PDA

View Full Version : Symbol Spell Use

Azriel_fell
2018-10-12, 08:17 AM
Hi people, I had a question concerning Symbols spell and their potential applications. I know that symbol spells by their nature cannot be used in an “offensive” manner (such as putting one on a sword and hitting people etc) but I had an idea for an NPC for my campaign that used symbol spells on special arrows, which react not to impact, but proximity. The entry for Symbol of Death states that the entries for triggering the spell (reading, looking at etc) are default methods of triggering the spell, so can you have more complex or abstract ways of triggering the spell provided it doesn’t conflict with the explicit limitations of symbol spells.

RedMage125
2018-10-12, 09:30 AM
The answer to your problem is Creativity (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0448.html).

Malphegor
2018-10-12, 10:07 AM
In retrospect, symbol spells really needed the RAW from glyph of warding as a 'related' 'scratch it on a wall or floor, get effect on nearby targets' spell- if you move it 15feet or more away from where it's marked on, it becomes inactive.

As is by RAW I think symbol spells should work fine for what Azriel wants- mark it on a arrow, shoot it, it activates when within range of suitable targets.

ShurikVch
2018-10-12, 10:26 AM
I'm pretty sure there was some Construct (or Undead?) with a permanent Symbol of Pain carved on it's body
Also, Logokron devils (Tome of Magic) are all have Symbol of Pain tattoo on their tongues