PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a template

ShadyRaven
2018-10-10, 08:00 AM
Hi guys, I am looking for a template (or multiple templates to stack) to apply to some NPCs for a campaign of D&D 3.5.

Desired abilities (in order of importance):

1. NPC becomes incorporeal.
2. NPC becomes an outsider.
3. NPC able to shapeshift at will (through a SLA or some other ability) when NOT on the material plane.

Do you have any ideas?
Failing that, how much would you think that a template like that is worth in CR? And what if the NPC was unlikely to be encountered outside of the material plane?

Thanks!

Goaty14
2018-10-10, 09:09 AM
Two Templates:
-Vivacious Creature (Planar Handbook OR Manual of the Planes, I forget), LA +5, CR+1-3 (HD dependent).
-Lycanthrope (Any) (MM1). It IS a shapeshifting ability, right?

Apply Lycanthrope to your favorite target of choice, and then apply vivacious to that. Lycanthrope lets the creature change its form, and vivacious makes it an outsider and incorporeal.

Thurbane
2018-10-10, 04:06 PM
Mulhorandi Divine Minion (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) + Phantom (MM5 p.130) would also work.

Crow_Nightfeath
2018-10-11, 01:22 PM
Well the incorporeal thing you can do spectral creature, and there is a half doppelganger template that can be added to humanoids. Though they can only turn into 3 humanoid forms each.

Crake
2018-10-11, 06:57 PM
Hi guys, I am looking for a template (or multiple templates to stack) to apply to some NPCs for a campaign of D&D 3.5.

Desired abilities (in order of importance):

3. NPC able to shapeshift at will (through a SLA or some other ability) when NOT on the material plane.

Do you have any ideas?
Failing that, how much would you think that a template like that is worth in CR? And what if the NPC was unlikely to be encountered outside of the material plane?

Thanks!

That bolded part is oddly specific. I don't think there's any shapeshifting abilities that don't function on the material plane specifically.

Bronk
2018-10-11, 07:18 PM

Dying and becoming a Ghostwalk ghost would take care of 1 and 2.

From there, I agree that being a lycanthrope or some other kind of natural shape shifter would be easiest. I think the cheapest way would be to have the NPC's first level be a commoner with the weresheep flaw. Being a Ghostwalk ghost on top of that, without any additional ghost feats, would at least make their shifting happen while they were incorporeal (they'd still technically be on the material plane).

tyckspoon
2018-10-11, 07:27 PM

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks!

Mildly cheaty solution to this: Cursed Psychoactive Skin of Proteus, with the curse being that it only works when you're not on the Material. Closest I can think of to doing something like this within the existing written rules. It sounds like you're basically creating a custom monster, tho, and you'd probably have better luck just going ahead and writing up what you want for yourself rather than try to hammer existing stuff into your particular weirdly-shaped puzzle gap.