PDA

View Full Version : Dragonborn/Waterdeep Connection?

GARDELL
2018-10-09, 01:00 PM
I’m trying to start a character up for Waterdeep. I’m playing a Silver Dragonborn Ranger. He’s going to be an Adjuticator.
I need to know if there’s a connection between the Dragonborn and Waterdeep.

Finback
2018-10-09, 09:10 PM
I don't know that there is a specific one, but it's more fun to make one. Perhaps they're an ambassador from another land? Or an exile - this sets up ideas for stories like are they being hunted by their land of origin (great for urban intrigue), are they unfamiliar with local traditions, are they treated as an outsider and thus someone to be suspicious of? Maybe they're the first-generation child of immigrant parents, who struggled to find a footing but their child is finally succeeding in a role dragonborn are not normally seen in (case in point: half the Night Watch of the Discworld. A troll copper? A gnome copper? a ZOMBIE?*)

* I would wholeheartedly recommend reading Pratchett's Discworld novels set in the city of Ankh-Morpork, as I feel they do give a reasonable approximation of what a city like Waterdeep might be like, albeit with a bit more comedy. They've had a plot to bring back dragons, racial tension due to a schism in dwarven religion/politics, attemps to destabilise commerce and communications... and all with a lot of laughs.

TerakasTaranath
2018-10-09, 09:17 PM
I’m trying to start a character up for Waterdeep. I’m playing a Silver Dragonborn Ranger. He’s going to be an Adjuticator.

You could always be hunting cultists of Tiamat. You could also be a private investigator or a bounty hunter of some type.
Maybe your goal is to climb the ranks of the Lords Alliance and serve the cities justice system and you're looking for any work that will point in that direction.

Unoriginal
2018-10-10, 03:19 AM

Not sure what you mean by "connection", but Waterdeep has a Dragonborn population.

A few of the named NPCs in Dragon Heist are Dragonborn.

Twigwit
2018-10-10, 05:44 AM
Dragonborn have no connection to Waterdeep, or Faerun as a whole. SCAG confirmed that the Spellplague still happened and Dragonborn still just sort of appeared, they just stayed when all the other Spellplague nonsense was undone.

Unoriginal
2018-10-10, 05:55 AM
Dragonborn have no connection to Waterdeep, or Faerun as a whole. SCAG confirmed that the Spellplague still happened and Dragonborn still just sort of appeared, they just stayed when all the other Spellplague nonsense was undone.

Not the first time it happened.