PDA

View Full Version : Bard weird spell known progression

Princesse
2018-10-09, 11:44 AM
Hi everyone,
I was looking at the bard spell known progression and it looks very random, i was wondering why some levels he would gain none, then two in one level.
What's the thought behind it and would starting with 4 then adding one per level be overpowered or something?

nickl_2000
2018-10-09, 11:48 AM
I'm not sure why they did the levels where you don't gain any spells, but the jumps of two spells at level 10, 14, and 18 are in conjunction with Magical Secrets. You gain 2 spells there from any class and know both of them.

Crgaston
2018-10-09, 11:50 AM
Edit: Dang ninjas....

It's partly because of Magical Secrets. At 10, 14 and 18 you get 2 spell choices from any spell list, and this is reflected in the Spells Known column.

Aaedimus
2018-10-09, 11:51 AM
I still think they were being stingy. More spells known isn't that OP.

You're still limited by your slots

Tanarii
2018-10-09, 10:59 PM
Bards spells known:
1) Gain 1 spell known every time you gain a new spell level
2) Gain 1 spell known every even level 2-8
3$ Gain 2 spells known at magical secrets levels.

The only real outlier compared to other spells known classes (sorc, warlock) is level 10. For the Bard, Magical Secrets replaces the spell known usually gained at level 10.

Aaron Underhand
2018-10-10, 12:48 AM
As noted it is to support magical secrets.

Lore bard get 2 more spells at 6th level, which Aren't counted. All other magical secrets are! A common mistake is to think they don't count.

I wouldn't add extra spells known, it takes away from lore bard, as well as from the classes with spells known limits.

Tanarii
2018-10-10, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't add extra spells known, it takes away from lore bard, as well as from the classes with spells known limits.
Fairly sure the OP meant replacing the current scheme with 4+1 per level, because it's simpler. It would ultimately mean 1 slot more.

Problem is it'd put the magical secrets in totally different places, overlapping with other abilities. One each at levels: 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 19, 20.

Edit: actually, looking at it, that would mean delaying one of each magical secrets by 2 levels. That's not overpowered. It's less powerful.

So, uh ... nerf away, I guess? :smallamused: