PDA

View Full Version : Tempest cleric sentinel/warcaster?

Whit
2018-10-10, 08:04 PM
1. Tempest Cleric
2. Melee oriented
3. How to utilize destructive path
4. I’m trying to figure out how to use sentinel and warcaster effectively with destructive wrath if it’s possible.
Anyone have suggestions.

sophontteks
2018-10-10, 08:36 PM
-You can't combine those. You can't take a bonus action out of turn.
-Even if you could you wouldn't want to. The ability works best with big aoe spells and sentinel is single target only
-As a tempest you are tanky, but your damage is still going to be coming from your spells. You are a cleric, not a fighter.

Paxx
2020-06-19, 12:47 PM
Yes you can "combine" the two just not the way this guy wants you to. You can use your Tempest cleric to cast spells at the same time you can use your Sentinel ability to protect whoever you need to protect or who you're fighting alongside, they don't combine but they can be used simultaneously. However the warcaster has the ability to cast spells instead of attack on a attack of opportunity so you might want to instead of using your reaction for lightning you can use it to cast a different spell. It also gives you saving throws on your Constitution so you can cast on the front line.

CTurbo
2020-06-19, 07:35 PM
If you have Warcaster, Sentinel, and you can get access to Booming Blade either from Magic Initiate, via multiclassing, or from being a High Elf, you can cast Booming Blade with your reaction, and you COULD use Destructive Wrath with it, but I wouldn't want to. I don't like using it for single target damage.

I've played a few melee Tempest Clerics, and they're a lot of fun. A few years ago I very erroneously played a Tempest with the above mentioned setup and I was getting my Divine Strike on the reaction attack too so my Sentinel attacks were hitting REALLY hard. We found out later that Divine Strike was "once on YOUR turn" and not "once PER turn" like Sneak Attack damage.