PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Illusionist (new 5e class)

Blackflight
2018-10-12, 05:52 AM
I've created a new illusionist class for 5e. If you have any feedback it would be much appreciated! I apologize in advance for any typos!

See Link: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SkBf_gq9m

The class is work in progress and I still need to add images, more fluff and perhaps balance some mechanics a little more. Here is a short description of the class along with some reflections on balancing:

The illusionist is a rogue/mage hybrid that combines dexterity-based martial prowess with illusion spells to misdirect and frighten his foes. A core feature of this class is the ability to summon a mimic that aids you in deceiving and confuse your enemies. The mimic is mainly inspired by the cleric's trickery domain divine feature that lets him invoke a duplicate. The mimic is expanded upon this feature and is essentially an improved summon familiar spell that scales well with your illusionist level advancement.

The illusionist has the opportunist feature which works similiar to the rogue's sneak attack, but rather than adding damage for each 2nd level, opportunist applies to all attacks from lvl 5 and forward. Combined with extra attack and the ability to have your mimic attack as well at later levels makes this feature scale well into the late game. I added the unfair advantage feature at lvl 5 instead of right away at lvl 2 to avoid this class from becoming a too powerful multiclass option. The opportunist feature is basically a conditional hunter's mark that does not require a bonus action to pass on between targets.

The basic idea behind the illusionist class is to confuse your enemies by casting illusion spells, use clever positioning of your mimic to teleport around the battlefield with smoke and mirrors and find openings where you can use your opportunist feature.

Rather than having the illusionist use spells like paladins or rangers I decided to add an alternative way of casting spells through incantations. The illusionist has a very limited selection of spells and a limited amount of spell slots each long rest but has more flexibility in the way he can cast these spells. Since he is supposed to be the master of illusion spells he also gains earlier access to higher level spells than a paladin or ranger would.

With conditional damage modifiers, features like smoke and mirrors and the very nature of how illusion spells work in DnD 5e, the illusionist is designed to be a class that excels heavily in the hands of a clever and creative player.

What do you think of this class? Is it balanced? Do you think it would be fun to play?

All feedback is appreciated, Thank you!

brendanratigan
2019-06-11, 12:32 PM
I was thinking about trying this build out. It sounds like a ton of fun. Any updates on balancing?

paladinn
2019-06-11, 05:28 PM
Have you looked at the Illusionist class in Castles & Crusades? It's pretty interesting.. illusory healing.. something that definitely differentiates it from a wizard.

sandmote
2019-06-12, 10:54 PM
I like this idea, although I feel the additional incantations should be set up as a table under Incantation, instead of as separate features. You could then add a later feature letting you move certain spells as bonus actions instead of actions, and a feature letting you ignore concentration requirements for those spells.

A feature allowing you to give yourself temporary hitpoints would be a neat addition. A sort of illusory health. If not as a class feature, maybe as a subclass?

Minor stuff:

Any reason arcana and intimidation aren't class skills?
Looking through another creature's eyes and ears usually explicitly blinds and deafens you with regard to your own senses.
The greater mimic probably shouldn't be proficient with a weapon unless you are.
I would add Greater Invisibility as an option instead of having it replace invisibility. Invisibility lasts longer, so it still has a niche.
The ruffian could probably use a ribbon/fluff ability.

Expertis
2019-06-13, 03:53 AM
Thanks
expertis.vn

Bruniik
2019-06-25, 08:43 PM
Overall looks quite fleshed out which I know takes a lot of work so I commend you for that.

A minor thing but on the Illusionist table I would change 'Incantations per rest' to 'Incantations per long rest' to match up with the feature description and avoid confusion.

The ruffians seems weapon master fighting style seems very exploitable with heavy weapons and the associated feats + Dexterity already being very strong. Maybe just make it a melee martial weapon without the heavy tag?