PDA

View Full Version : Ya know those bits at the end of the last track on albums?

Jibar
2007-09-17, 02:38 PM
What the hell is up with that?
I mean some are just the band messing around, like Malibu Nights on the Tenacious D album, and that makes sense. A song that doesn't deserve a full track.
But, I just spent like six minutes listening to one of the guys of Ash throwing up.
What
The
Fudge!?

Arang
2007-09-17, 03:06 PM
Off the top of my head, have you tried listening to other bands?

Sewer_Bandito
2007-09-17, 03:30 PM
I think it varys from band to band. Third Eye Blind likes to stick full songs after 4 minutes of the last song as a hidden track, or have a killer intrumental at the end.

Mysticaloctopus
2007-09-17, 04:24 PM
Easter Eggs on tenacious D?
A friend played me the "Cork Pushup" track, that was weird enough. Easter eggs? Those must be frell'd

Om
2007-09-17, 04:54 PM
I do remember that Ash track. Funny stuff

Semidi
2007-09-17, 05:17 PM
My favorite is the last track of Marilyn Manson's Portrait of an American Family album called misery machine. A phone rings for 8 minutes, then it plays a recorded message of a concerned mother, generic Manson fair. Though I do love the album.

2007-09-17, 07:44 PM
Easter Eggs on tenacious D?
A friend played me the "Cork Pushup" track, that was weird enough. Easter eggs? Those must be frell'd

Rage: Yeah, but you didn't ****ing come up with this one. *Starts to play the first bars of Shine by Collective Soul*
JB: I've got some lyrics:

Malibu nights!/
Tangerine dreams/
Malibu needs/
Malibu things/
MAAAALIBU....takin' a poo/
Stiiinky poo.....lookin' at you/
Because it's time for my breakfast/
It's time for some cheese/
It's time for the stink/
Time for the breeze/
Time for the Hhoooaaaeeeeee-eeee

End.

Brickwall
2007-09-17, 08:01 PM
Some of them are kinda funny.

Weird Al's album "Off The Deep End" ends with a song titled "You Don't Love Me Anymore", which is about 4 minutes long. It trails off into silence. However, on a regular CD player, you don't notice that the real track is about 11 minutes long. After it's almost done, if you didn't know to stop it, it will explode into very loud screaming. It scares you. And it's hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2007-09-17, 09:17 PM
Placebo has a song tucked riiiiiight on the end of... Sleeping with Ghosts, I think? Not exactly weird, though...

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-17, 09:31 PM
Hey, it all goes back to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. (At least! Was there anything like that before? Nothing that I know of.)

Thes Hunter
2007-09-17, 09:42 PM
I mean some are just the band messing around, like Malibu Nights on the Tenacious D album, and that makes sense. A song that doesn't deserve a full track.
But, I just spent like six minutes listening to one of the guys of Ash throwing up.
What
The
Fudge!?

1. Awesome that you listen to Ash.

2. Ick.

Catch
2007-09-17, 10:09 PM
At the end of "Falling in Love" on So Long and Thanks for All the Shoes by NOFX, there's a clip of one of their songs being played on Howard Stern's show.

"What is this... NOFX? More like 'No Talent!'"

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2007-09-18, 01:09 AM
Hey, it all goes back to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. (At least! Was there anything like that before? Nothing that I know of.)

Inner groove, baby.

And of course, Her Majesty on Abbey Road. And that They Might Be Giants song where you have to skip backward from the start of the first song to hear it.

But my favorite bonus track is on the CD version of Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever. In the middle of the CD, between track five and six, Tom Petty comes on and says this is the start of side two, so to be fair to the people who are listening to a record or tape and have to stand up (or sit down) and turn over the record or tape, we'll just take a few minutes before starting side two...Thank you, here's side two. Awesome.

Thes Hunter
2007-09-18, 03:47 AM
But my favorite bonus track is on the CD version of Tom Petty's Full Moon Fever. In the middle of the CD, between track five and six, Tom Petty comes on and says this is the start of side two, so to be fair to the people who are listening to a record or tape and have to stand up (or sit down) and turn over the record or tape, we'll just take a few minutes before starting side two...Thank you, here's side two. Awesome.

Yeah, I get a giggle out of that one too.

Om
2007-09-18, 06:57 AM
Placebo has a song tucked riiiiiight on the end of... Sleeping with Ghosts, I think? Not exactly weird, though...They have one at the end of Burger Queen from Without You I'm Nothing

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-18, 07:13 AM
Hah! Sounds like something that shoulda been standard. :smallbiggrin:

Raiser Blade
2007-09-18, 07:31 AM
Reliant K has one at the very end of their 2nd CD. It's basically the group doing a rap-thing.

Ladieeeees and gentlemen the worst freestyle rapper ever!

Umm.. uh.. um gimme a second....
alright here we go

Apples are green and carrots are orange and then they go and then you go... wait..nothing,,what rhymes with orange? Aw geez i really am bad.

Winterwind
2007-09-18, 08:30 AM
In Flames has one album (Clay Man) ending with a song (World of Promises) which just does not exist.
The song is on the CD, but it does not appear anywhere in the booklet or in the songlist on the cover, it is not listed in the discography on the official page and there are no lyrics given for it.
It's a conspiracy, I say! A conspiracy! :smalleek:

Jacklu
2007-09-18, 10:52 PM
Five Iron Frenzy (my favorite band ever) Loves to stick entire songs in the blank space at the end of their cds. They love it so much that they did it in reverse. On one of their albums there is a hidden track zero which requires you to rewind the cd from the beginning of the first song for about a second to hear the entire band yell:WHAT'S UP! And on their last album before they broke up they have an entire farewell speech hidden in the empty space.

FdL
2007-09-18, 10:54 PM
What
The
Fudge!?

Ash rock, tomorrow I'll kickstart the morning listening to them. Thanks for reminding me of them!

Also, I think it's cool to have hidden tracks. Some can be even weirder. In Versus' "2 cent plus tax" album the hidden track has to be accessed going backwards from the first track. It's really difficult to do.

RTGoodman
2007-09-18, 11:09 PM
I know one of the Dave Matthews Band CDs I had a long time ago (read: about 8 or 10 years ago) had something of the sort - if you left the CD playing after the end of the last song, it sort of played one of those "nature sound" things with the sound of a thunderstorm.

Oh, and I just remembered - at the end of System of a Down's Toxicity album, there's a 'hidden' several-minute tribal-drum sounding song. If I remember correctly, while they're on hiatus, one of the members is actually putting together a side project with the guy that did the drum stuff for that bonus track.

Thes Hunter
2007-09-18, 11:40 PM
There is a hidden last track (Hidden Sun) on Bare Naked Ladies Maroon. It's a decent song, but it annoyed me, because I really liked the other song before it, Tonight is the Night I Fell Asleep at the Wheel. Don't know what it was about the song but it captured the beautiful ennui that I would feel sometimes.

However, Hidden Sun did not have the same emotional resonance. So it was really hard for me to put the song on repeat.

ZombieRockStar
2007-09-19, 12:00 AM
There's also the last track of The Polyphonic Spree's first album. 30 minutes of buzzing. Harmonized buzzing, but still buzzing. I like jamming on my acoustic with it in the background.

smellie_hippie
2007-09-19, 07:27 AM
Best one is on Pink Floyd the Wall.
Just before "In the Flesh" you hear a faint ....we came in...
And at the very end of the second disc ...hey isn't this where...

The perpetual cycle is completed.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-09-19, 08:35 AM
However, Hidden Sun did not have the same emotional resonance. So it was really hard for me to put the song on repeat.
So it's attached to the final listed track rather than being on it's own track? Bummer.

Well, if you have it imported into iTunes or something similar, you could take the mp3 file generated by it into any really basic sound editing software (sure you can get some freeware or shareware with a bit o' Google-fu if you need to), and cut "Hidden Sun" off the end. Then you can listen to one song without the other on your computer (and iPod/mp3 Player if you have one) without the other.

Hoggy
2007-09-19, 08:43 AM
Oh, and I just remembered - at the end of System of a Down's Toxicity album, there's a 'hidden' several-minute tribal-drum sounding song. If I remember correctly, while they're on hiatus, one of the members is actually putting together a side project with the guy that did the drum stuff for that bonus track.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the tribal thingy is a version of an Armenian mourning song or something. I'll try find where I read it again, but it'll be a long search.

Starting at wikipedia.

Skippy
2007-09-19, 08:50 AM
It happens in Spanish, too. There is a group called "La Oreja de Van Gogh" (Van Gogh's Ear), who also had something like that, at the end of the album "El Viaje de Copperpot" (Copperpot's Travel) there are at least eight minutes of hearing the wind howling, then a little silly melody. Nice one, but it is a pain to wait for it to begin. Besides it is funny, because the wind howling is almost silent, so you really don't realize it is happening until suddenly the song begins.

2007-09-19, 01:33 PM
Whats that one track on the Tenacious D album. Its just before the song about how Rage can rock classically (the one that starts "One two three four five SIX SIX SIX). Its just like two seconds of someone saying a quick sentence, but it sounds backwards. Anyone know what they're saying?

The Vanishing Hitchhiker
2007-09-19, 01:50 PM
So it's attached to the final listed track rather than being on it's own track? Bummer.

Well, if you have it imported into iTunes or something similar, you could take the mp3 file generated by it into any really basic sound editing software (sure you can get some freeware or shareware with a bit o' Google-fu if you need to), and cut "Hidden Sun" off the end. Then you can listen to one song without the other on your computer (and iPod/mp3 Player if you have one) without the other.

Oh yeah. I've used Audacity to get "I Really Love Her" off the end of a Ringo Starr album (another lasttracksilencesong). You have to download an extra bit of the program for it to save stuff as MP3s, but it's pretty easy.

...I also use it to listen to backwards stuff in songs. Turns out the backwards talking in Loser is only the chorus sung backwards. Darn.

Susil
2007-09-20, 04:29 PM
You wonder why bands do it... The only example I can think of that might make sense is at the end of 'The man who' by Travis - the song at the end has some swearing in, perhaps they thought they could avoid any censors by hiding it, who knows?

Oh, and the Flaming Lips have a pretty nuts one on the 'hit to death in the future head' album - it basically is one track with two crunchy noises from a guitar playing on a loop. On the CD version it goes for about 28 minutes. It's funny for about three of them.

tahu88810
2007-09-20, 04:48 PM
Yeah, MCR has a ballad type thing about donating blood. XD Its funny, actually.