PDA

View Full Version : Roy: punching bag or hero?

Sky_Schemer
2007-09-17, 01:48 PM
Call me a curmudgeon if you want, but the continued Roy-bashing in the strip is getting a little old. I'm glad Rich is back to working on the comic, but this particular installment just made me feel bad. Which, I suppose, is the point, but I'm tired of seeing him be continually kicked while he's down, especially since he's one of the few characters in the strip that is actually working to do the right thing. :smallannoyed:

Which, I suppose, is also the point...

RMS Oceanic
2007-09-17, 01:55 PM
Well, think about who's doing it. Eugene has always believed that Magic is the only way one can defeat Xykon. In his eyes, the events of this day have pretty much proved him right. That, combined with Roy's last meeting with him (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0293.html), means he's jumping on the opportunity to rub it in Roy's face. This said, I hope Rich doesn't continue it much further, as it does get stale if overdone. Hopefully, Eugene will get it out of his system by next strip, and the conversation can turn to something more constructive.

Dunamin
2007-09-17, 01:56 PM
I feel you.

Roy suffers plenty of abuse both in the strip and in the forums, but the depiction of his father bashing him even post-mortem is perfectly in character.

2007-09-17, 02:02 PM
Roy getting bashed is part of his character.

He's always been the only guy who keeps everything together, ergo, all the lackies (OOTS) complain about him/to him.

Like the line from Saving Private Ryan

Soldier: What about you Leutenant, why don't you complain?
Lt.: I complain, but complaints go up the chain of command, you don't get to hear my complaints.

Arturius
2007-09-17, 02:53 PM
I'm surprised Roy didn't rip into the old man. Yeah, he died, but so did Eugene! Several times! And how close did pops ever get to killing Xykon? Not pointe blank with a sword in his face, that's for damn sure.

SomeLich
2007-09-17, 03:45 PM
Well, as I have been playing quite a selection of RPGs for more than 13 years, I have come across players who liked to play an archetype that reminds me of Roy. Roy characters may tend to act stiff as a poker and quite stubborn if they get something into their heads, but they are also the kind of character who keep the story moving. They are the ones who push the story while other members of the group get trapped in subplots. I'm not saying that the conversation between the Greenhilt's isn't quite funny but I'm in favour of a sudden run of luck for poor Roy.

Michael

Btw.: OOTS IS BACK! Great!

Elandegenerate
2007-09-17, 04:07 PM
actually i feel roy has done pretty well. no matter all this zings eugene gives him, he still feels confident in himself and his party. He continues to look at things logically and with responsibility. He endures, isnt that what a good fighter does?

but still. "Featherfall..." zing <_<

nice one Mr. Greenhilt

explanetpluto
2007-09-17, 08:44 PM
Roy-Bashing enhances the fighter cliche, it makes him even more of a meat shield!!

Green Bean
2007-09-17, 08:47 PM
I'm surprised Roy didn't rip into the old man. Yeah, he died, but so did Eugene! Several times! And how close did pops ever get to killing Xykon? Not pointe blank with a sword in his face, that's for damn sure.

Uh, did you not read Roy's dialogue? While Eugene did get in the biggest burns, Roy held his own. Like father, like son, eh? :smallbiggrin:

Roderick_BR
2007-09-17, 10:39 PM
That's actually a classical gag for hero types. Roy is one of the main characters, is the leader, and worst of all, he is serious. That's enough for life to kick him all the time.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-17, 11:21 PM
Why not both? See: almost every comedy ever. The hero is almost always the Straight Man or the Fish Out of Water (the former in this case), which means bad things happen to him.

Oberon
2007-09-18, 01:24 AM
Call me a curmudgeon if you want, but the continued Roy-bashing in the strip is getting a little old. I'm glad Rich is back to working on the comic, but this particular installment just made me feel bad. Which, I suppose, is the point, but I'm tired of seeing him be continually kicked while he's down, especially since he's one of the few characters in the strip that is actually working to do the right thing. :smallannoyed:

Which, I suppose, is also the point...

Roy has the ability to keep his dignity and stick to his purpose no matter how many times fate seems to target him personally for some serious beatings (both physical and emotinal) and salting of his wounds (hence his sympathy with O'chul, back in the days when they were both alive and mobile.)

This still doesn't excuse the fact that Eugene Greenhilt is an ungrateful arrogant jerk, but thats the way he and Roy play off of each other.

In conclusion, I agree with most of what you said, but since you invited this upon yourself I have to take the opportunity:

YOU CURMUDGEON!

hehe, sorry bout that. Don't take it personally.

malcolm
2007-09-18, 01:26 AM
Roy needs to re-roll a different class. Maybe Roy's player can grab Julia's character sheet and make that his new PC.

Dunamin
2007-09-18, 01:36 AM
Maybe Roy's player can grab Julia's character sheet and make that his new PC.
Unlike in a real D&D game, there's no players behind the characters.

Besides, we can't say goodbye to the Trouser Titan just yet, not when there are jokes to be made about it's recent piercing.

Ladorak
2007-09-18, 09:15 AM
If you look under the job description of Fighter I'm pretty sure is mentions both 'punching bag' (Or was it meatshield) and 'hero'

DMcCoy1693
2007-09-18, 09:39 AM
If you look under the job description of Fighter I'm pretty sure is mentions both 'punching bag' (Or was it meatshield) and 'hero'

I thought punching bag was a class feature.

2007-09-18, 04:32 PM
What was that line Roy said about his sword?

"Of course, because nothing can be just randomly beneficial."

While it wasn't true at the time, I think it shows that Roy expects to get dumped on all the time and has moved beying caring.

Vhaidara
2007-09-18, 04:43 PM
Both. Are you still figuring this out?

Mystyco
2007-09-18, 04:43 PM
meatbag, punchinball, call whatever you like

his job is to suffer and get almost all the damage in a fight

also, he got 2 arrows sticked in his butt...

de-trick
2007-09-18, 05:36 PM
where is roy im going to kick him

but punching bag is the fighter way