PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Word Given Form - how to maintain Dodge against multiple foes [3.5]

Chalhubard
2018-10-10, 01:36 PM
I'd like to turn your attention to the page 218 of Tome of Magic:

Benefit: When using the Dodge feat against an opponent, in addition to the +1 dodge bonus to AC, you also gain total concealment (50% miss chance) from that opponent as your form blurs and shifts.

Word Given Form is a martial art style, as introduced in Oriental Adventures. As such it is not a feat per se, rather an extension or addendum of a series of feats combined - therefore, an extraordinary ability, functioning in Antimagic Fields.

It is, then, an Ex total concealment, which cannot be defeated by the likes of see invisibility or true seeing. Now, what would make it work against multiple enemies?

So far, the only potential effect I have found seems to be PHBII's Combat Dodge, which allows you to switch the target of your Dodge as an immediate action, and, most notable RotW's Expeditious Dodge and ToB's Desert Wind Dodge, both of which grant a flat universal dodge bonus if you move 40 or 10ft, respectively. They also bring an interesting final bit:

Expeditious Dodge can be used in place of the Dodge feat to qualify for a feat, prestige class, or other special ability.

Emphasized section could potentially be interpreted as filling the requisites for Word Given Form's special effects. I'm, however, not 100% sold on that.

Potential feats to gain further benefit from an 'omni' dodge would be Titan Fighting, Melee Evasion, Elusive Target, and Defensive Throw.

What does the collective wisdom of the Playground say? Do we have any effects that could make Dodge applicable to every opponent during combat?

ATHATH
2018-10-10, 01:40 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?533976-A-martial-arts-style-for-Dodging

Chalhubard
2018-10-11, 08:23 AM
Damn, excellent thread! Thank you!

That's a bummer, sole effect that would make dodge work against multiple opponents is from Dragon; most GMs would give it a hard pass :(