PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a class

Kharneth
2018-10-10, 02:36 PM
So I'm having a hard time choosing a class. I've played some 3.5 and Pathfinder, so I'm not new necessarily, but this will be my first 5e character. I'm trying to make one that is Adventure League legal because that's most likely where I'll be running the character. I've had a couple ideas already that I've gotten help from on here, but there's always something that ends up bothering me.

The character that I've played with the most/am the most comfortable with was a Barbarian/Fighter hybrid, which is not possible in 5e (RIP Plate-Raging). I've also played a Cleric Necromancer, but found that a bunch of worthless minions was too disruptive logistically to be any fun, plus I dislike 5e Animate Dead with its 24 hour time limit.

I'm not sure what role I want to be in a party and honestly, if I had 3 other players I'd probably just choose whichever fit the party the best. These are the things I know I would like:

I would like to be able to hurt enemies in combat (even if I'm support, I want to be able to defend myself).
I would like to be offensive, not defensive.
I don't want to be doing the same thing all the time in combat, but I'm not saying I need Wizard-level versatility.
I don't want to have nothing to do outside of combat.

On my fighter I always felt like there was nothing I could really do unless we were fighting, I don't think I want to do that again. But, do I need to be Charisma class in order to have any meaningful actions in social situations?

I'm really not looking for thematic advice, but like insight into the mechanics of different classes/subclasses or what I can expect to be doing or capable of doing.

I've never played D&D with people I didn't already know and who won't necessarily attend the next session. What's the general AL culture? They say no evil characters, but do people still run characters that are total *****? Are people generally very interested in roleplaying or is it very combat oriented? I literally have no idea what to expect because I've been playing D&D with the same people I've always played with.

I really like the Oath of Redemption Paladin, but I'm worried about using that in AL. I've played a likeminded character before and it ended up feeling like I was as in conflict with my allies as I was with our enemies. And I don't need to be a paladin to play a character with those ideals, so this is more of an alignment question.

Necrosnoop110
2018-10-10, 03:04 PM
If you want armored murder hobo = Fighter
If you want armored murder hobo with some support features = Fighter + multiclass
If you want multifaceted armored warrior with support features then I think Paladin is the right prescription.

What's the general AL culture?
AL = ???

MilkmanDanimal
2018-10-10, 03:08 PM
Paladin gives you offense with smites, defense with heavy armor, and you'll likely have a higher Charisma so you can be the party face and be good at social skills.

Rogue will involve lots of either shooting arrows, or darting in and out of combat. How to use your bonus action is a big part of how to play Rogue, and the various subclasses will really switch things up. If you want offense plus lots of options, put points in INT and go Arcane Trickster; you'll get Sneak Attack for damage, enough spells to be interesting, and Rogues are huge skill monkeys in 5e.

tieren
2018-10-10, 03:09 PM
Find Battlerager (seriously look into it)

In the alternative, try a Moon circle druid.

Depending on the wildshape you choose you can be very tanky or more damage oriented, and out of combat can get mad utility (scout like a hawk, sneak like a church mouse, etc...) and the spells are cool too (conjure animals, plant growth, etc...).

TWrecks
2018-10-10, 03:14 PM
He’s my quick at lunch take.

Lore Bard - pretty versatile casting with magical secrets and lots of out of combat RP skills. Your in combat role will largely be concentrating on control spells and a little damage with an emergency holy word now n then.

Tempest Cleric - on of the more versatile caster with a big spell pool to chose from. Heavy armor / martial weapons. Go hill dwarf and use a whip with a shield and you can stand behind meat shields while still attacking while restricting the chance concentration gets interrupted. Hill dwarf also lets you dump strength and wear heavy armor. You get some really good blasting options with this subclass.

Paladin - this would definitely suit you.

Arcane trickster rogue - be a rogue but with spells. Get a familiar and be one of the best scouts in the game. Take sentinel feat or find other ways to get multiple sneak attacks in a round. You mage hand let’s you do all types of sneaky things including sneaking metal under peoples clothes for heat metal abuse.

Anyways those are my rambling thoughts after reading your post 👍

etrpgb
2018-10-10, 03:21 PM
It seems to me you want to play a Dueling Paladin with Oath of Vengeance or Oath of Conquest. As race the obvious choice is Half-Elf, but there is plenty that are good. Probably you'd go with City Watch or Courtier background.

Cha is super important for many Paladin powers and you get acceptable Skills for a Face. You will decide if you want a Str or Dex based build and go killing stuff!

Nidgit
2018-10-10, 03:31 PM
You've got a lot of options!

If you're prioritizing combat, Battlemaster and Eldritch Knight both give you a lot of combat versatility to keep things interesting on your turns. Barbarians also have a bit of tactical management in combat, but several of the classes have some exploration fluff that might be appealing.

Valor Bard is great for combat and support, with obviously plenty of options. Bards are great! Swords Bard is less support and trades medium armor for resource-dependent extra damage and AC. And the rest of the Bards are fine too if you pick up Booming Blade, they just don't get as much armor.

Ranger and Paladin are both excellent options that balance damage, support, and other skills. Paladins play tankier and more social while Rangers are better scouts and explorers.

Warlocks are also versatile and routinely good at combat. Limited casting but better cantrips, and the modular options to work however you'd like. Hexblade leans more melee and Celestial does more support, but again all subclasses have something to offer.

Unoriginal
2018-10-10, 03:35 PM
Devotion Paladin might be what you want.

Kharneth
2018-10-10, 03:43 PM
I've looked at Paladin a lot and can see myself following either Redemption or Vengeance. I'm worried about Redemption, I don't think it'll play well unless I'm in a group that's actively good. Vengeance really makes me want to make a demon hunter/slayer.

Arcane Trickster is interesting, how much Int would one need? I guess a rogue doesn't require many ability points, just Dex and Con?

I've looked at Battlerager. I'd have to be a Dwarf and I still wouldn't be armored, but spikes are cool.

One day I will go Fighter again and I'll be a Crossbowman, because I could never make a viable one before.

I've never looked at Moon Druid or Bard before. I've never really thought of Bard as a serious class. I'll check out Moon Druid and Tempest Cleric, though. Idk if Clerics the way, though I feel like there'd be other domains I'd choose before Tempest.

Thanks for the responses. Paladin does seem like a useful choice as they've got melee, social skills, and can cast spells.

Max_Killjoy
2018-10-10, 03:44 PM
On the question of picking a class (or classes) -- How important is "archetype fluff" when using a character class to build a character?

That is, are you creating a Paladin or Warlock or whatever... or are you creating a character and using the various classes as a toolkit to find the mechanical build that best models the character you have in mind?

Does a Warlock actually NEED a literal patron, or is that just a set of mechanics?

Does a Paladin need anything more than something to adhere to, some oath or principle, or are the "fluff" details of the particular Oaths critical?

Kharneth
2018-10-10, 03:57 PM
On the question of picking a class (or classes) -- How important is "archetype fluff" when using a character class to build a character?

That is, are you creating a Paladin or Warlock or whatever... or are you creating a character and using the various classes as a toolkit to find the mechanical build that best models the character you have in mind?

Does a Warlock actually NEED a literal patron, or is that just a set of mechanics?

Does a Paladin need anything more than something to adhere to, some oath or principle, or are the "fluff" details of the particular Oaths critical?

It honestly depends. Generally, I view the classes as mechanics for me to make a character. Other times I really like the fluff of a particular class or subclass. I don't like altering anything if there's a better option, like I wouldn't want to play as a divine Fighter over a Paladin. And I don't want to disregard any fluff that comes with a class or subclass, I'd prefer to add to it instead of replace it. I like the more generic classes because of this. I couldn't play a Warlock and pretend I don't have a pact with an otherworldly being, but I could play a Cleric without a god and instead just an ideal (like how Paladins are now).

Right now I don't have a character in mind.

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-10, 03:58 PM
The Battlemaster Fighter provides a lot of what you're describing. It will have a lot of diversity for what you'd be interested in. It does lack a bit with RP-support abilities, but it's the most diverse non-magic combat unit in the game ATM.

The Monk is very similar to the Battlemaster, with emphasis on mobility over damage/defense. Their wisdom abilities can also tie in to RP elements pretty often, too. For versatility in combat, I'd recommend the Open Hand monk for melee combat, or the Kensei for melee+ranged.

Both the Monk and the Fighter are offense-oriented. Their priority is to hurt enemies first and defend second.

The Paladin/Cleric are more targeted towards versatility, defense, and utility abilities. There are exceptions (the War Cleric being an offensive Cleric), but most of these characters will follow the same trends.

Paladins are generally a good choice to pick, as they're well rounded and most newcomers to DnD will pick a ranged character to utilize cool spells and will forget about their front line. With the paladin's natural defensive auras and healing abilities, they do well in most parties at low levels. They also have the means of dealing extremely high burst damage, killing foes in just a few swings.

The Cleric is similar to the Paladin, but with more focus on magic, ranged, and concentration spells. They can frontline, but they should be thinking about what's needed by the party rather than blindly attacking. Sometimes a safekly sustained Bless is better than an extra melee attack.

The Ranger is a mixture of both worlds, combining versatility with offensive power. The fact that they use Dexterity means they can attribute to both ranged and melee combat well, and they provide enough out-of-combat utility that any is a valued addition to a team.

So far, my favorite build has been Rogue 2/Fighter X (Into Battlemaster), to gain valuable Dexterity skills for out of combat, followed by getting plenty of options to mix up combat scenarios with Battlemaster effects (that can be used for both ranged and melee attacks, BTW). Combined, you're a ranged combatant that can cripple you near or far, hide in the shadows, and land brutal sneak attacks. You can also fuel your own Sneak Attacks without a Hide check via Feinting Attack. If something comes close, you tear them up with Two Weapon Fighting and your medium armor AC. Best part is, with Medium Armor Master, you can get the highest armor AC with a 16 Dexterity.

etrpgb
2018-10-10, 03:58 PM
One day I will go Fighter again and I'll be a Crossbowman, because I could never make a viable one before.

If thats what you want, you are ready for a threat. The Crossbowman is one of the most powerful build you can do; I do not want to derail the topic too much, but keep a Longbow with you and Light Crossbow all the time. Go Archery Fighter (Samurai or Battle Master), pick the Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter feats and two levels as Rogue... kill everything.

However you won't have much skills outside killing...

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-10, 04:04 PM
If thats what you want, you are ready for a threat. The Crossbowman is one of the most powerful build you can do; I do not want to derail the topic too much, but keep a Longbow with you and Light Crossbow all the time. Go Archery Fighter (Samurai or Battle Master), pick the Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter feats and two levels as Rogue... kill everything.

Key thing about the Samurai is that it uses your bonus action for the advantage. Crossbow Expert + Rogue is a great choice, as you get additional attacks and more options to pull off sneak attack, but I don't know if you necessarily need that if you're already going Fighter.

Kharneth
2018-10-10, 04:11 PM
So far, my favorite build has been Rogue 2/Fighter X (Into Battlemaster), to gain valuable Dexterity skills for out of combat, followed by getting plenty of options to mix up combat scenarios with Battlemaster effects (that can be used for both ranged and melee attacks, BTW). Combined, you're a ranged combatant that can cripple you near or far, hide in the shadows, and land brutal sneak attacks. You can also fuel your own Sneak Attacks without a Hide check via Feinting Attack. If something comes close, you tear them up with Two Weapon Fighting and your medium armor AC. Best part is, with Medium Armor Master, you can get the highest armor AC with a 16 Dexterity.

I like the idea of being able to use my abilities in melee and at range is very appealing, but doesn't Sneak Attack become a waste if you keep it at 1d6? What class/subclass excels at alternating between close and ranged combat? I imagine Rogue, Ranger, and Fighter?

GlenSmash!
2018-10-10, 04:21 PM
I've looked at Paladin a lot and can see myself following either Redemption or Vengeance. I'm worried about Redemption, I don't think it'll play well unless I'm in a group that's actively good. Vengeance really makes me want to make a demon hunter/slayer.

Arcane Trickster is interesting, how much Int would one need? I guess a rogue doesn't require many ability points, just Dex and Con?

Just about any class works fine with 14 Con.

I've looked at Battlerager. I'd have to be a Dwarf and I still wouldn't be armored, but spikes are cool.

Battleragers are armored, just in Medium Armor. If by armored you mean "in Heavy Armor" then I guess the aren't.

Still I don't think it's a good option for you based on you criteria.

I've never looked at Moon Druid or Bard before. I've never really thought of Bard as a serious class. I'll check out Moon Druid and Tempest Cleric, though. Idk if Clerics the way, though I feel like there'd be other domains I'd choose before Tempest.

Bard is a seriously good class in 5e. Very Versatile. Moon druids are great, but you must love shapeshifting. Tempest Cleric is probably the most straight up offense oriented cleric and they still get the great list of cleric support spells.

Thanks for the responses. Paladin does seem like a useful choice as they've got melee, social skills, and can cast spells.

Paladin is a solid choice. Prepare spells as you think will be useful out of combat and you will still have the opportunity to use them in combat as smite fuel.

Kharneth
2018-10-10, 04:27 PM
So, for Arcane Trickster would I be trying to 16 Int and bumping to 20 along with my Dex or how does that look? Is it possible to keep a low Int and grabbing spells that don't require high Int? Not sure how many useful spells don't have attack rolls or saving throws. I kinda like the idea of Arcane Trickster as I'll be able to fight at pretty much the same potency regardless of my distance from the enemy.

I think Battlerager was suggested because of my mention of my Barbarian/Fighter, medium armors just not the same - adding dex makes things too messy.

Paladin seems very versatile with an emphasis on melee.

I'm kinda digging the idea of being a rogue and using dex+sneak attack to deal with my enemies in whichever way is the least convenient for them.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-10-10, 04:42 PM
So, for Arcane Trickster would I be trying to 16 Int and bumping to 20 along with my Dex or how does that look? Is it possible to keep a low Int and grabbing spells that don't require high Int? Not sure how many useful spells don't have attack rolls or saving throws. I kinda like the idea of Arcane Trickster as I'll be able to fight at pretty much the same potency regardless of my distance from the enemy.

I think Battlerager was suggested because of my mention of my Barbarian/Fighter, medium armors just not the same - adding dex makes things too messy.

Paladin seems very versatile with an emphasis on melee.

I'm kinda digging the idea of being a rogue and using dex+sneak attack to deal with my enemies in whichever way is the least convenient for them.

Don't know if I'd bump it up, but, starting as a High Elf, it's feasible to have 16/16 DEX/INT at level 1, and 12 CON typically should work for a hit-and-run Rogue. Having high DEX and INT means you inherently have good stats for a pretty high proportion of the stats in the game, and you can put your 13 (presuming standard array) into either WIS or CHA, depending on what other skills you want to be decent at. One of the huge benefits to an Arcane Trickster is you get your Mage Hand as a bonus action, and it's invisible, so picking pockets from 30 feet away. It's one of the more fun classes around, really, and has flexibility in all sorts of situations.

Kane0
2018-10-10, 04:50 PM
The character that I've played with the most/am the most comfortable with was a Barbarian/Fighter hybrid, which is not possible in 5e (RIP Plate-Raging)

Totally feasible with a touch multiclassing, you only lose unarmored AC and the +10' speed bonus in heavy armor. Everything else works just fine and you even get nice things like fighting style and action surge from the fighter half.

I would like to be able to hurt enemies in combat (even if I'm support, I want to be able to defend myself).

Anything that gets Extra Attack (Fighter, Barbarian, Paladin, Ranger, Valor Bard, Blade Warlock, Bladesinger Wizard, even War Cleric and Swashbuckler Rogue to an extent)

I don't want to be doing the same thing all the time in combat, but I'm not saying I need Wizard-level versatility.

Well you get a minimum of 4 skill proficiencies, picking Athletics is great for grappling in combat and the others can all contribute to situations depending on what you select. Most characters also get one or more tool proficiencies for extra things to do, and ritual casting (via class or feat) is another big category of out-of-combat options.

Do I need to be Charisma class in order to have any meaningful actions in social situations?

You do not. Proficiency is usually plenty enough, though you can also get expertise from a couple of sources like a bit of Rogue or Bard or a Feat. That said if you're in a party with a dedicated face they will usually end up making the checks.

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-10, 04:51 PM
I like the idea of being able to use my abilities in melee and at range is very appealing, but doesn't Sneak Attack become a waste if you keep it at 1d6? What class/subclass excels at alternating between close and ranged combat? I imagine Rogue, Ranger, and Fighter?

1d6 damage is 1d6 damage. It doesn't cost anything for you to use, so it's just free damage tacked on. I picked level 2 because it gives you options for your bonus actions, as well as a ton of mobility features and easy stealth that all scale with your main ability score.

You can bump Rogue up to level 3 if you want to, as this gives you 2d6 sneak attack damage and the options to pick a Rogue archetype as well. Scout would make you very mobile in melee combat and hard to pin down unless it's under your terms. Assassin would let you crit on your attacks when you have surprise, which also can be utilized by your superiority die.

It really depends on how much range you want vs. melee. For the optimal balance, I say Rogue 2 and Fighter for the rest, as you get bigger hit die, more feats, and you don't need much more for RP and versatility than a decent Dex, stealth, sleight of hand, acrobatics, hide as a bonus action, and expertise.

Combat-wise, you're not about jumping in-and-out of ranged/melee combat, it's about being able to have that choice without any loss of power. It'd be a similar playstyle to the Kensei, but the Kensei does nothing but attack all day. The overall goal will be to skirmish at range, using your special attacks, and then closing into melee combat once they're already half dead.

The best part is, a good monk has 3 ability scores, but my build only requires 2. Not to mention, of those two ability scores, only one of them controls your AC and you only need 16 in it to get a stupid AC of 19 (with a feat). Tack on Dual Wielder and make it an even 20.

Level 6, 20 AC, has only a 16 Dex as your highest needed ability score, can bonus action stealth with a +9 bonus with no disadvantage, equally proficient in ranged attacks and melee. And that's before including all of your special attacks.

Cons: You push back your extra attack by two levels to get 1d6 sneak attack, hiding, mobility and skills now.

Kharneth
2018-10-10, 05:16 PM
Man_Over_Game, I'm just unsure why Hiding is a useful use of your bonus action if it's only giving you a d6 sneak attack damage as a result. Everything else about the build I like. I don't want to jump in and out of ranged/melee combat, I want to have the flexibility to use whatever the situation calls for. I'm thinking Arcane Trickster with a mixture of melee and ranged weapons will work for my needs. Putting three levels into Fighter and taking the medium armor feat might be worthwhile for a couple maneuvers.

Kane0 if you know how to make Rage work while wearing heavy armor please let me know.

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-10, 05:22 PM
Man_Over_Game, I'm just unsure why Hiding is a useful use of your bonus action if it's only giving you a d6 sneak attack damage as a result. Everything else about the build I like. I don't want to jump in and out of ranged/melee combat, I want to have the flexibility to use whatever the situation calls for. I'm thinking Arcane Trickster with a mixture of melee and ranged weapons will work for my needs. Putting three levels into Fighter and taking the medium armor feat might be worthwhile for a couple maneuvers.

Kane0 if you know how to make Rage work while wearing heavy armor please let me know.

Hiding in combat provides advantage to your attack, assuming you have some form of adequate cover. That's effectively +5 to hit and +1d6 damage at range, which is pretty solid.

Hiding out of combat is used as an RP tool (stalking a target, getting information, getting away), and can be used to Surprise your enemies (they miss out on their first action in the round, and grant you free critical hits if you're an Assassin Rogue).

Notably, you also get Disengage and Dash for free with that bonus action Hide, so maneuvering around enemies will no longer be a concern.

Key note, there's two kinds of cover: Partial and Full. Partial is akin to a light fog, a heavy rain, or moderate foliage and can only hide you with a special effect (such as the racial bonus from Wood Elves) or if the enemy is adequately distracted or not aware of you from the start. Full cover is straight up invisibility, a wall, blindness on the enemy trying to see you, or a dense fog you can cut with a knife (as the Fog Cloud spell).
For most people, in combat, you need full cover to initiate a hide action, and partial cover to maintain it. There's nothing stopping you from hiding behind adequate cover, taking a shot around the corner and then popping back into cover to hide again after you are no longer hidden. RAI, you can do that pretty much every turn, as long as an enemy doesn't see you while you try to hide.

Kane0
2018-10-10, 06:33 PM

Ah my mistake, thought Spiked Armor from SCAG was heavy armor.

That said, half plate is medium armor and nothing is stopping you from using a shield. The only real benefits of 'real' heavy armor is 1-2 AC and the ability to take the Mastery feat for DR/3 against nonmagical weapons. Barbarians can actually have a better AC bare-chested with enough Dex and Con.

Edit: Potentially there is also this (http://mfov.magehandpress.com/2016/03/path-of-iron.html) if your DM is open to it.

Kharneth
2018-10-10, 07:38 PM
There's nothing stopping you from hiding behind adequate cover, taking a shot around the corner and then popping back into cover to hide again after you are no longer hidden. RAI, you can do that pretty much every turn, as long as an enemy doesn't see you while you try to hide.

This is pretty much what I was thinking.

Kane0 no worries. When I read through the descriptions of all the classes the barbarian was definitely my favorite, but I'd absolutely want to subclass into Berserker. I know the fatigue is a little annoying. Two handed weapons are what's stopping me from wielding a shield, but AC was never my concern anyway. I want heavy armor for the sake of knowing I'm wearing the heaviest armor and carrying the most powerful weapon. I could definitely do half plate with 14 dex and be happy at 17 AC.

Keravath
2018-10-10, 08:07 PM
There are lots of good classes to choose from. (Coming from 1e through 4e ... I'd honestly say that there really aren't any bad choices in 5e ... though perhaps a few less good ones :) and a couple of combinations that can stand out).

However, most folks have addressed your character questions ... I'll try to answer some of your AL ones since all my 5e play experience has been AL.

AL is fun but the experience may vary based on the people and "culture" of an individual location or store.

You can have different people and characters each week so it is best sometimes to not have an over specialized character. It is nice to be able to contribute to whatever the module may require.

However, historically, there is a significant combat focus in AL, roleplaying will largely depend on the specific players. Most modules I have seen/played through season 7 are largely written around 2 or 3 combat encounters. Some will have some investigation/exploration or travel but these are usually not the focus. The main reason for this is that in past seasons of AL, advancement was based on XP and XP was generally awarded for killing monsters. Modules would provide a minimum and maximum range for XP possible but if you wanted to receive the maxiumum XP it often required a scorched earth policy against the creatures and sometimes even NPCs in the module. Thus there could be a significant combat focus just to maximize XP.

This has changed with season 8 (since the XP and treasure reward rules have changed) and, at least at the store I play at, has caused a notable and positive change in the way people are playing. There has been more roleplaying and a greater emphasis on overcoming the obstacle rather than killing all the creatures for XP. There is still combat but now some folks at least try alternate resolution tactics like persuasion or deception or out of combat spell use like suggestion or charm to deal with the challenge. The DM can also have the NPCs react more naturally rather than having every one fight to the death.

[Theoretically, past seasons were supposed to reward XP for overcoming the challenge but in practice this was not the way it worked.]

Socially, AL is also a bit different from a regular group. You may only slowly get to know the other players (if at all). Some folks will show up for the module and immediately leave. Others might stick around and chat giving the opportunity to get to know them better.

Sometimes, you will know the character names long before you learn the real names of the players unless you make an effort to introduce yourself (at least if there is a decent sized group of folks playing at the store). The store I play at probably has 50 or so regulars that play weekly/biweekly plus some more that play less frequently. This means that you won't know what characters will be played since typically each player will have multiple characters. I've played a module where four out of the seven characters were bards. We pretended to be a band :)

-------------------

Anyway some of the more powerful builds ...

Crossbow Expert/Sharpshooter - Fighter or Ranger typically with archery - a class with extra attack anyway ... crossbow expert gives an additional bonus action attack with a crossbow and sharpshooter has the potential for extra damage but it is a trade off.

Polearm Master/Great Weapon Master - Fighter, maybe Barbarian - basically the same combination as above except for melee using a Glaive/halberd ... heavy, two handed polearm.

Sorcerer/Warlock - for quickened eldritch blast + other meta magic + spells ... usually warlock 2 or 3 and sorcerer X

One of my favorites
Bard/warlock ... warlock 2 and bard X ... a good supporting spell casting class and the warlock dip can provide decent ranged damage for turns when you don't have a spell to cast ... I like lore bard in this case.

Arcane trickster rogue is fun - they do not need much int unless you want to take attack spells and need a high DC ... however, their spell selection is limited and a lot of them are illusion where DC isn't much of an issue. One key item is to have some mechanisms to generate advantage so you can have a sneak attack ... sneak attack requires an ally adjacent to your target or advantage to be able to use it. I'll note that Assassin can be over-rated since surprise rounds aren't common in 5e so they don't often get the surprise benefit.

Paladin - quite a good class - extra attack - ability to spend spell slots to smite for extra damage and auras that help everyone's saving throw at 6th level, radiant damage at 11.

To be honest, in my opinion, all the classes have something to offer which is actually one of the more appealing aspects of 5e. It mostly depends on what you want to play.

One thing to keep in mind is that in AL, depending on your local store, it is quite possible that you can actually play your character through to level 20. The store I play at does run tier 1 to 4 modules and there are some players who have leveled multiple characters to level 20. As a result, it can be worthwhile looking at how you think the character will play through each of the tiers. Also, keep in mind that you can completely rebuild an AL character every session if you like until you hit level 5. After playing the character in their first tier 2 adventure at level 5 you can't change the class/race/etc anymore (though you are free to change the fluff at any time .. gender etc).

Kharneth
2018-10-10, 08:22 PM
Thanks Keravath, that's all very helpful to know.

I really like the Redemption Paladin, but I'm wondering if I can use a Wizard, Cleric, Druid, or Sorcerer instead but still exemplify the same oath of redemption fluff that comes with the paladin. Like, if there's a spell list that can be used to aid a peaceful character. The only thing that bothers me about being a redemption paladin is walking around fully armored and with a weapon of war trying to find peace.

I got really inspired by a Black Sabbath song named Wizard a while back when I made my WoW Mage. Maybe that'll be the character a make, a Wizard (or other Mage class) who just travels around spreading his magic and just generally being pleasant to be around. Like a less-epic Gandalf.

What are the big noticeable differences between playing a Wizard and Sorcerer? Metamagic vs Ritual casting? I know wizards know more spells and can find new spells, etc.

I should also mention that I'll be going with a friend whose going to be a Battle Master with a Halberd.

Kane0
2018-10-10, 08:46 PM
Life Cleric, Celestial Warlock or Divine Soul Sorcerer? Shepherd Druid too come to think of it.

Sorcerers have a very limited choice of spells but when the right ones are paired up with the right metamagics can allow you to dominate within that speciality, such as twinning Haste. Wizards can afford to pack a bunch of different multitools with their schools offering a milder focus on their field of specialization.
Wizards are much harder to 'get wrong' than sorcerers, who need a touch of finesse with the mechanics to 'get right'

Kharneth
2018-10-10, 09:22 PM
How does Agile Parry work from Kensei? Can I make a melee attack with a kensei weapon, use the bonus action for an unarmed strike, and then benefit from the +2 AC? Or do I have to not attack with the weapon?

I'm not quite sure if I want to go with a melee&ranged fighter or a fun spell caster. I definitely think Sorcerers are cooler than Wizards, I just don't like any of the sorcerer subclasses.

McSkrag
2018-10-10, 09:50 PM
I'm really not looking for thematic advice, but like insight into the mechanics of different classes/subclasses or what I can expect to be doing or capable of doing.

I've never played D&D with people I didn't already know and who won't necessarily attend the next session. What's the general AL culture? They say no evil characters, but do people still run characters that are total *****? Are people generally very interested in roleplaying or is it very combat oriented? I literally have no idea what to expect because I've been playing D&D with the same people I've always played with.

Most of the people that play weekly AL in game stores are nice and I've met some really cool people as well. Like every group there is the occasional person who's difficult but I have yet to run into anyone who is a total ****.

The level of RP is a bit random depending on the DM and players you wind up with. Most of the time it is secondary to the adventure storyline and combat.

The crowd will be a mix of regulars and new people. After you've been a few times you should start seeing the same regulars and then you can start finding a loose group of folks you know you will have fun with.

I would start with a cleric since they are a very balanced mix of combat, support, and utility so you'll always have something to do. Also, a cleric is always helpful to the party.

Keep in mind you can completely rebuild your character up to level 4, so you could start as one thing and change up for the next session. You could even have different versions of the same character and decide what to play at game time. At level 5 you have to lock your build in.

Personally I really enjoy AL and have met some cool folks.

Kharneth
2018-10-10, 10:08 PM
I'm thinking I might play a Druid since that'll give me flexibility both in and out of combat. With different forms and spells I think I'll be able to pretty much anything I want to. I'll just have to figure out some explanation for my character because I don't really care for the whole nature aspect of the class.

McSkrag
2018-10-10, 10:28 PM
I'm thinking I might play a Druid since that'll give me flexibility both in and out of combat. With different forms and spells I think I'll be able to pretty much anything I want to. I'll just have to figure out some explanation for my character because I don't really care for the whole nature aspect of the class.

A druid is also a good choice for the same reasons as cleric. Play whatever you think you'll have fun with. After a few sessions you will probably have a much better idea of what you want to play level 5+.

etrpgb
2018-10-12, 08:01 AM
How does Agile Parry work from Kensei? Can I make a melee attack with a kensei weapon, use the bonus action for an unarmed strike, and then benefit from the +2 AC? Or do I have to not attack with the weapon?

One Attack must be from unarmed strike. The other, if you have it, can be from anything. That's RAW, I think it is unfortunate that Kensei basically are "Monk with a slightly more powerful weapon" and the first power stops you to use it fully... Still, Kensei opens up to the Longbow and reach via Whips. Basically I think every Kensai at level 6 will have Longbow, Long sword (or numerically equivalent weapon), and Whip for reach. About raw power the Open Hand is probably a bit better, but still Kensei are not bad by any means.

etrpgb
2018-10-12, 08:07 AM
I'm thinking I might play a Druid since that'll give me flexibility both in and out of combat.

I played a Moon Druid for long time and they are fairly fun. Just consider that you cannot speak while in beast form and the transformations change in power a lot during the levels, very powerful at level 2; become hardly useful at level 5; come back at 6, falls down again until 8 and finally you have another peak at 11.

Accy_Sevin
2018-10-12, 10:57 AM
Since you have a penchant for playing barbarians maybe take a level or 3 of barbarian on your moon druid. Rage+Wild Shape is a lot of fun. Characterize your druidic powers as being so angry magic happens. :smallsmile:

Cheers

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-12, 11:36 AM
I played a Moon Druid for long time and they are fairly fun. Just consider that you cannot speak while in beast form and the transformations change in power a lot during the levels, very powerful at level 2; become hardly useful at level 5; come back at 6, falls down again until 8 and finally you have another peak at 11.

Coincidentally (intentionally?), those drops are the same points that your spellcasting gets buffed.

Moon Druids seem a lot weaker when you ignore the casting half of the class, but I see a lot of people do that.

etrpgb
2018-10-12, 04:26 PM
Coincidentally (intentionally?), those drops are the same points that your spellcasting gets buffed.

Moon Druids seem a lot weaker when you ignore the casting half of the class, but I see a lot of people do that.

It is probably intentional. I think the main reason people forget about that is that one plays a Moon Druid to transform, so one focuses on long duration (possibly without concentration) buffs and not the whole spellcasting ability. Thinking about it, I transformed much less when I was level 5 than earlier or later.

I never played higher levels, but I guess the whole problem will disappear at level 18th when finally a Druid can cast most spells while in wildshape. Funnily one still cannot speak in Wildshape. Hopefully you have a wizard casting Telepathic Link...

etrpgb
2018-10-12, 05:01 PM

The Crossbowman again answers. He always has a Longbow and a Light Crossbow and if the target is between 320 and 600 feet of distance he uses the bow; otherwise including in melee he uses the Light Crossbow. The idea is to use Sharpshooter most of the time for its +10 to damage per attack.

To use the feat you have to pay a -5 to hit. But since The Crossbowman is an Archer Figher it is basically only a -3. The Advantage mechanics means you get at least 15 on the d20 about half of the times so basically it nullifies the -5.

If you have any way to obtain Advantage (e.g., your friendly wizard casts Minor Illusion in front of your character making the Crossbowman an unseen attacker) with your Bonus Action you will just do another attack (via Crossbow Expert). Otherwise you can Hide (via Cunning Action) to have Advantage; a part of damage don't forget you can use Menacing Attack to stop enemies from coming near.
If the those pesky attackers manage to actually arrive in Melee you can Disengage or even Dash (again via Cunning Action).

Otherwise, if fleeing is not an option just your Superiority Die to use Feinting Attack... The Crossbowman also always has a dusty Rapier, he does not use it much; but it is necessary for some Maneuvers.

Asmotherion
2018-10-12, 05:13 PM
So I'm having a hard time choosing a class. I've played some 3.5 and Pathfinder, so I'm not new necessarily, but this will be my first 5e character. I'm trying to make one that is Adventure League legal because that's most likely where I'll be running the character. I've had a couple ideas already that I've gotten help from on here, but there's always something that ends up bothering me.

The character that I've played with the most/am the most comfortable with was a Barbarian/Fighter hybrid, which is not possible in 5e (RIP Plate-Raging). I've also played a Cleric Necromancer, but found that a bunch of worthless minions was too disruptive logistically to be any fun, plus I dislike 5e Animate Dead with its 24 hour time limit.

I'm not sure what role I want to be in a party and honestly, if I had 3 other players I'd probably just choose whichever fit the party the best. These are the things I know I would like:

On my fighter I always felt like there was nothing I could really do unless we were fighting, I don't think I want to do that again. But, do I need to be Charisma class in order to have any meaningful actions in social situations?

I really like the Oath of Redemption Paladin, but I'm worried about using that in AL. I've played a likeminded character before and it ended up feeling like I was as in conflict with my allies as I was with our enemies. And I don't need to be a paladin to play a character with those ideals, so this is more of an alignment question.

Can I just point out how all your concerns just sound Warlock to me?

Let's adress your points:

Either Eldritch Blasting, or as a Hexblade, you're hurting enemies alright. Even if you're not optimised for damage, with a minimum investment, you're on the same DPT league as the Big Guns, like the Fighter. Optimisation (With Multiclassing) can mean you'll out-damage the Paladin.

Good News: You can be both. Especially as a Hexblade. Either way, you have some great deffensive spells (for example Armor of Agathys), spells that buff your offense (Hex) and a great main weapon (Eldritch Blast). More than that, you are an actual spellcaster, which means you can rotate between what you do, pick the right spells, and form an offensive strategy. You do more than just "attack roll" every turn (at least if you want to do so).

See above. As a spellcaster, you can form a strategy of how you use your limited spell slots. You have like two spell slots (most of your playthrough) every short rest, so you have to be extra careful how to use them. On the other hand, it's less complicated than playing a Wizard, because, as soon as you've used those spell slots, you fall back to your main weapon (Eldritch Blast), and possibly a spell or two you have at-will for versality... and don't forget your other cantrips.

Never been a problem for me. From cantrips, to at-will spells, to character development, to just cracking a magical prank on someone else... Lots of RP there. If you feel your character needs something to be included, it's nothing a prestidigitation/minor illusion/silent image prank can't fix. Need to be suddently good at something? Get Pact of the Tome->Guidance (Lots of RP there as well, since it's a great opportunity to ask for guidance from your parton).

At least that's my interpretation.