PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [Pathfinder][Spheres of Power] Classes with sphere restrictions?

Niztael
2018-10-10, 12:46 PM
I'll be using Spheres of Power in an upcoming campaign and am familiar with it, as is. I'm looking to have a more classic feel for the classes in the upcoming campaign, however. I'm looking for suggestions on sphere restrictions by class to help this along. Life being for Diving classes for instance, any help would be appreciated.

Mehangel
2018-10-10, 02:28 PM
In one game I ran, I separated spheres by casting tradition, including:
Arcane (conjuration, creation, destruction, illusion)
Blood (dark, death, time)
Druidic (alteration, nature, weather)
Divine Petitioner (fate, life, protection)
Inquisition (light, war, warp)
Psychic (divination, mind, telekinesis)

These restrictions could be bypassed by taking levels in spherecasting classes or archetypes that grant a specific sphere (gain illusion sphere w/ fey adept, alteration w/ shifter, etc).

digiman619
2018-10-10, 02:28 PM
With respect, no. I get the idea that you want restrictions for flavor reasons, but by class is not the way to do it. What you want to do is limit spheres by casting tradition. It makes much more sense that the gods have some casters that are warriors and some that are bookish (a Mageknight and a Fey Adept, for example) over "The more martial casters can't create things" (i.e., no Mageknights with the Creation sphere). There are also a lot of archetypes that convert classes to SoP, so unless you want to do the math to make an even distribution to all of them, it's not going to work. And how will multiclassing work? It just makes more sense to restrict via casting tradition rather than class.

Jorunkun
2018-10-10, 07:32 PM
This is probably what I like the most about Spheres: The ability to shape classes and, by extension, to world-build with it.

I think it's perfectly fine to limit life and death to divine traditions, or to ban traditions you don't like for worldbuilding reasons, ie. having no creation or warp spells because 'magic can't do that'.

Be careful about limiting access to Divination though - without it, casters cannot detect and read magic.

Niztael
2018-10-10, 08:55 PM
I hadn't thought of doing it by tradition, thank you for that. I can set up a set that may be universal, such as Divination. I appreciate the idea and will rework my ideology along those lines.