PDA

View Full Version : Monster Test Out Game [5e IC]

Gluteus_Maximus
2018-10-10, 06:39 PM
You trod through the depths of the place where the princess was taken. The air of the cave has become more and more suffocatingly dry and warm with the passing minutes. The ground feels like cocoons or insects' wings underneath your foot, and makes a crinkling sound as you move the slightest. A few ants crawl along the walls and through many tiny crevices in the walls.

Finally, the tunnel opens up from being single or double file to a large chamber, around 120' cubic feet of air. Teams of so many ants crawl along the far walls that they're visible from your side. Fires are lit in little outcroppings in the walls, appearing to have been dug by the ants. How the flames were lit perplexes you.

Squelching and tearing noises can be heard down a deep, dark round tunnel at the far corner from the entrance. It's about 15' in diameter, and winds down.

tigerusthegreat
2018-10-10, 08:12 PM
Excellence focuses for a moment, feeling the shadows clinging to her form, adding to the protection of her armor. She steps into the room, to the side of the entrance before stopping and letting the shadows fully envelop her.

Prior to this, I would have used my Armor of Shadows invocation to cast Mage Armor on myself. (AC: 15)

Stepping into the room, and off to the side of the entrance, and using my One With The Shadows invocation to become invisible until I take an action or move. If the space I'm in doesn't count as dim light, let me know and I will append my action.

Croverus
2018-10-11, 12:45 AM
Exadia steps forward, looking about the chamber with her shield and mace in hand. The Holy Symbol of Wee Jas embedded in the front of her shield glows softly from the spells she has cast to strengthen the party against whatever monstrosity lies within these chambers. She closes her eyes briefly to reach out with her senses and see if any undead abominations are lurking nearby, possibly hiding in the shadows.

Activating Eyes of the Grave. Until the end of my next turn (so for the next 5 seconds if we are still in narrative speed) I magically know the location of any undead within 60 feet of me that isn't behind total cover and that isn't protected from divination magic.

Gluteus_Maximus
2018-10-11, 12:49 AM
You detect no undead within 60 feet.

WhismurWanders
2018-10-11, 03:01 AM
Deidre grips the haft of the heavy axe she carried with her as she saw all the ants. In a hushed voice, she asks, "Do we want to go down? Sounds like whatever we're chasing is down there, but it might be a bit tight."

Feyblade
2018-10-12, 03:59 PM
Hope winces, sighing and leaning against her glaive as if it was a staff.

"Unless there's any other way down--I don't think we have more options."

WhismurWanders
2018-10-14, 12:01 PM
"Right." Deidre twists her neck until it pops, barely audible in the corridor. She takes her axe in both hands, adopting her usual careful stance for when she was barging into yet another situation where she didn't quite have all the information she wanted. "Stay close, keep your eyes open, and let's get this over with." She was loathe to admit it, but the sight of all these ants was starting to make her skin crawl, and she was eager for a change of scenery. "Unless anyone's got a better idea."

tigerusthegreat
2018-10-14, 09:20 PM
"I could light a fire down there. Something small, if there is a creature it may react. It would give up any surprise we may have."

Croverus
2018-10-14, 10:06 PM
"We should assume that whatever lurks further in probably is aware of our presence. We aren't exactly a stealthy group. This chamber is open, would let us spread out a bit more. Drawing it to us may be best." Exadia moves closer to the tunnel, feeling her specialized sense fading a moment after she activates it. She does her best to focus on noticing any undead that she could detect before her detection ends.

Feyblade
2018-10-15, 09:41 PM
Hope looks around, trying to note any possible traps or disadvantages to luring the enemy here to this chamber.

"Not a bad idea I think."

So turns out it's the exact same modifier, soooo

[roll0]

tigerusthegreat
2018-10-15, 10:04 PM
Excellence steps forward, shadows dispersing from her as she moves closer to the winding tunnel. Mentally delving into the secrets granted to her by her patron, she summons a flame as far down the tunnel as she can see.

Using Druidcraft to light a small fire as far down the winding tunnel as I can.

WhismurWanders
2018-10-16, 04:49 AM
Deidre braces herself and focuses on the tunnel ahead, looking and listening for any sign that something was coming up the tunnel.

[roll0]

Gluteus_Maximus
2018-10-16, 08:40 AM
There is nothing coming up the tunnel as far as you know

Feyblade
2018-10-17, 04:07 PM
She frowns, clearing her throat and attempting to make some sort of sound that sounds like a panicked creature--perhaps wounded (making easy prey.

[roll]1d20+4[roll]

tigerusthegreat
2018-10-18, 05:28 PM
Tired of waiting, Excellence heads down the tunnel, 5ft at a time. Pausing and looking around for anything.

Croverus
2018-10-18, 10:53 PM
Exadia follows, ready to blast the first thing that pops out to attack the group.

Follow Excellenve, 5ft behind, using the Ready Action to cast Guiding bolt the moment something makes an aggressive move towards the party

WhismurWanders
2018-10-19, 08:30 AM
Deidre keeps abreast of Excellence, axe at the ready for whatever may be waiting for them.

Feyblade
2018-10-19, 11:31 PM
Hope follows from behind--glaive at the ready should anything strike.

"Do we have a plan?" Quietly. "Or is it just 'hit enemies until they fall' ?"

WhismurWanders
2018-10-20, 06:47 AM
"Do we have a plan?" Quietly. "Or is it just 'hit enemies until they fall' ?"

Deidre chuckles. "Well, it works most of the time, don't it?"

Croverus
2018-10-21, 10:27 PM
"And if it doesn't, Excellence can always try talking this one to death." Exadia hides as much snark as she can but can't help but smile as she speaks.

Feyblade
2018-10-21, 10:33 PM
"To be fair, there's nothing wrong with talking. diplomacy is good."

Hope keeps an eye and an ear out for anything that may be around (that isn't them of course.)

[roll0]

Gluteus_Maximus
2018-10-28, 09:24 PM
As you head down the tunnel, you hear a loud droning buzz as a creature just as wide as the tunnel flies past, knocking you all to the floor. Where it once was, a chamber with a demonic summoning circle and the corpses of some cultist and the princess, as well as a curved dagger and a book splattered with blood open on a small lectern. Behind, in the larger chamber from before, the creature is much more visible.

Pitch black in color, it resembles a wasp if it were a thousand times larger. Barbs line its legs, and it sports a foot-long stinger on its thorax. It hovers as if by nothing at all, as its wings flap dozens of times per second to the point of near invisibility, and then lands on the roof of the cave. Ants are crawling down the tunnel in swarms of hundreds.

Initiative Rolls:
Excellence: [roll0]
Deirdre: [roll1]
Hope: [roll2]
Exadia: [roll3]
Enemies, as a whole: [roll4]

Gluteus_Maximus
2018-10-28, 09:29 PM
Having a higher dexterity, the creature moves first, one of its six legs after another as it crawls along the wall 30 feet down before taking off and gliding, landing on the floor, blocking the path out of the tunnel. Its compound eyes glisten as they focus on the task at hand. The swarms of ants move up to attack:

[roll0] hit: [roll1] piercing, plus [roll2] if crit against Excellence Hit for 7 damage
[roll3] hit: [roll4] piercing, plus [roll5] if crit against Exadia
[roll6] hit: [roll7] piercing, plus [roll8] if crit against Exadia
[roll9] hit: [roll10] piercing, plus [roll11] if crit against Deirdre

WhismurWanders
2018-10-29, 02:57 AM
Deirdre feels the small pinches of ants trying their best to eat their way through chainmail and failing, and swings her axe in retaliation, shouting the arcane words that would set the blade alight with arcane fire, and cause herself to pulse with infernal heat.

Casting Green-Flame Blade: [roll0] for [roll1] slashing damage, [roll2] fire damage to the same target, and [roll3] fire damage to a nearby enemy.
War Magic bonus attack to whatever targets are still standing/nearby if my first target hasn't fallen, otherwise target same: [roll4] for [roll5]
Green-Flame Blade triggers Flames of Phlegethos; until the end of my next turn, any creature within 5' that hits me with a melee attack takes 1d4 fire damage.

tigerusthegreat
2018-10-29, 07:52 AM
Excellence, somewhat trapped by her allies, focuses on the wasp. She hurls dark spears of energy at it, powered by her fury.

Action: eldritch blast on wasp
[roll0] [roll0]
[roll2] [roll1]

Croverus
2018-10-30, 05:53 AM
Exadia shifts a bit to get as many of the ant swarms within 5ft of her and holds up her shield, taking in a deep breath. She then utters a simple word of power, which rings out to burn away the ant swarms around her.

"RADIANCE."

Exadia uses some of her movement to get as many ant swarms within 5ft of her as she can.
She then casts Word of Radiance. Each ant swarm withing 5ft of Exadia must make a Constituition saving throw, DC 14. On a failure they take [roll0] radiant damage. If they make the save they take no damage.

Feyblade
2018-10-31, 01:42 AM
Hope takes a breath, grasping her holy symbol and unleashing a mighty warcry--before raising it and conjuring a blade of light between Excellence and the Wasp. The blade lashes out at the Wasp to strike.

First things first, Hope spends her action to use Channel Divinity: Conquering Presence. You can use your Channel Divinity to exude a terrifying presence. As an action, you force each creature of your choice that you can see within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, a creature becomes frightened of you for 1 minute. The frightened creature can repeat this saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. The DC is 15 right now, and I'd like it to affect all enemies if possible.

Second, she casts Spiritual Weapon at G4 to attack the Wasp!!

[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Gluteus_Maximus
2018-10-31, 10:57 PM
The wasp like creature notices the frightening aura of the cleric and flies out of range, and instead elects to invoke some sort of magic as a thousand or more insects fly from its mouth and surround the party, poking in like hundreds of little needles.

Insect Plague DC 18 Con save to halve [roll0] piercing damage, and the plague lingers as a 20' radius sphere.
Excellence: [roll1] Fail
Exadia: [roll2]
Deirdre: [roll3] Fail
Hope: [roll4] Fail

The swarms continue to poke at the party.
[roll5] [roll6] crit: [roll7] against Deirdre Hit
[roll8] [roll9] crit: [roll10] against Exadia Miss
[roll11] [roll12] crit: [roll13] against Exadia Miss
[roll14] [roll15] crit: [roll16] against Excellence Crit

WhismurWanders
2018-11-01, 04:10 AM
Deirdre grits her teeth through the pain and swings again at the swarm that was clinging to her. "Whatever you do," she shouts over the incessant buzzing of insects, "KEEP YER MOUTHS *PTOO* SHUT!". Several insects flying into her mouth force her to spit them back out and grimace at the texture and taste before she can even finish the warning. Her axe, in the meantime, continues to flare with magical flames which char the insects it comes too close to.

Casting Green-Flame Blade: [roll0] for [roll1] slashing and [roll2] fire damage to the swarm attacking Deidre, and [roll3] fire damage to an adjacent swarm.
If the swarm is still up, then War Magic bonus action against the same one (unless it dies, I'll target the one on Excellence in that case): [roll4] for [roll5]

Gluteus_Maximus
2018-11-05, 02:02 AM
As Excellence activates her Hellish Rebuke, she notices the wasp-like creature is unscathed from it. Immune to fire.

tigerusthegreat
2018-11-05, 10:34 AM
Seeing the fire not have any effect whatsoever, Excellence attempts the next best thing. She focuses on the magical insect swarm, and attempts to disrupt the magic. She then books it for the corner without swarms (B1, skirting around the swarm on the wall. Not sure if this provokes from the swarm in my square, I believe it does).

Dispel Magic at 4th level (automatically destroys any effects 4th level or lower, if higher: [roll0] note: spell says caster ability, so I'm guessing I don't add proficiency to it, but I don't recall off the top of my head if that's right. vs DC: 10 + spell level.

Gluteus_Maximus
2018-11-05, 10:44 AM
Excellence's dispel fails, making it appear as if the spell was 5th level or higher.

Croverus
2018-11-05, 11:36 PM
Exadia sneers at the swarms of insects around her, taking in a breath and letting out another word to burn away some of the insects.

"RADIANCE."

Her shield flares with divine light as the word leaves her lips, seering all nearby swarms. She then looks over at the massive wasp creature and thrusts her shield in its direction, her holy symbol to Wee Jas glowing as divine energy coalesces into a large ruby blade next to the wasp and slashes at the creature.

Action - Cast Word of Radiance again. DC 14 Will save for the 4 adjacent swarms or they take [roll0] Radiant Damage
Bonus Action - Cast Spiritual Weapon beside the Wasp (range is 60ft), the weapon swings at the wasp [roll1] doing [roll2] Force damage on a hit.

Feyblade
2018-11-08, 12:10 AM
Hope covers her mouth, trying to move past Deidre and through the cloud of insects (and escape it) while her Spiritual Weapon moves closer to the Giant Wasp (as it moved previously out of reach of it).

I would like to disengage/move to E6 in the hopes of getting out of the plague!

Gluteus_Maximus
2018-11-14, 01:33 AM
[roll0]

To halve [roll1] piercing damage:
Exadia: [roll2]
Excellence: [roll3]
Deirdre: [roll4]

The wasp moves in to attack Hope as she leaves the plague.
A bite: [roll5] hit: [roll6] crit: [roll7] piercing damage; becomes grappled. MISS
Claw 1: [roll8] hit: [roll9] crit: [roll10] slashing damage; must make INT save ([roll11]) to halve [roll12] psychic damage Hit and Fail; 28 damage
Claw 1: [roll13] hit: [roll14] crit: [roll15] slashing damage; must make INT save ([roll16]) to halve [roll17] psychic damage MISS

The swarms dissipate after Exadia's radiant word.

Information gained:
Force damage seems to be effective
Fire damage is ineffective

WhismurWanders
2018-11-14, 08:36 AM
Deidre steps forward, shouting, "CHARGE!" when the insect swarms have lifted or been killed. As she steps, her right hand stretches out, emanating a deep cold that attempts to hinder the giant wasp-thing's movements. When she arrives, both hands lift her axe up high before bringing it down in hopes of scattering the swarm that was next to Hope.

Move to G6
Casting Frostbite on the giant wasp; on a failed DC 13 Con save, it has disadvantage on its next weapon attack and takes [roll0] cold damage.
Bonus Action War Magic; [roll1] for [roll2] slashing damage on the swarm adjacent to Hope (F7)

tigerusthegreat
2018-11-15, 04:43 PM
Excellence focuses internally and feels her flesh shift. Her form expands outward and becomes a giant lizard.

Casting Polymorph and taking the form of a T-Rex (CR 8)

Croverus
2018-11-16, 05:29 AM
Exadia focuses on her spiritual weapon, having it stick close to the massive creature and slash at it, hoping to take advantage of its apparent weakness. Holding up her shield she lets loose a powerful burst of radiant light, hoping to injure the monster and mark it to make the next blow that lands on it deal more damage.

Bonus - Move Spiritual Weapon to stay near the Wasp and attack [roll0] for [roll1] Force damage
Action - Cast Guiding Bolt [roll2] to hit for [roll3] Radiant damage, and the next attack against it has advantage

Feyblade
2018-11-18, 02:27 AM
Not at all liking the hit she took, Hope murmurs a prayer under her breath as some of her wounds start to close--meanwhile bringing her spiritual weapon to the Wasp to attack it!

Lay on Hands for 30HP Regained, and then BA Spiritual Weapon~~ [roll0] Damage [roll1]

Gluteus_Maximus
2018-11-18, 02:54 AM
The wasp takes the frostbite full-force, and seems to have resistance to it as it doesn't even stumble.

Two hits from the spiritual weapons.

On the wasp's turn, you suddenly smell something- well, not really something. It tingles your nose as gas enters- and forces a wisdom save.

Deirdre: [roll0]
Excellence [roll1]
Edadia [roll2]
Hope: [roll3]

As this happens, the ant swarms stop attacking and begin fighting amongst themselves- antennae are ripped off, legs, other body parts.

Gluteus_Maximus
2018-11-18, 03:02 AM
On Deirdre and Excellence's turns, they are surprised to see that their arms and legs are moving on their own as they attack their allies.

T-Rex Bite on Exadia: [roll0] hit: [roll1] crit: [roll2]
Greataxe attack on Exadia: [roll3] hit: [roll4] crit: [roll5]
Greataxe extra attack on Exadia: [roll6] hit: [roll7] crit: [roll8]

As Deirdre moves to go attack Exadia the wasp does an AoO with its claw:

[roll9] hit: [roll10] slashing, crit: [roll11]. also an INT save ([roll12]) to halve [roll13] psychic damage