PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Non-Evil Servant of Azathoth

TheYell
2018-10-10, 03:56 AM
What I want to be is a CN monkey goblin rogue who fell in with some Elder God cultists with their own ship. He was guided away from the usual demon worship towards Something elder and stronger.

Stat block for Azathoth says he's CN. So OK, my rogue is a secret follower of Azathoth.

Thing is, apart from having a big secret and some bizarre tattoos, I'm not coming up with much for what a CN follower of the Outer Ones would do. Variable interest loans? Sentient sacrifice is out, obviously, but that again is a negative. He won't follow anybody else's god and keeps muttering about "older and stronger". His immediate background is, his boat was smuggling nobles out of Galt when he got sunk by elves on their border ( GOOD chaos, you see) but I'm kind of drawing a blank as to customs. Any thoughts?

Wraith
2018-10-10, 04:15 AM
The only stat block I could find for Azathoth is from Pathfinder, which says that his Domains are Chaos, Destruction, Madness, Sun, and Void, with Subdomains of Catastrophe, Dark Tapestry, Entropy, Insanity, Nightmares, and Stars. His areas of concern are Madness, Entropy and Mindless Destruction.

...I'm not going to lie, but it sounds as though Chaotic Neutral is very generous interpretation; given his actions and preferences, he's probably Chaotic Evil BUT saved only by the fact that he is too alien and insane to comprehend his own motives. :smalltongue:

Still, worshipping a monstrous idol of insane nuclear chaos probably has it's advantages. Somehow.
Were I his follower, I would probably interpret his interests of "destruction" and "stars" as being leave to become a pyromaniac - not setting out to kill anyone specifically as that is particularly Evil, but certainly setting a fire for the sole purpose of seeing how big and out of control it could eventually become, spreading wildly ("chaotically" if you will) to emulate Its appearance as a star. That could also play into your "bigger and stronger" mantra, as every time you hope for a bigger and bigger fire, until eventually the whole world burns and returns to the Chaos from which is sprang....

Grek
2018-10-10, 04:28 AM
The big thing about Azathoth is that you don't so much worship it as acknowledge that it exists. Azathoth is the burbling nuclear chaos that dwells at the heart of all that is and should it ever awaken all the world will be annihilated, like an unlucky ant trapped in the inside of a newly lit blast furnace. Azathoth is not aware that you exist and indeed cannot become aware of your existence without inadvertently smearing your home plane into dimensional paste. In a very real way, Azathoth is more a law of physics or a feature of the cosmic terrain than an active deity. You don't pray to it so much as recognize that it's been there the whole time and you never noticed. Not just hidden in plain sight, but so vast and omnipresent that it was until just now as visible to you as water is to a fish.

Even more shockingly, this vast and unfathomable being has progeny: Yog-Sothoth the All-Knowing and All-Seeing and Shub-Niggurath, Dark Mother of a Thousand Young, their grandchildren Cthulhu and Tsathoggua. More recently in the lineage, Hydra and Dagon, and their deep one spawn, all the way down to mere mortals who have but a drop of divine blood in their sacred veins, borne through the eons by their seaside ancestors. It's not clear how these cosmic births happened, but Azathoth seems to periodically spawn creatures out of its burbling dream-tremors, creatures beyond all mortal comprehension. Vast as the cosmos, more powerful than the lesser gods of earth.

An interest in genealogy is entirely natural at this point. An affinity for the seaside is expected, even. Pyromania, not so much. I would instead suggest a desire not to burn, but to learn. The world is much stranger than you thought, what else have you missed? It's time to hit the records. Plan some book heists, figure out what's really going on out in the world and what your place in it should be. The path of the Old Ones does not end with but a single step, it is a long and winding journey through the hitherlands of history, out to the frontiers of mortal knowledge. Seek, and you shall find.