PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing Metallic Fibers

AdmiralCheez
2018-10-12, 10:15 AM
I've got a sewing project I'm working on; it's a pirate-style frock coat that is supposed to be more distinguished and noble-looking. So, I need gold trim. Problem is, I keep finding trims with really nice patterns, but in a wrong shade of gold that doesn't match well with the buttons or color of fabric.

So does anyone know a method of dyeing a trim made mostly from metallic fibers? I've noticed a lot of fabric dyes say they specifically don't work on metallic, and I've tried soaking it in tea, that doesn't work either. Anyone got any ideas?

Recherché
2018-10-13, 12:56 PM
Dying metallic fabric tends to not work because metallic threads are usually made out of polyester or another plastic which only accept dyes at temperatures of over 400 degrees. There just aren't any natural fibers look metallic and that accept dyes readily at temperatures you can achieve in your kitchen.

You can temporarily *stain* plastic based textiles with sharpie dye but it's not something I'd recommend. It's tricky to match shades at best and it can dull down the metalics. You will probably not get the exact shade you're looking for if you're trying to match something.

Peelee
2018-10-13, 01:45 PM
Asked a friend of mine, he agrees with Recherché.

Well, what's there seems to be true. Dying synthetics is next to impossible...and either staining or painting is apparently the only way to change the color.

AdmiralCheez
2018-10-13, 03:27 PM
Yeah, that seems to be the consensus I'm getting. Didn't really want to use paint because it would stiffen the fabric, but thanks for confirming my suspicions!

Sermil
2018-10-16, 02:37 PM
:durkon: The fibers are dying?!? Raise Dead!