PDA

View Full Version : Spells Known

Ihazturtlez
2018-10-12, 08:19 AM
Hi there, currently in a campaign I have an Eldritch Knight 8/ War Mage Wizard 2. I have 3 cantrips, 3 first level spells, and I believe 2 2nd level spells (I don't have the sheet with me). I know how many slots I have by using the multiclassing table in the back of the PHB, but I don't know how many spells known I should have.

Tanarii
2018-10-12, 08:55 AM
You should have Spells Known as an EK 8, and as a Wizard 2.

EK 8 gets:
2 Cantrips
6 spells known up to level 2.
Max level 2 spells is 4: 1 chosen at level 7 and one replaced at level 7, 1 chosen at level 8 and one replaced at level 8.

Wizard 2 gets:
3 Cantrips
8 level 1 spells in their spellbook, 6 from level 1 and 2 from level 2.
Can prepare up to Int Mod + 2 spells from their spellbook.
Can ritual cast any ritual spells in their spellbook
Can add any level 1 spells they find on scrolls to their spellbook.

DerficusRex
2018-10-12, 09:06 AM
According to the multiclassing rules: "You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class."

Wizards don't have a limit on spells known, but you start with 6 spells in your spellbook and can add 2 more for free when you gain a wizard level (plus whatever spells you manage to come across and add on your own in the course of adventuring).

Wizards can prepare up to (int modifier + wizard level) spells. So if your EK 8 / Wiz 2 has an int of 18, that's 6 spells you can prepare from your wizard spellbook (modifier 4 + level 2).

The Eldritch Knight doesn't prepare spells, but has a limit on how many are known. Looking at the EK subclass table, that's 6 spells at level 8 (four of which have to be abjuration or evocation - you get one from any other school with your first three initial spells and your level 8 spell is the next one that isn't limited that way).

So here's what you have available:
- 3 cantrips from Wiz
- 2 cantrips from EK
- 6 spells known from EK (fixed list, four must be abj or evoc, can swap out one each time you level)
- 6* spells prepared from Wiz spellbook (can change every day if you want, limited by what spells are in your spellbook)

* - again, assuming an int of 18.

You then have 4 first level and 3 second level slots with which to use those 12 available spells (according to the multiclass spell slot table).

Ihazturtlez
2018-10-12, 09:25 AM
According to the multiclassing rules: "You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class."

Wizards don't have a limit on spells known, but you start with 6 spells in your spellbook and can add 2 more for free when you gain a wizard level (plus whatever spells you manage to come across and add on your own in the course of adventuring).

Wizards can prepare up to (int modifier + wizard level) spells. So if your EK 8 / Wiz 2 has an int of 18, that's 6 spells you can prepare from your wizard spellbook (modifier 4 + level 2).

The Eldritch Knight doesn't prepare spells, but has a limit on how many are known. Looking at the EK subclass table, that's 6 spells at level 8 (four of which have to be abjuration or evocation - you get one from any other school with your first three initial spells and your level 8 spell is the next one that isn't limited that way).

So here's what you have available:
- 3 cantrips from Wiz
- 2 cantrips from EK
- 6 spells known from EK (fixed list, four must be abj or evoc, can swap out one each time you level)
- 6* spells prepared from Wiz spellbook (can change every day if you want, limited by what spells are in your spellbook)

* - again, assuming an int of 18.

You then have 4 first level and 3 second level slots with which to use those 12 available spells (according to the multiclass spell slot table).

Thank you for breaking it down for me. I have some major spell searching to do now.