PDA

View Full Version : I have a stupid question ^^

Edea
2007-09-17, 12:13 PM
In the fifth panel of #485, Roy's dad claims that Roy was the "...highest level Good character on the field..." I thought Miko was clearly at a higher level than Roy (and seeing what happened to her, I'd definitely put her 'on the field'). So...

1) Roy's father is mistaken,

2) I'm mistaken, and Miko isn't higher level than Roy (but if that's the case, somebody visited the CharOp boards at Wizards, especially considering she was a Monk/Paladin, ick),

3) Miko at some point isn't Good,

4) I'm reading too much into this, hence the title of the thread, or Miko isn't on the field for some reason :P

So, which one of these do you think it is? Honestly I vote for #4, but it's wierd that he specifically said "highest level" :/.

SteveMB
2007-09-17, 12:14 PM
In the fifth panel of #485, Roy's dad claims that Roy was the "...highest level Good character on the field..." I thought Miko was clearly at a higher level than Roy (and seeing what happened to her, I'd definitely put her 'on the field'). So...

2) I'm mistaken, and Miko isn't higher level than Roy (but if that's the case, somebody visited the CharOp boards at Wizards, especially considering she was a Monk/Paladin, ick),

4) I'm reading too much into this, hence the title of the thread, or Miko isn't on the field for some reason :P

So, which one of these do you think it is? Honestly I vote for #4, but it's wierd that he specifically said "highest level" :/.

5) Roy's father isn't about to let picky little details get in the way of berating his fighter-jock son.

Porthos
2007-09-17, 12:17 PM
Miko was in a jail cell for 99.9% of the battle and therefore wasn't on the battlefield.

Loopholes. Gotta love them. :smallbiggrin:

Edea
2007-09-17, 12:19 PM
5) Roy's father isn't about to let picky little details get in the way of berating his fighter-jock son.

Actually, that's a 1), but sounds good to me.

1) I
2)
3)
4) IIII

Skyserpent
2007-09-17, 12:24 PM
Miko wasn't "On the Field" in that she wasn't actually battling Xykon...

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-09-17, 12:29 PM

#4... You're assuming Eugene is speaking the truth, and not saying things to tick off Roy even more. Eugene is wrong, but Roy was the highest level fighter PC in the fight. Miko was in jail for most of the battle, freeing herself just in time to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Edea
2007-09-17, 12:33 PM
I dunno about the lying part (the whole comic can just be one giant lie, so there'd be no point speculating about any of it), but the "not on the field" part I suspected and have heard agreement for three times now, so a 4) it is.

chibibar
2007-09-17, 12:41 PM
also Miko is not a PC :)

BRC
2007-09-17, 12:44 PM
While Miko was technically higher level, many of those levels would have been in Fighter-without-bonus-feats, which dosn't really count.

SteveMB
2007-09-17, 12:47 PM
Actually, that's a 1), but sounds good to me.

I'm distinguishing between "got the facts wrong" and "just plain doesn't care about the facts", and only counting the former as legitimately "mistaken".

Anyway, people already noted that Miko isn't a PC and wasn't on the battlefield.

Edea
2007-09-17, 12:56 PM
The "PC" bit I'm not understanding, because of course she's not a PC, but the statement was, "the highest level good character on the field, and a PC to boot," not "the highest level PC out on the field."

"On the field" seems to be an extremely popular answer.

hendrake
2007-09-17, 01:01 PM
I don't think Eugene was mistaken / doesn't know / is lying.

As for this one...

3) Miko at some point isn't Good

While I agree with this - I also think it's pretty clear she wasn't on the field.

And, BTW, he did say, "character on the field" - not PC on the field (he said, "and a PC to boot.") and certainly not, "fighter on the field" or "character with the most fighter-feats on the field" (like he'd care).

Jasdoif
2007-09-17, 01:09 PM
5) Roy's father isn't about to let picky little details get in the way of berating his fighter-jock son.Yeah. Eugene's an illusionist, after all, his life was centered around making perceptions suit him.

factotum
2007-09-17, 01:30 PM
I vote mostly 4. She was in jail and therefore not in any position to be any use on the battlefield. Furthermore, once she lost her Paladin levels, Roy was able to defeat her reasonably easily, so in terms of raw power he's ahead as well.

NerfTW
2007-09-17, 01:34 PM
She wasn't on the field, and frankly, nobody except Soon, Xykon, Redcloak, and Ochul know that she was anywhere but in jail. Nobody else saw her, and Eugene was probably paying more attention to Roy than the castle.

chibibar
2007-09-17, 02:28 PM
The "PC" bit I'm not understanding, because of course she's not a PC, but the statement was, "the highest level good character on the field, and a PC to boot," not "the highest level PC out on the field."

"On the field" seems to be an extremely popular answer.

the reason I mention PC cause part of the conversation was about PC (and thus I kinda mingle them together)

FrostXian
2007-09-17, 04:08 PM
Um, she was in the jail? She wasn't fighting.
This is nothing to make an arguement about, isn't it obvious? Go back and check, she was in the jail, and 5 mins after she broke out, she blew up the castle and died.
I wouldn't count that as she "FOUGHT THE BATTLE" for all she did was running a straith line and then exploding.

Twilight Jack
2007-09-17, 07:10 PM
Roy was the highest level Good character on the field, Miko notwithstanding. She was in prison, and hence not a factor in the battle in any way until after Roy had died. By the time Miko escaped, Roy was already dead, so their periods of influence in the battle had no overlap. Eugene's analysis is perfectly factually true.

BobTheDog
2007-09-17, 07:13 PM
Damn, Miko finds her way into threads even after death...

(Not that Roy's alive, but you get the point) :smalltongue:

dakiwiboid
2007-09-17, 07:34 PM
Damn, Miko finds her way into threads even after death...

Isn't it a shame that we can't erase her from people's memory, at least on the forum?

Green Bean
2007-09-17, 07:43 PM
Isn't it a shame that we can't erase her from people's memory, at least on the forum?

Well, the mods have the technology necessary to do that. Why do you think no one ever discusses Cholo, the controversial seventh member of the OotS?

2007-09-17, 07:48 PM
Well, the mods have the technology necessary to do that. Why do you think no one ever discusses Cholo, the controversial seventh member of the OotS?

:smalleek: SHHH! They're listening! :smalleek:

Edea
2007-09-17, 08:55 PM
LOL, wow, this actually broke 20 posts? :smallbiggrin:

Well, 4) seems to be the consensus, so thanks for your input.

Miraqariftsky
2007-09-18, 12:39 AM

Miko Fell right darn hard--- ergo, she is no longer Good.

Dean Fellithor
2007-09-18, 01:09 AM

Miko is no longer lawful, she fell from grace and she is probably Neutral now

factotum
2007-09-18, 01:20 AM
Miko Fell right darn hard--- ergo, she is no longer Good.

Wrong. A Paladin has much stricter class requirements than simply being Lawful Good, so she could Fall without ever shifting from the LG alignment. Also, one evil act does not shift your alignment unless it's a real doozy.

Oberon
2007-09-18, 01:32 AM
one evil act does not shift your alignment unless it's a real doozy.

Like slaughtering one's unarmed octogenarian mentor who was attempting to protect an important, highly populated city from total chaos and ruin, while simultaneously defending the few remaining seals of a powerthat could cause anything from world domination by the bad guys to destruction of the multiverse?

I am really quite unsure about Miko's alignment right now. I know her intent was good, but so were those of a lot of evil people, throughout history.

Ninaboo
2007-09-20, 11:13 AM

huh. who is Cholo?

Finn Solomon
2007-09-20, 12:07 PM
huh. who is Cholo?

Don't you remember Cholo? The mean one. The baby-eating one. The one even Belkar's afraid of. In fact, let's not even mention her name. They say she can hear through walls.

Green Bean
2007-09-20, 12:16 PM
Don't you remember Cholo? The mean one. The baby-eating one. The one even Belkar's afraid of. In fact, let's not even mention her name. They say she can hear through walls.

Remember the time the whole board got sucked into a debate about how she kept her paladin powers despite being obviously CN and a demon/devil and possibly a dude.

jaaq
2007-09-20, 12:23 PM
What would be the URL to use to get to the newest comic? At the moment I have it set for whatever comic and then I just click the last button.

Anyone have a URL I can use to get to the newest/latest comic?

Thanks in advance.

Green Bean
2007-09-20, 12:39 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootslatest.html should do it.

jaaq
2007-09-22, 07:03 PM
Woot!

Thanks a ton!

Chronos
2007-09-22, 09:06 PM
Roy was the highest level Good character on the field, Miko notwithstanding.If one defines "the field" as "places where significant fighting was occurring", then no, Roy was absolutely not the highest level Good character on the field. Soon Kim was actively involved in significant combat, and is at least eight levels higher than Roy. Which means that Eugene is lying. As usual.

Green Bean
2007-09-22, 09:18 PM
If one defines "the field" as "places where significant fighting was occurring", then no, Roy was absolutely not the highest level Good character on the field. Soon Kim was actively involved in significant combat, and is at least eight levels higher than Roy. Which means that Eugene is lying. As usual.

Of course, he was tied to the throne room, so he wasn't really in a position to make tactical decisions.

Actually, when you think about it, Roy and Soon Kim had the exact same influence on the ultimate outcome. They both almost took out the enemy's high command.

Kish
2007-09-23, 12:29 AM
Of course, he was tied to the throne room, so he wasn't really in a position to make tactical decisions.

Actually, when you think about it, Roy and Soon Kim had the exact same influence on the ultimate outcome. They both almost took out the enemy's high command.
Except that while Soon Kim actually almost killed Xykon and Redcloak, Roy merely annoyed Xykon into blowing him up.

SPoD
2007-09-23, 03:52 AM
If one defines "the field" as "places where significant fighting was occurring", then no, Roy was absolutely not the highest level Good character on the field. Soon Kim was actively involved in significant combat, and is at least eight levels higher than Roy. Which means that Eugene is lying. As usual.

In this context, "the battle" that Eugene is talking about is, "the portion of the battle that occurred while you were alive, that I am currently berating you about." Not "the entire battle until its conclusion, hours after you died." Eugene is only criticizing Roy about the things that happened before his death, and neither Miko nor Soon Kim (nor the Linear Guild, for that matter) were "on the field" before Roy died.

It's not a lie, merely a situational analysis that he didn't feel the need to spell out the parameters of to his very intelligent son in the middle of a rant. Roy knew what he meant.

Green Bean
2007-09-23, 07:44 AM
Except that while Soon Kim actually almost killed Xykon and Redcloak, Roy merely annoyed Xykon into blowing him up.

Yes, but in both cases, all the damage they did was negated by divine casters a couple of rounds later.