PDA

View Full Version : Vbrpg

alchemyprime
2007-09-17, 01:43 PM
I am currently designing/programming a simple RPG in Visual Basic.

YEs, I realise the lag it will have.

What I want to know is if anyone has any suggestions for this simple fantasy game? Any thoughts on monsters?

The entire thing will run off of a system simlar to a combination of d20, GURPS and The Anime d20 System. Namely, anyone can do anything with enough points. All a class is for is for bonus points in a certain area.

Monsters will be made with a similar system: namely, the monster type system found from d20, but with bonus Talent Points instead of feats.

Any ideas from anyone? Perhaps what monsters I should make?

Oh, and I let yall know when I'm done.

SofS
2007-09-17, 09:40 PM
Monsters should ideally share some themes. A rough idea of the sorts of monsters you like, followed by a rough idea of why they all exist and why they're all in the game, should do quite nicely. Are they creatures of magic? Are they the products of divine influence? How do they relate to each other and to the PC races? Are you using alignments? If so, where does a given creature fall on the spectrum?

Another consideration is whether or not you want your game to be dense with monsters. Are there a lot of them? Are there a lot of types, or are there a lot of creatures belonging to a few types?

Also, consider how well you can represent them. Can you make a given monster appreciably cool within your game? Will they look/act right?

What kind of fantasy are you doing? Low fantasy calls for things to be not too distant from the natural world, generally speaking, while other levels can go anywhere in the imagination. Is it dark and horror-themed? That might suggest undead, evil spirits, and demons. Is it bright and clad in shiny mail? That sort of thing needs small armies of repulsive creatures.

In my opinion, one of the most satisfying aspects of computer RPGs is little secrets and hidden nuances within the game. It's always exciting to figure out an enemy's weakness or a character's new capability. Maybe vampires, if you have them, can be autokilled with critical hits when wielding wooden stakes. Maybe carrying certain objects in the inventory can give unexplained bonuses and such. This sort of thing can really make an otherwise solid game into a memorable experience.

alchemyprime
2007-09-17, 09:58 PM
Monsters should ideally share some themes. A rough idea of the sorts of monsters you like, followed by a rough idea of why they all exist and why they're all in the game, should do quite nicely. Are they creatures of magic? Are they the products of divine influence? How do they relate to each other and to the PC races? Are you using alignments? If so, where does a given creature fall on the spectrum?

Another consideration is whether or not you want your game to be dense with monsters. Are there a lot of them? Are there a lot of types, or are there a lot of creatures belonging to a few types?

Also, consider how well you can represent them. Can you make a given monster appreciably cool within your game? Will they look/act right?

What kind of fantasy are you doing? Low fantasy calls for things to be not too distant from the natural world, generally speaking, while other levels can go anywhere in the imagination. Is it dark and horror-themed? That might suggest undead, evil spirits, and demons. Is it bright and clad in shiny mail? That sort of thing needs small armies of repulsive creatures.

In my opinion, one of the most satisfying aspects of computer RPGs is little secrets and hidden nuances within the game. It's always exciting to figure out an enemy's weakness or a character's new capability. Maybe vampires, if you have them, can be autokilled with critical hits when wielding wooden stakes. Maybe carrying certain objects in the inventory can give unexplained bonuses and such. This sort of thing can really make an otherwise solid game into a memorable experience.

Good imput. It will be high magic, and will be a world controlled like 1920's Chicago, and yet with also very devout religious members. Your alligence is more important than allignment. The savage beasts will be called "Wild" and teh civilized ones will have alligneces. More details later.

alchemyprime
2007-09-19, 12:19 PM
Okay.
Monsters and Types

Plants: Plant creatures, most notoriously the fungi of the sewers and the cacti creatures of the deserts ruled by the Blacksand family.

Nightmares: Lovecraftian typre creatures. The aberratoin type from D&D.

Humanoids: Most races.

Beastly Humanoids: Monstrous Humanoids. Traditional goblins and orcs and such. Bogeymen. Hags. The like.

Insects: Bugs. Wasps. Swarms.

Elementals: Simple enough.

Dragons: Not the big old types most of the time. These are more of bastard races made from excessive draconic interbreeding and inbreeding.

Walkers: Outsiders, in essense. Our planes will be
Dreams (Phantasms)
Insanity (Horrors)
Honor (Angels)
Valor (Devas)
Mirrors (Mirracks)
Shadows (Shades)
Torture (Demons)
Punishment (Devils)
Law (Commanded, Commanders, Enforcers)
Chaos (Anarchiac)
Money (Merchax)
Magic (Quixotic)
Evolution (Altered)

Also, there will be Animals, Magical Beasts and constructs.

Animals will include Dinosaurs.

So, essentially, this will be an RPG that (I hope) can feel somewhat pulp noir-y, like Eberron. Except 8-bit...

Any idea for creatures fitting into each category? Yes no?