View Full Version : Tech Help Computer hates Mouse.

The Jack
2018-10-10, 06:43 PM
Sometimes, my computer decides that the mouse shouldn't work.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Restarting the computer is a temporary fix, but obviously an undesirable one.

a Different mouse has the same problem.
Using a different USB port does not fix the problem.

Help?

Algeh
2018-10-10, 09:08 PM
What kind of computer? What OS? Anything else also plugged in using USB or connecting wirelessly?

kgato503
2018-10-10, 10:32 PM
Also, are all your drivers (not just for the mouse) up to date? Do you have the latest updates for your OS?

OracleofWuffing
2018-10-11, 04:15 AM
Due to the intermittent nature of the issue, this may sound like a silly question. Assuming you're on Windows, when the mouse stops working, is it visible in the Device Manager?

(No, I don't know how to access the Device Manager via keyboard off the top of my head, but will defer to someone else to guide you through that part.)

Cazero
2018-10-11, 05:59 AM
(No, I don't know how to access the Device Manager via keyboard off the top of my head, but will defer to someone else to guide you through that part.)
I'd suggest opening the device manager on startup and keep it open in the background until the mouse stops working.

Khedrac
2018-10-11, 07:15 AM

For WIndows 10:
Press the windows key
Type: device manager
Use the up and down arrow keys to ensure that "Device Manager Control Panel" is highlighted and press Enter.
In Device Manager use Tab to get the focus in the devie tree display.
Use up and down arrow keys to navigate, and let and right arrow keys to open and collapse branches, Enter to select.

The Jack
2018-10-11, 07:17 AM
A laptop (with the worst touchpad, who thought it would be a good idea to integrate the pad with it's buttons?)
We're on win 10. I believe it updated this morning.

When the mouse doesn't work, the light for the laser is still on.

Rockphed
2018-10-13, 03:58 PM
A laptop (with the worst touchpad, who thought it would be a good idea to integrate the pad with it's buttons?)
We're on win 10. I believe it updated this morning.

When the mouse doesn't work, the light for the laser is still on.

I have the same problem on windows 7. Try booting your computer up in safe mode. If the issue goes away, it might be software interfering with your mouse. My research on the problem says it might be antivirus. I am looking for a different antivirus to test this theory.

Hunter Noventa
2018-10-24, 08:59 AM
Is your mouse advanced enough to have its own drivers/software? If so you may need to update that manually from the manufacturer's website.

loasmkers
2018-10-29, 08:21 PM
If these mice work on other computers, it's clearly that smoething is wrong with your computer or USB port.