PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Out of the Abyss "NPCs as Equipment?"

Grod_The_Giant
2018-10-10, 11:05 AM
A while ago I remember stumbling across a thread that suggested treating NPC allies as something more akin to equipment, with your buddy providing a few unique bonuses and special actions. I believe the thread also had all of the various fellow prisoners from Out of the Abyss written up in that format. Problem is, I'm running OOtA tonight, and I can't find that thread to save my life. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

the_brazenburn
2018-10-10, 12:01 PM
A while ago I remember stumbling across a thread that suggested treating NPC allies as something more akin to equipment, with your buddy providing a few unique bonuses and special actions. I believe the thread also had all of the various fellow prisoners from Out of the Abyss written up in that format. Problem is, I'm running OOtA tonight, and I can't find that thread to save my life. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Don't remember seeing it, but I could come up with some similar stats if you need them...

Unoriginal
2018-10-10, 12:28 PM
Why not just use them as NPCs? Their statblocks aren't that hard to use.

Sorry I can't help you find that thread, though. Have you tried the forum's search engine?

Grod_The_Giant
2018-10-10, 02:11 PM
Don't remember seeing it, but I could come up with some similar stats if you need them...
I think I'm going to have to write my own, yeah. Oh well.

I'm thinking each will give one skill boost, one passive ability, and one active ability. They'll also each be able to provide some amount of temp HP as a reaction, but if they're all gone the NPC dies.

Why not just use them as NPCs? Their statblocks aren't that hard to use.

Sorry I can't help you find that thread, though. Have you tried the forum's search engine?
Action economy, more than anything. Even handing some to the PCs to control, I do not want to have to deal with 15+ person combats.

clash
2018-10-10, 02:56 PM
I just started running out of the abyss and this seems like a fantastic idea. Let me know what you come up with

Grod_The_Giant
2018-10-10, 03:00 PM
Whelp, apparently I don't have work to do today. So.

Buppido 10 hp
The helpful derro

• Take the Hit: When you’re hit by an attack, you may have it damage your ally instead of yourself.
• Aid Another: When making Int or Wis checks to know about the Underdark and its peoples, you may roll 1d6 and add it to the result.
• Magic Resistance: Buppido’s presence disrupts magic, granting you +2 AC and saves against spells
• Sneak Attack: As an action, you may force a foe within 10ft to make a DC 13 Perception check. If it fails, Buppido stabs it for 3d6 piercing damage.

Prince Derendil 20 hp
The transformed elf

• Take the Hit: When you’re hit by an attack, you may have it damage your ally instead of yourself.
• Raw Strength: When making Str checks, you may roll 1d6 and add it to the result.
• Wounded Fury: If Derendil is been damaged, your weapon attacks deal +1d6 damage.
• Quaggoth Fist: As an action, you may have Derendil strike a foe within 5ft. He has a +5 attack bonus, and if he hits he deals 1d6 bludgeoning damage, and the target must make a DC 13 Str save or fall prone.

Eldeth Feldrun 15 hp
The lost dwarf

• Aid Another: When making Int checks related to stonework, or using smith’s tools, you may roll 1d6 and add it to the result.
• Bodyguard: Eldeth watches your back, giving you +1 AC
• Coordinated Attack: As a bonus action, Eldeth feints, granting you a +2 bonus on your next melee attack against a foe within 5ft.

Jimjar 10 hp
The gambling gnome

• Aid Another: When making Sleight of Hand checks, you may roll 1d6 and add it to the result.
• Gambler’s Luck: If you roll a natural 1 on a d20, you may immediately reroll.
• Svirfneblin Magic: Once per short rest, Jimjar may cast Blur or Blindness/Deafness.

Ront 15 hp
The bullying orc

• Aid Another: When making Intimidation checks, you may roll 1d6 and add it to the result.
• Aggression: Your speed increases by 10ft.
• Orcish Warcry: As an action, Ront may attempt to terrify a nearby foe. One creature within 30ft must make a DC 13 Wis save or be frightened for 1 round.

Sarith Kzekarit 15 hp
The disgraced drow

• Aid Another: When making Stealth checks, you may roll 1d6 and add it to the result.
• Paranoid: You cannot be surprised or affected by abilities such as Sneak Attack, and attacks by unseen creatures against you do not have advantage.
• Drow Magic: Once per short rest, Sarith may cast Darkness or Faerie Fire.

Shuushar the Awakened 10 hp
The zen koa-toa

• Aid Another: When making Persuasion or Deception checks to calm or defuse a situation, you may roll 1d6 and add it to the result.
• Frogstroke: You gain a 30ft swim speed.
• Aura of Peace: As an action, you may cast Sanctuary, with a save DC of 13.

Stool 10 hp
The friendly fungus

• Aid Another: When making Perception checks, you may roll 1d6 and add it to the result.
• Rapport Spores: You can understand (but not speak) all languages spoken within 30ft.
• Distress Spores: When you are damaged by a melee attack, you may use a reaction to force your attacker to make a DC 13 Con save or take 1d6 poison damage.

Topsy and Turvy 15 hp
The gnome twins

• Aid Another: When making Perception checks, you may roll 1d6 and add it to the result.
• Tangle of Twins: The area within 10ft of you is considered difficult terrain for enemies.
• Svirfneblin Magic: Once per short rest, the twins may cast Blur or Blindness/Deafness.

clash
2018-10-10, 07:32 PM
Thanks I will probably be tweaking some of these but I willbe using them