PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Zealot Clearic/Paladin/??

Subpar77
2018-10-10, 07:12 AM
Hey guys, I have a concept for a character that I'm having a hard time finding the right combo to flesh it out.

Concept is a Half-Orc that's been taking in by the clergy of Torm. He's become obsessed with the ideals of the church and vows to further the cause with a near zealous fervor. Effectively going super nova when it comes to defending his faith, furthering their ideals, and so on. (short version) Originally I was thinking Cleric/Paladin (starts out as a cleric, but finds himself better suited to the more combat oriented side of 'furthering the cause'), but there is a good deal of overlap between the two. Seems to me to be a waste to stack the two classes.

In reading through the forms I saw a post about going Barb(Zealot)/Paladin. While I like this idea, I'm not a fan of loosing the ability to cast. Granted that comes down to the choice of when to rage or not.

I'm wondering if there are any other decent combos that would fir the concept. Again this is a guy who goes full tilt when it comes to fighting for the ideals and values of his faith. So barb fits the idea well. Just wondering what other options there are.

Fore reference, stat rolls are: 16, 13, 14, 12, 14, 16. (Dm gives us a free feat at one or swap out for stat boost. .. ASI.)

Thanks in advance!

CTurbo
2018-10-10, 07:32 AM
Hey guys, I have a concept for a character that I'm having a hard time finding the right combo to flesh it out.

Concept is a Half-Orc that's been taking in by the clergy of Torm. He's become obsessed with the ideals of the church and vows to further the cause with a near zealous fervor. Effectively going super nova when it comes to defending his faith, furthering their ideals, and so on. (short version) Originally I was thinking Cleric/Paladin (starts out as a cleric, but finds himself better suited to the more combat oriented side of 'furthering the cause'), but there is a good deal of overlap between the two. Seems to me to be a waste to stack the two classes.

In reading through the forms I saw a post about going Barb(Zealot)/Paladin. While I like this idea, I'm not a fan of loosing the ability to cast. Granted that comes down to the choice of when to rage or not.

I'm wondering if there are any other decent combos that would fir the concept. Again this is a guy who goes full tilt when it comes to fighting for the ideals and values of his faith. So barb fits the idea well. Just wondering what other options there are.

Fore reference, stat rolls are: 16, 13, 14, 12, 14, 16. (Dm gives us a free feat at one or swap out for stat boost. .. ASI.)

Thanks in advance!

I'd start War Cleric, but then quickly swap over to Barb and stay there. Start 16+2 Str, 14 Dex, 13+1 Con, 12 Int, 16 Wis, 13 Cha. Use medium armor and a Maul. Grab GWM as your free feat and get Sentinel eventually. I could see possibly taking 2 or 3 Clerics levels eventually if you want more spells.

Subpar77
2018-10-10, 08:58 AM
I can see cleric for the domain spells and some initial buffs, maybe some minor healing. Would Paladin/Barb work?

Pal to about 5 or 6, which nets you an extra attack, asi, spells, a heal that works even while raging, damage bonus, and a fighting style. Zeal barb to 14 for all the nifty barb stuff and rage beyond death?

I guess what I'm asking here is what the benefit of cleric over pal for the purpose of the concept?

CTurbo
2018-10-10, 09:28 AM
Paladin/Barb works since you CAN smite while raging, and the Paladin's level 6 Aura of Protection is always "on" even while raging. You can't stack the extra attacks though so Paladin 5/Barb 5 will still only be 2 attacks per turn.

I think Cleric fits the theme better and the War Cleric will give you a limited bonus action attack which is awesome for a Barb as well as a free +10 to any attack per short rest for when you REALLY need to hit something.

Galadhrim
2018-10-10, 12:46 PM

Thanks in advance!

The biggest negative for a cleric/paladin multi class is MAD but with your rolls that isn't an issue at all. A few levels of cleric will allow you more spells for smiting so going all out with smite when called for will be less taxing. The only other overlap is that your channel divinity doesn't double, which is a bummer. War Cleric 2/devotion paladin X seems to fit well. Stats: 18 13 15 12 14 16 and start with great weapon master. Do a ton of damage from first level, have two ways to proc a bonus action attack, and get the character feel you are going for. Take res con at level 4.

Another option that would work well is a fighter 2/paladin x. Use action surge for the times when you need to go full tilt.

And of course, straight paladin is a melee monster. I think you could accomplish this concept very easily with paladin starting single classed.

GlenSmash!
2018-10-10, 12:55 PM
A Smiting while Raging Barbarian works just fine. In fact, you could use all you spells slots for smiting and never cast anything.

But remember in 5E a Paladin may not derive power from a God. They derive it from their Oath. so What Oath are you thinking of going with on the Paladin side?

CTurbo
2018-10-10, 06:31 PM
I don't see any real benefit from combining Cleric and Paladin together. There is more overlap than synergy for such a MAD combo