to the worship of his followers. More followers = more power. Banjo has one follower, and that one is a bit inconstant, so his ability to dispense spells is a bit limited, but I did see him Smite Roy in comic. It was a very tiny smiting, but it was a smiting.

Do you want to claim that rocks are gods? Because you'll have to do that for your argument to work.

Fyraltari
2018-10-11, 11:13 AM
Well if the Dark One is metal, some gods probably rock.

Kish
2018-10-11, 11:19 AM
Do you want to claim that rocks are gods? Because you'll have to do that for your argument to work.
Indeed, Gontor got turned into a vampire for...some reason related to whether he worshiped a god.

Can't remember offhand what it was*. Probably the fact that his god was both existent and SO POWERFUL.

*Watch someone take this seriously and explain to me what it was.

Sapphire Guard
2018-10-11, 11:37 AM
It took an enormous sacrifice for the Dark One to ascend. Banjo...doesn't qualify.

Jasdoif
2018-10-11, 11:45 AM
Watch someone take this seriously and explain to me what it was.Are we talking about Hungry Hungry Hippos HPoH (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0995.html), or powerful Earth Elementals granting spells to Gontor?

Knaight
2018-10-11, 02:44 PM
Gontor's a pretty solid example of how cleric powers don't imply divinity, which definitely doesn't work in favor of the Banjo as God hypothesis.

dtilque
2018-10-11, 07:31 PM
Normally, one would expect Banjo's color to be infraumber, which is a color between bleen and grue, just a bit periwinkler than ultrapuce. But there's another dramatic consideration, so his color is actually dun, Dun, DUN!

Anymage
2018-10-12, 02:40 AM
Giggles has more worshippers than Banjo, and unlike Banjo, Giggles' worshippers come in with fewer preconceptions as to what godhood should entail. So the real question is when Giggles will swoop in to lend his brother a hand.

knag
2018-10-12, 08:54 AM
Gontor's a pretty solid example of how cleric powers don't imply divinity, which definitely doesn't work in favor of the Banjo as God hypothesis.

Banjo's divinity has never rested on the puppet granting clerical spells, we've never seen that. It rests on the fact that in #80, Banjo itself smote Roy with tiny lightning.

Peelee
2018-10-12, 09:44 AM
Banjo's divinity has never rested on the puppet granting clerical spells, we've never seen that. It rests on the fact that in #80, Banjo itself smote Roy with tiny lightning.

Or that could be Elan using Prestidigitation, a 0-level Bard spell that he knows.

knag
2018-10-12, 11:28 AM
Or that could be Elan using Prestidigitation, a 0-level Bard spell that he knows.

Oh ye of little faith.

Kish
2018-10-12, 11:48 AM
Make up your mind, does the puppet's divinity rest on evidence or on faith?

Lord Torath
2018-10-12, 11:55 AM
Yes, but faith is the substance of things hoped for; the evidence of things not seen. So where does that leave you?

Riftwolf
2018-10-12, 12:01 PM
Not that derailing this thread wouldn't be a worthy enough reason to ask this, but has any pantheon, real or false, had a God of Puppets?
Banjo doesn't count as he's a Puppet God, and the existence of Giggles means he isn't monotheistic among Puppets like TDO.

Grey_Wolf_c
2018-10-12, 01:38 PM
Not that derailing this thread wouldn't be a worthy enough reason to ask this, but has any pantheon, real or false, had a God of Puppets?

I have discovered a truly remarkable God of Puppets in a RL religion which this forum is not allowed to contain.
(Seriously, no idea if there is a RL god of Puppets. Just felt like misquoting Fermat)
Grey Wolf

Sapphire Guard
2018-10-12, 01:45 PM
I feel like Banjo smiting could be just because Thor thought it was funny.

dtilque
2018-10-12, 04:25 PM

There was no blue dweomer showing Elan was casting a spell. But it could have been some random bit of static electricity that just happened to occur when a smite was expected.

Ragneroc
2018-10-12, 04:25 PM
also we do see blue text with banjo's smiting which is also the color of Elan's magic so that leads me to believe it was an unintentional or accidental use of minor illusion or prestidigitation by Elan.

Jasdoif
2018-10-12, 04:31 PM
There was no blue dweomer showing Elan was casting a spell.Prestidigitation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prestidigitation.htm) lasts for an hour...and, come to think of it, could be how Elan created Banjo in the first place.

Peelee
2018-10-12, 04:34 PM
Presidigitation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prestidigitation.htm) lasts for an hour...and, come to think of it, could be how Elan created Banjo in the first place.

Hmm. Banjo does look crude and artificial....

Emanick
2018-10-13, 12:27 AM
I feel like Banjo smiting could be just because Thor thought it was funny.

This makes sense. New headcanon.

dtilque
2018-10-13, 12:39 AM
Prestidigitation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prestidigitation.htm) lasts for an hour...and, come to think of it, could be how Elan created Banjo in the first place.

I would still expect Elan's dweomer to be around the "smite" if it were the result of a spell, no matter how much time had passed since the spell was cast.

Peelee
2018-10-13, 08:42 AM
I would still expect Elan's dweomer to be around the "smite" if it were the result of a spell, no matter how much time had passed since the spell was cast.

It's not around Banjulhu (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0085.html) after the casting.

goodpeople25
2018-10-13, 08:15 PM
It's not around Banjulhu (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0085.html) after the casting.
Okay? Not sure where you're going with that.

Ruck
2018-10-13, 09:52 PM

It's also not around, for example, Illusory Belkar (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0597.html) (even though he's casting in both panels with Illusory Belkar), or the celestial lion (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0597.html).

Okay? Not sure where you're going with that.

It seems like he's going to a very straightforward response to this:

Crisis21
2018-10-14, 09:15 AM
If he had a quiddity, he's have an aura whenever we see him. He doesn't and that one panel with orange color around him does not show a quiddity. Also, Giggles and Dark Lord Mandolin (Tarquin's puppet; see Sept 2016) don't have auras either. That background color, various shades of purple (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0561.html), when Giggles is introduced, is not an aura and is different than the orange of that one panel.

Is there any way to see the calendar images without hunting down a copy for sale?

hroşila
2018-10-14, 09:22 AM
It's also not around, for example, Illusory Belkar (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0597.html) (even though he's casting in both panels with Illusory Belkar), or the celestial lion (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0597.html).

It seems like he's going to a very straightforward response to this:
However, all those other examples would suggest that there should be a magic dweomer in Elan's hand if the smiting was due to one of his spells, right?

Riftwolf
2018-10-14, 05:14 PM
However, all those other examples would suggest that there should be a magic dweomer in Elan's hand if the smiting was due to one of his spells, right?

You mean the hand covered by Banjo?

hroşila
2018-10-14, 05:31 PM
You mean the hand covered by Banjo?
Yes, because I don't think that would conceal the dweomer. Furthermore, I doubt the puppet would allow Elan to cast a spell with that same hand – when he glamoured Banjo/Banjulhu, he used his other hand, and AFAIK the candidates to produce the smiting effect like Silent Image or Minor Image have somatic components.

Lord Torath
2018-10-15, 09:34 AM
Is there any way to see the calendar images without hunting down a copy for sale?You can buy a .pdf version from Gumroad. Nevermind. None of the calendars currently show up as available. If you wait a month or so, Rich will have the new calendar up, and he may re-release the old ones again in .pdf format. I seem to remember him doing that, but now I'm not so sure, since I didn't buy any .pdf calendars.

B. Dandelion
2018-10-15, 09:43 AM
You can buy a .pdf version from Gumroad. Nevermind. None of the calendars currently show up as available. If you wait a month or so, Rich will have the new calendar up, and he may re-release the old ones again in .pdf format. I seem to remember him doing that, but now I'm not so sure, since I didn't buy any .pdf calendars.

I bought the four-calendar pdf bundle sale in 2016. It had the new '17 calendar as well as the previous three years. So yeah, he's done it before, and I'm hoping he does again because I still need 2018!

KorvinStarmast
2018-10-15, 11:21 AM
Normally, one would expect Banjo's color to be infraumber, which is a color between bleen and grue, just a bit periwinkler than ultrapuce. But there's another dramatic consideration, so his color is actually dun, Dun, DUN! Yes, if there's a quiddity, that's it. But it's a puppet.

JennTora
2018-10-17, 01:19 PM
Giggles has more worshippers than Banjo, and unlike Banjo, Giggles' worshippers come in with fewer preconceptions as to what godhood should entail. So the real question is when Giggles will swoop in to lend his brother a hand.
If giggles ascends, wouldn't banjo automatically have to since they're (according to elan and the orcs) basically brothers in a pantheon of 2?

Now I want elan to start a band with the orcs.

dtilque
2018-10-19, 03:33 PM
Now I want elan to start a band with the orcs.

You need a good band name first. How about

Giggle Orcs
Luting and Blundering
Slapstick Banjo

eh, no doubt there's something better.