PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 3.5 race builder

Malapterus
2018-10-11, 06:16 PM
Okay, so what I’m trying to do here is come up with a sort of ‘point buy’ for designing a race. This will help me bring all races to the same level, and help with designing new races. The Pathfinder point buy system is pretty good, but, it shows a big discrepancy among the base races.

Please assign the following items a ‘point’ value based on how helpful you think they are, or a negative value if they are supposed to be a penalty. If you think there is no way, no how, a certain item could or should be used, feel free to say so.

FAQ:
1) I don't think this item should be in the section its in.
--That's not a question, but you are probably right, but that's not what this is about.
2) Warforged can wear armor with a Feat.
--That's not a question.
3) What if I don't know what something is worth?
--Feel free to put a range, or skip it
4) Can I suggest more racial traits?
--Yes, please!
5) What is 'SR'?
--Spell Resistance.
6) Malapterus, do you love me?
--Yes. Each and every one of you. <3
7) Some of these things seem to be too variable for a set value.
--That's not a question, either! Do your best on those ones. No one is grading this.
8) Can I be in your game?
--Maybe.
9) What's this for?
--Mostly personal nonsense. I got a bug to re-stat the base races after someone said half-elves were crap, and it turned into this. I appreciate any of you who take your time to pitch in to any of this.
10) Hey I know someone who already made something like this, do you want a link to it?
--No!

BENCHMARK:
To help with your numbers, please defer to the following value;
Bonus feat, no restrictions (ala Human) = 10 points

BONUSES!!

GENERIC:
Bonus feat, no restrictions`
Bonus feat, restrictions (must be metamagic or fighter bonus feat or some such qualifier)`
Specific Bonus Feat, no prereqs`
Specific Bonus Feat, prereqs waived`
More than 2 automatic languages`
Gain a Feat at additional levels – you get some number of bonus feats as you level up, maybe every 5 levels or 7 levels or some such`
Blood – considered a specific type of creature (i.e. half elves count as elves)`
Able to pass for another creature without magic (i.e. albino Drow or malenti sahuagin)`

ATTRIBUTE BONUS:
+2 to a specific stat`
+2 to a stat of your choosing`
+2/-2 to specific stats`
+2/-2 to stats of your choosing`
Gain an attribute point at additional levels - you get some number of additional stat points as you level up, maybe every 5 levels or 7 levels or some such`

SKILL BONUSES:
+4 skill points at start & 1 skill point per level`
+2 to a specific skill, always`
+2 to a skill for specific uses`
+1 to a group of related skills (like an Elf’s spot/listen/Search)`
+2 to a group of related skills`
+2 to a skill of your choosing`
+2 to a Profession or Perform skill`
+4 to a specific skill`
+4 to a specific skill, conditionally (like Hide in your natural environment)`
+4 to a specific skill, conditionally`
+4 to a skill of your choosing`
+4 to a Profession or Perform skill`
+2 to all skills that use a specific stat (like all Dexterity skills or all Constitution skills)`
Specific skill is added to your Class Skills`
Skill of your choice is added to your Class Skills`
Use Dexterity for climb, jump, and swim`
Use Intelligence for bluff, diplomacy, and sense motive`
Use Strength for intimidate and handle animal`
Specific skill is always a class skill`
‘Use Magic Device’ is always a class skill`
Skill of your choice is always a class skill (Use magic Device not an option)`
Racial skill mastery (You can always take 10 on this skill even if rushed or distracted or whatever)`
A specific Knowledge skill can be rolled with Wisdom instead of Intelligence, due to a natural bond with the subject matter.`
‘Profession’ can be rolled with a stat other than Dexterity – basically you can use your best stat for this skill; a strong character could labor in a lumber yard, an intelligent character could do someone’s taxes, a charismatic character could sell new clothes to noblemen that are invisible to fools.`
‘Perform’ can be rolled with a stat other than Charisma – show off how strong or graceful or wise you are`
(I think maybe those last two should be Feats or something instead of racial abilities)

MOVEMENT BONUSES: assume a generic speed for the size
Swim Speed`
Fly Speed (perfect)`
Fly Speed (less than perfect)`
Burrow speed`
Swim speed`
Climb speed`
Speed increased by 10 ft`
Speed not reduced by armor (like a Dwarf)`

SENSORY BONUSES:
‘Track’ capability (sniffsniff)`
Darkvision`
Low-Light Vision`
Tremorsense`
Echolocation`
Smell-o-vision`

SIZE MODIFIERS:
Tiny`
Small`
Large`
Powerful Build – basically you count as 1 size bigger almost any time it benefits you to do so`
Slight Build – one size SMALLER almost any time it benefits you to do so`

MAGICAL BONUSES:
Level 0 spell SLA 3/day, specific`
Level 0 spell SLA 3/day, specific collection (like a Drow)`
Level 0 spell SLA 3/day, your choice`
Level 1 spell SLA 1/day, specific`
Level 1 spell SLA 1/day, your choice`
+1 caster level to a certain kind of magic (arcane, divine)`
+2 caster level to a certain kind of magic (arcane, divine)`
+1 caster level to a certain school or subtype of spells`
+2 caster level to a certain school or subtype of spells`
Level-based caster level bonus to a certain kind of magic (arcane, divine)`
Level-based caster level bonus to a certain school or subtype of spells`
Naturally Psionic – bonus psionic power points`
Naturally Arcane – bonus arcane spells-per-day`
Naturally Divine – bonus divine spells per day`
For spellcasters: Learn more spells; learn a spell of your highest available level every other level (Sor/Wiz) or every 4 levels from 5th level on (Ranger/Paladin) or whatever is appropriate for your class`
"Eschew Materials" applies to all spells you cast for free`
"Silent Spell" applies to all spells you cast for free`
"Still Spell" applies to all spells you cast for free`

NATURAL BONUSES:
Natural weapon (damage based on an animal your size)`
Weak natural weapon (damage based on an animal one size smaller than you)`
Strong natural weapon (damage based on an animal one size larger than you)`
(a Lizardfolk has normal Claws and a weak Bite)
+1 natural armor`
+2 natural armor`
+5 natural armor`
Natural venom – poison transferred to your target through a natural or unarmed attack; you don’t have to have a natural weapon for this, you can ooze a contact poison from your palm and slap people`
Natural poison – poison that either must be transferred by an opponent biting you or some such, or removed from your body and applied like a manufactured poison`
Does not require tent/bedroll/shelter etc. for a safe & complete sleep`
Consumes half rations – one Ration will last you two days`

DEFENSIVE BONUSES:
+2 to saving throws against specific effects (like an Elf versus enchantment)`
+2 to one kind of saving throw, no restrictions`
+4 dodge bonus, conditionally (like Gnomes vs Giants)`
DR 1/-`
DR 1/Conditional`
+1 hit point per level`
+2 hit points per level`
Regeneration 1 (presumably cut through by fire and acid, or something else)`
Fast Healing 1`
Fast Healing based on character advancement`
Immune to minor condition (condition penalties are -1 or similarly weak) (i.e. Dazzled)`
Immune to medium condition (penalties are -2 or of similar strength) (i.e. Sickened, Shaken, fighting an Invisible creature)`
Immune to major condition (penalties are -4 or greater, or of similar strength) (i.e. Flat-Footed, Petrified, Staggered)`
Immune to poison under a certain Save DC`
Immune to all poison`
Immune to secondary effects of poison`
Immune to an energy type`
Resistant to an energy type`
Immune to an alignment`
Resistant to an alignment`
Built-in Light Armor (like a Warforged)`
Built-In Medium Armor`
Built-In Heavy Armor`
Built-In Shield (Perhaps on your arm or perhaps on its own independent limb, but you still get the armor check)`
SR = Half HD`
SR = 3/4 HD`
SR = HD`
SR = HD + 5`

OFFENSIVE BONUSES:
+1 to attacking certain foes (like Dwarves vs Orcs)`
+1 to ranged attacks`
+2 to ranged attacks`
+1 to melee attacks`
+2 to melee attacks`
+2 to thrown weapons only`

SUPERNATURAL BONUSES:
Changeling-style shapeshifting`
Amphibious`
Extra set o’ arms (I’m keen on Thri-Keen)`
Fiendish or Celestial template`
Immunity to Sleep effects`
Incorporeal`
Breath Weapon or similar effect 1/day, set damage`
Breath Weapon or similar effect 1/day, level-based damage`
Breath Weapon or similar effect every 1d4 rounds, set damage`
Breath Weapon or similar effect every 1d4 rounds, level-based damage`
Able to communicate telepathically (with things that have brains)`
Stonecunning`

SOCIAL BONUSES:
Good stereotype – most races automatically assume all members of your race are good`

TACTICAL BONUSES:
Trained in use of poison`
1d6 sneak attack or other precision damage`
Proficient with martial weapon`
Proficient with exotic weapon (possibly more than one if your race has a bunch named after them)`
Proficient with weapon group (i.e. all simple & martial bludgeoning weapons)`
Proficient with all simple and martial weapons`
Proficient with one specific armor`
Proficient with medium or lesser armor`
Proficient with heavy or lesser armor`

ALIGNMENT BONUSES:
Natural weapons have alignment`
Melee weapons have alignment`

ALTERNATE CREATURE TYPE:
Aberration Type`
Living Construct Type`
Dragon Type`
Elemental Type`
Fey Type`
Giant Type (must be Large or bigger)`
Magical beast type`
Monstrous Humanoid Type`
Ooze Type (like you never wanted to play a Reason Stealer)`
Outsider Type`
Outsider Type (native to material plane)`
Plant Type`
Undead Type (sentient)`
Beneficial subtype (Angel, Lawful, Evil, Chaotic, Good, Fire, Earth, etc)`
Generic Subtype (Goblinoid) (I feel like this sort of thing might actually do more harm than good)`

-----

PENALTIES!!! ):
GENERIC PENALTIES:
No first-level Feat`
Unfortunate Subtype (I don’t have an example of this)`

ATTRIBUTE PENALTIES:
-2 to a specific stat`
-2 to a stat of your choosing`
-4 to a specific stat`
For one of your stats, your natural rating cannot go above 10. You can’t buy past it with leveling up, you can’t Wish for more (unless you Wish you could Wish for more I guess), however you can benefit from stat-enhancing items like the Gauntlets of Ogre Power or the Toupee of Goblin Charisma.`

SKILL PENALTIES:
-4 skill points at character creation & -1 skill point per level (minimum 1)`
-2 to a specific skill`
-4 to a specific skill`

MOVEMENT PENALTIES:
Speed reduced by 10 ft`
Land speed reduced –to- 5 ft`
Can’t run`

SENSORY PENALTIES:
Bad eyesight (can only see half as far)`
Bad night vision (blinded in low-light)`
Bad day vision (blinded in bright light)`

MAGICAL PENALTIES:
-1 Caster Level all magic`
-1 Caster level, conditional`
Banned from learning one subtype or school of magic`

NATURAL PENALTIES:
Consumes double rations (you need two rations a day to keep fed, staying at an inn with board may cost you more)`
Restricted diet – the food you need cannot be stored and carried like normal food (vampires need blood, maybe some race needs fresh meat)`
Can’t breathe air`
Not proficient with natural weapon (can be fixed with a Feat)`
Doesn’t have arms/hands capable of functioning like a humanoid (get out of here, quadraped!)
Can’t sleep properly without specific complex conditions, such as hanging upside down or being in luxury`

DEFENSIVE PENALTIES:
Vulnerable to an energy type`
Vulnerable to an alignment`
Vulnerable to a school or subtype of magic`
-1 to Armor Class (you’re soft and delicate)`
-2 to Armor Class`
Max Dex Bonus even when unarmored`
Armor Check Penalty even when unarmored`
-2 to saving throws against specific effects`
-2 to one kind of saving throw, no restrictions`
Half benefit from healing effects`
Cannot be healed by healing effects`

OFFENSIVE PENALTIES:
-1 to ranged attacks`
-2 to ranged attacks`
-1 to melee attacks`
-2 to melee attacks`

SUPERNATURAL PENALTIES:
Light Sensitivity`
Light Allergy – takes the ‘Sickened’ condition when in bright light and needs time out of the light to recover`
Light Toxicity – takes the ‘Nauseated’ condition after being exposed to bright light for a few rounds, takes time to recover`

SOCIAL PENALTIES:
‘Common’ not an automatic language`
Evil stereotype – most races automatically assume all members of your race are bad`
Unable to speak`
-2 to social rolls`
-4 to social rolls`

TACTICAL PENALTIES:
Not proficient with any martial weapons based on class`
Not proficient with ANY weapons based on class`
Not proficient with any armor or shields based on class`
Can't wear armor (like a Warforged)`

-----

OTHER!!! This is stuff I’m not sure if is good or bad, or it’s weird mechanics I came up with.

Slugger: “When this creature makes multiple attacks in one round, all of those attacks take a -2 penalty. If this creature makes only one attack per round, it gets a bonus to attack and damage equal to half of its BaB. This is not affected by the number of hands gripping the weapon.”`

Hard to Kill: “Once per round, when this creature is at zero or less hit points, as a swift action it can make a DC 15 Fortitude save. If it makes the save, it is restored to one hit point & is given the ‘Staggered’ condition. The condition remains until the creature has received some successful healing, either magical or simple first aid.”`

Cute: This creature will receive penalties to charisma checks to intimidate or bully but bonuses to sweet-talk and manipulation. It will generally be regarded, at first, as inconsequential.`

Ugly: This creature gets penalties to attempts to be friendly, but bonuses to attempts to be scary or stern. It will generally be regarded, at first, as unreasonable.`

Pathetic: This creature is ugly but not scary. It will get penalties to virtually all social rolls, and will be considered both inconsequential and unreasonable. It will get bonuses to trying to act pathetic, such as a kobold trying to be too pitiful to be slain by a knight.`

Glorious: This creature will receive bonuses to virtually all social rolls. It will generally be regarded, at first, as competent and a leader. It may receive penalties to attempts to ask for aid, however, as it seems like it should be able to handle any problem.`

Stupid: Intelligence-based skills are removed from this creature’s class skills. It can obtain them later through other means, but not by multiclassing.`

Weak: Strength-based skills are removed from this creature’s class skills. It can obtain them later through other means, but not by multiclassing.`

Dull: Wisdom-based skills are removed from this creature’s class skills. It can obtain them later through other means, but not by multiclassing.`

Crude: Charisma-based skills are removed from this creature’s class skills. It can obtain them later through other means, but not by multiclassing.`

Clumsy: Dexterity-based skills other than Balance, Climb, Ride, and Tumble are removed from this creature’s class skills. It can obtain them later through other means, but not by multiclassing.`

Oafish: Balance, Climb, Ride, and Tumble are removed from this creature’s class skills. It can obtain them later through other means, but not by multiclassing.`

Immune to Magic: For better or for worse, magic has no effect on this creature. It cannot become a spellcaster or use magical devices. They cannot benefit from magical items, though enhanced weapons and armor function normally. Beneficial spells cannot affect it. Attack spells have no effect on it, save for those of the Conjuration school, since that lightning bolt stopped being magical before it got to the target. This does not protect them from Divination.`

Here’s an example:
Half Orc
Medium
Humanoid
+4 Str
-2 Int, -2 Cha
+1 Natural Armor
+1 HP per level
Darkvision 60 ft
Proficient with orc Double Axe
Proficient with all simple and martial bludgeoning melee weapons
Weak Bite attack, Tusks, 1d4 – not proficient
Counts as both a Human and an Orc for relevant effects
‘Slugger’ special ability

--and then from there you would pick if you’re just a perfect mix, or a little more human, or a little more orc, for additional penalties and bonuses, but I want to write up the full ‘human’ and ‘orc’ before working on the specifics of the half-breed. This was a bad example!

I also want something to label humans as the ‘teenagers’ of the races. Compared to the others we’re young and ignorant and brash, but passionate and fast-learners. The fast-learning bit is covered, but I don’t know if the longer-lived races should have some benefit we don’t to cover the first part, or if humans should have some penalty.

Particle_Man
2018-10-12, 02:52 PM
Have you looked at the pathfinder advanced race guide? They have a "race builder" that you might be able to crib from.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-races/