PDA

View Full Version : Tentacle Monsters of the Anime fans

VolcanicErupt
2018-10-10, 03:12 PM
If you guys could help me find some monsters, that'd be great. I need Tentacle monsters CRs 1-9 that have good tentacle numerous attacks per turn. Also good would be attacks like rend, which happen automatically when tentacles hit, or bleeding effects when they hit.

The best example I know of is the YUGOLOTH, ECHINOLOTH from Stormwrack.

Please help. Anything in the game would be fine, but only good sources like Dragon Mag or MMs.

Malphegor
2018-10-10, 03:28 PM
For swarm type weak stuff in large numbers you could steal the stuff the Fleshwarper prc from Lords of Madness gives familiars and pcs except apply it to their wild counterparts. Instead of rats, you now have rats that are amorphous and have weak (1 damage each within 5 feet) tentacles with eyes that protrude out like beholders do (so they cannot be flanked).

Not sure on anything more dangerous than that.

Malimar
2018-10-10, 03:39 PM
Grell (Lords of Madness) have 10 tentacle attacks. That's the most tentacles I can think of offhand. CR3, can paralyze (not a separate save for each hit, but one save where the DC goes up by 1 for each hit). Fancier and less-fancy versions are available in the same chapter.

OgresAreCute
2018-10-10, 03:50 PM
Various abberation-themed templates might work. Pseudonatural (both versions), half-illithids, half-farspawn. Octopi and squids have lots of tentacles and could be made to function land if you wanted to.

Thurbane
2018-10-10, 03:56 PM
Yugoloth, Voor has rend. CR 4 (or 9 for Dreadful Lasher).
Beholder, Bleeder has blood drain. CR 8
Mind Flayer, Vampire, has blood drain. CR 9

Darrin
2018-10-10, 03:56 PM
CR1: Darkmantle (MM).
CR3: Grick (MM).
CR3: Grell (MM2).
CR4: Tsochar (Lords of Madness).
CR7: Darktentacles (MM2).

daremetoidareyo
2018-10-10, 04:00 PM
Savage species has the anthro octopus and the anthro giant squid

Maat Mons
2018-10-10, 04:10 PM
I always liked the tako, from Oriental Adventures.

Afgncaap5
2018-10-10, 04:23 PM
I liked Monte Cook's note that you can just take the CR 1 squid, make it immobile-ish, put it on land, take away the ink cloud, give it some teamwork benefits, put five of them in one place, and hey, boss fight against the five fingers of a giant tentacle monster.

Zaq
2018-10-11, 01:26 AM
Isn't there a variant on the roper that's lower than CR 12?

Fizban
2018-10-11, 04:00 AM
If you apply the Pseudonatural template to something it can turn into a mass of tentacles (no stat changes other than people take -1 on attacks 'cause it looks weird). Do this before the PCs see it and describe all of its natural weapons as tentacles rather than their original forms, and you can use whatever existing stats you want as a tentacle monster. Slap it on a Girallon and turn those four rending claws into "tentacles."

No mention of Carrion Crawler yet? Also right there in MM1, with 8 paralyzing tentacles. Given CR is 4, but they're so squishy there's a good chance you could count them as lower.

Bonedrinkers (MM3) have tentacles, only the two but you could refluff the bonedrinking into bleeding. The Ironthorn (Sandstorm) is a CR 6 plant with only two vines, but it grabs people and impales them. Kelp Anglers (Fiend Folio) have 4 tendrils with the usual grab and some SLAs at CR 6. The Energons from Planar Handbook are CR 5 and have four energized tentacles- also incorporeal.

unseenmage
2018-10-11, 02:25 PM
Voidmind template puts one gooey ooze tentacle into a creatures skull where its brain ought to be.

For that true gross factor Warbeast or Magebred octopus or squid could be purchased, then slain and reanimated for undead tentacle action.

I'm betting there's a small enough tentacled critter to Symbiotic template onto a humanoid if one were so inclined.

Also, dont forget the spells. Living Spell Black Tentacles sounds just horrific. Plus oozes have pseudopods. Tentacley, tentacley, pseudopods.

PunBlake
2018-10-11, 02:46 PM
You could always refluff the appearance of Chain Demons (Kytons) from MM1 if you'd like a humanoid that can change nearby things into tentacles.
I definitely second almost all of the aberration, ooze, and and octopi/squid talk, though.

liquidformat
2018-10-11, 03:41 PM
ya go with anthro squid/octopus or giant versions there of.

Troacctid
2018-10-11, 08:10 PM
My first thought was the rhagodessa (CR 2, from Dungeon #139, page 46), but it turns out it has pedipalps, not tentacles. Easy fix though!

Zilant
2018-10-12, 06:49 PM
Dungeon Magazine #83 has an adventure called Deep Freeze. Towards the end of the adventure you meet a tentacles monster called a Faranth. CR 2, I believe.

Gryphonfg
2018-10-15, 08:33 PM
I ran a game and a player wanted to summon tentacle monsters, so we just applied the psuedonatural template to her summons.