PDA

View Full Version : 5e Cranium Rat wildshape Telepathy

Aaedimus
2018-10-09, 10:11 AM
Telepathy in the MM is defined as below:
-----
Telepathy*Telepathy is a magical ability that allows a monster to communicate mentally with another creature within a specified range. The contacted creature doesn't need to share a language with the monster to communicate in this way with it, but it must be able to understand at least one language. A creature without telepathy can receive and respond to telepathic messages but can't initiate or terminate a telepathic conversation.

A telepathic monster doesn't need to see a contacted creature and can end the telepathic contact at any time. The contact is broken as soon as the two creatures are no longer within range of each other or if the telepathic monster contacts a different creature within range. A telepathic monster can initiate or terminate a telepathic conversation without using an action, but while the monster is incapacitated, it can't initiate telepathic contact, and any current contact is terminated. (MM p.9)
----
What limits would you place on a wildshaped PC using the Cranium Rat telepathy?

-Telepathic link: it is not defined whether this must be only inbetween 2 individuals
- Language: they don't need language to understand you, but if you don't share a language can you understand their response?
-sight: "doesn't need to see a contacted creature" would you rule sending mental messages out when players are not sure anyone is within 30ft would initiate contact with a creature in another room? Referring to the top question, what about for multiple creatures? Or would you rule sight is necessary to make the link not not to communicate
- any other restrictions?

nickl_2000
2018-10-09, 10:20 AM
Here's how I would handle it, but it's up to each DM. However, seeing as how this is a CR0 critter, I'm more lenient.

1) Telepathy - Between 2 people. The wildshaped Druid and the chosen receiver only.
2) You don't need to share a language, but both must have a language known. In this case your Druid knows common still, despite being a rat. Both can understand each other
3) would you rule sending mental messages out when players are not sure anyone is within 30ft would initiate contact with a creature in another room?
I would rule that you have to know someone is there to communicate with them. You can't just send a message into a separate room to see if anyone is there. However, if you hear them through a door, you can communicate with them.
4) Referring to the top question, what about for multiple creatures? - Nope, one at a time.
5) Or would you rule sight is necessary to make the link not not to communicate? - Nope, just knowledge that they are there.

I wouldn't add other restrictions. This is, at best, a scouting form. It's dex is only +2 and it doesn't get a bonus to stealth. Also, these things don't look like normal rats. So, anyone see a cranium rat is likely to want to make it dead, and quickly.

tieren
2018-10-09, 10:27 AM
I would let you "call out" for a specific individual whether you knew they were there or not, but not a generic "anyone there" to any random creature.

So for instance if your party's barbarian Bob, is in a nearby cell, but you don't know which one (or if they've been moved further) I would let you try to contact Bob, even if you don't know for sure where he is or if he is in range.

it seems a common use in many fictions.

Aaedimus
2018-10-09, 10:45 AM
It's a scouting form 100%. The light is really cool too. "I'll scout a head 100ft and if you see the glow it's safe"

I thought calling out to any creature in 30 feet sounded really interesting. I would personally allow communication both individually and on open lines or to any extent inbetween myself, with a caviatte that since they don't have to respond you might just put every baddie in 30 feet on watch, hiding and looking for you, and if they did answer you get no indication as to their direction (nor do they to yours)

What kind of issues do you think that might cause if I ruled it that way?

Aaedimus
2018-10-09, 10:46 AM
Also, what about communicating images?

nickl_2000
2018-10-09, 10:53 AM
It's a scouting form 100%. The light is really cool too. "I'll scout a head 100ft and if you see the glow it's safe"

I thought calling out to any creature in 30 feet sounded really interesting. I would personally allow communication both individually and on open lines or to any extent inbetween myself, with a caviatte that since they don't have to respond you might just put every baddie in 30 feet on watch, hiding and looking for you, and if they did answer you get no indication as to their direction (nor do they to yours)

What kind of issues do you think that might cause if I ruled it that way?

Honestly not many as long as the PCs knew this. It makes it less stealthy and less useful in my opinion, but seems like a fair trade off. Make all telepathy work this way in your world and run with it.

Also, what about communicating images?

Only in the same way that I can create an image with words. You are still are describing it to the other person, even if it's through telepathy.

Aaedimus
2018-10-09, 11:16 AM
Honestly not many as long as the PCs knew this. It makes it less stealthy and less useful in my opinion, but seems like a fair trade off. Make all telepathy work this way in your world and run with it.

Well, the idea was to offer both options forc the use (which kindof made sense in my head) you still get that trade-off when used to basically telepathically shout for someone to answer, but it would also give players that personal option, and it would allow mental team speak when in wildshape. (Communicate plans between characters while in conversation with an NPC for example)

Otherwise they would probably just play the "I relay her message individually to each team-mate" game which for me removes the roleplay aspect and seems a bit cheap/metagaming

Thanks for the input btw!