2018-10-10, 04:06 PM
Fighter Level Feature

3rd Called Shots, Overdraw

7th Feature 3 (Reaction Disengage)

10th Feature 4 (Patience is a Virtue)

15th Feature 5 (Exploding Critical)

18th Improved Called Shots

Called Shots
Starting at 3rd level, you have learned to call your shots to get a better chance at taking down your foes.

Shots. You learn two called shots of your choice, which are detailed under "Called Shots" below. Each use of a called shot must be declared before the attack roll is made. You can only use one called shot per attack.

You learn an additional called shot at 7th, 10th, and 15th level.

At 18th level, each called shot that you score deals one additional damage die.

Call Points. You gain a number of call points equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of 1). You regain 1 expended call point each time you roll a 20 on the d20 roll for an attack with a firearm, or deal a killing blow with a ranged weapon. You regain all expended call points on a short or long rest.

Saving Throws. Some of your called shots require your targets to make a saving throw to resist the called shot's effects. The saving throw DC is calculated as follows:

Called Shot save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Dexterity modifier

Overdraw
You have learned to put a little more power behind your drawn bow.

Starting when you take this archetype at 3rd level, when you make an attack roll with a ranged weapon, you can also make a strength check to overdraw your weapon. The DC for this check is equal to 8 + your strength modifier + your proficiency bonus. A successful strength check adds 1d6 of the weapon's damage type to the damage of that weapon. If the strength check fails, you auto-miss.

You can choose to overdraw your ranged weapon after you make an attack roll, but before you know if the attack hits or misses.

Feature 3 (Reaction disengage)
You have learned to get away from close range enemies, taking their misfortune as your fortune.

Starting at 7th level, whenever a hostile creature misses you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to move up to 15 feet away without provoking opportunity attacks.

Feature 4 (Patience is a Virtue)
Patience has never been your strong suit, but damn, can it pack a punch if you want it to.

Starting at 10th level, you can hone your senses, giving you a better understanding of your surroundings. You gain proficiency in either Perception or Investigation, your choice. If you are already proficient in these skills, you can double your proficiencey in that skill.

In addition, you can make a number of pieces of ammunition equal to your proficiency modifer plus your Dexterity modifier into magical ammunition. You can do this at the end of a long rest. You must spend one minute per piece of ammunition carving arcane runes into the ammunition. The ammunition counts as magical for overcoming resistances and immunities. This enchantment fades at the start of a long rest.

Feature 5 (Exploding Critical)
Your aim is true, and your strikes are brutal.

Starting at 15th level, your ranged weapon attacks score a critical hit on a roll of 19-20.

In addition, whenever you score a critical hit with a ranged weapon, you can roll additional damage dice onto the hit for each damage die that rolled maximum damage. This effect continues until no dice roll maximum damage.

Called Shots
These called shots are listed in alphabetical order.

Bleeding shot. When you make a called bleeding shot against a creature, you can expend one call point to cause the creature to bleed. On a hit, the creature suffers normal damage, and has to succeed on a Constitution saving throw or take 3 (1d6) necrotic damage at the start of each of its turn. A creature must use its action to stop the bleeding.

Deadeye shot. When you make a called deadeye shot against a creature, you can expend one call point to gain advantage on the attack roll.

Disarming shot. When you make a called disarming shot against a creature, you can expend one call point to attempt to shoot an object from their hands. On a hit, the creature suffers normal damage and must succeed on a Strength saving throw or drop 1 held object of your choice and have that object be pushed 10 feet away from you.

Forceful shot. When you make a called forceful shot against a creature, you can expend one call point to attempt to push them away from you. The creature takes normal damage and must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be pushed 10 feet away from you.

Head shot. When you make a called head shot against a creature, you can expend one call point to attempt to dizzy them for a turn. The target takes normal damage, but must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or have disadvantage on attack rolls until the end of its next turn.

Piercing shot. When you make a called piercing shot against a creature, you can expend one call point to attempt to hit every creature behind them. On a hit, the creature suffers normal damage and you make an attack roll with disadvantage against every creature in a line directly behind the target within your first range increment.

Winging shot. When you make a called winging shot against a creature, you can expend one call point to attempt to topple a moving target. On a hit, the creature suffers normal damage and must make a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Any wording changes you'd make? Any ability changes, issues? I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance!

demonslayerelf
2018-10-10, 04:13 PM
This is just Matthew Mercer's Gunslinger, but worse, and for any ranged weapons.

Lalliman
2018-10-11, 07:55 AM
Next time, give the subclass a name so people know what it is before they start reading.

I don't have the brain capacity to really appraise the balance right now, but it seems fine. The only thing really wrong with it is Overdraw. It's a Strength check with a DC based on your Strength, so it's equally difficult no matter how strong you are. Also, because the DC increases with your proficiency and you can't be proficient in a Strength check (there's no skill attached), it can only become more difficult as you level. Lastly, even if those problems are fixed, are you sure you want to encourage a fighter to add an extra roll to each of the many attacks they will make? You might be better off treating this as some form of power attack, because it does effectively the same thing.

Oh, and the paragraph about Call Points still refers to firearms.

Also, for any future homebrewing, don't worry about people saying "It's just X but with Y." Some people seem to think that by submitting here you are claiming to have made something original. Unless originality was your intention, it doesn't matter whether something like it has been done before.

demonslayerelf
2018-10-11, 10:53 AM
Also, for any future homebrewing, don't worry about people saying "It's just X but with Y." Some people seem to think that by submitting here you are claiming to have made something original. Unless originality was your intention, it doesn't matter whether something like it has been done before.

If you're going to make something more or less identical to another thing, and not mention that other thing(Especially after copy-pasting parts of the abilities), it's just plagiarism. That needs to be called out.

Lalliman
2018-10-11, 01:41 PM
If you're going to make something more or less identical to another thing, and not mention that other thing(Especially after copy-pasting parts of the abilities), it's just plagiarism. That needs to be called out.
That is true, but crysis41 likely can't tell from your initial comment that lack of credit was the problem.

This also really only imitates the Grit rules, which Mercer got from Pathfinder to begin with.

demonslayerelf
2018-10-11, 09:07 PM
That is true, but crysis41 likely can't tell from your initial comment that lack of credit was the problem.

This also really only imitates the Grit rules, which Mercer got from Pathfinder to begin with.

True to the first point, truish to the second. He has an ability which gives an expanded crit range, then deadlier critical hits, at 15th level(Mercer's being similar at 18th level), the elephant in the room(The copy-pasted called shots with minor additions), and just the fact that we KNOW he used it as... 'Inspiration'.

And yeah, Mercer took it from Pathfinder. His was a conversion from one game/edition to another game/edition(I don't know if you would call PF an edition or separate thing entirely). This is a conversion from one game to the same game. In other words, not a conversion.

And even saying that, it's not really the problem about him not crediting Mercer, it's the fact that he was so sloppy about it. I'll make the... ROCK elemental. And it's gonna have AC 17, 126 HP, a 3040 foot movement/earth glide speed, two-slam slap attacks as it's multiattack, etc. At least if they were clever or innovative about it, there would be something to say, but half of it would just be critiquing Mercer's work, and the other half would be pointing out that Mercer did it better.

Lalliman
2018-10-12, 02:08 AM
At least if they were clever or innovative about it, there would be something to say, but half of it would just be critiquing Mercer's work, and the other half would be pointing out that Mercer did it better.
And that makes it unworthy of criticism? This is what Crysis wants to play. Evidently the gunslinger is not satisfactory to him, so he did the reasonable thing of making changes to it. If it's worse than Mercer's version, then just say what the problems are. How is he supposed to know what he did wrong if the people who know don't tell him?

demonslayerelf
2018-10-12, 08:01 AM
I never said it was unworthy of criticism, just that I didn't want to grade someone else's work. Either make it new or at least brand it as someone else's;
"Hey guys, saw the Gunslinger, thought it should just be an Archer, tell me what you think about the changes".

Not... Well, literally nothing in regards to that. I'm not gonna do critiques on something the poster didn't make or slightly modified from another source and said nothing about. There are so many things they could have done to make it different, or acknowledge the similarity to distinguish his work from Matt Mercer's work, but he didn't.

So I'm gonna put very little work into it, and I'm gonna base it on Mercer's stuff; Exactly what they did, so exactly what they should get in turn.

Lalliman
2018-10-13, 03:34 AM
I never said it was unworthy of criticism, just that I didn't want to grade someone else's work. Either make it new or at least brand it as someone else's;
"Hey guys, saw the Gunslinger, thought it should just be an Archer, tell me what you think about the changes".

Not... Well, literally nothing in regards to that. I'm not gonna do critiques on something the poster didn't make or slightly modified from another source and said nothing about. There are so many things they could have done to make it different, or acknowledge the similarity to distinguish his work from Matt Mercer's work, but he didn't.

So I'm gonna put very little work into it, and I'm gonna base it on Mercer's stuff; Exactly what they did, so exactly what they should get in turn.
Fair enough. Just say that next time, so the poster can learn from it. Crysis41 is brand new to the site, he might have no idea about homebrewing etiquette. Someone has to actually tell him, instead of judging him on rules he doesn't know.