PDA

View Full Version : Intelligence & The Arcane Archer

Garfunion
2018-10-12, 11:41 AM
I have been in all the AL legal books(that I own) to find an additional outline use for a higher than normal intelligence score for my arcane archer. While multi-classing into a war wizard would probably be the best thing to do, I was hoping for a different direction (I do not like multi-classing). Anyone here have some alternate suggestions?

nickl_2000
2018-10-12, 11:51 AM
What about using one of your many fighter ASIs for Magic Initiate: Wizard?

Linguist would be a cool RP feat too

Garfunion
2018-10-12, 12:24 PM
What about using one of your many fighter ASIs for Magic Initiate: Wizard? I plan on picking up the magic initiate feat but for druid. The goodberry spell is more useful than most people think. It doesn’t specify size of creature, I can use a berry to feed my mount or even a giant.

I also plan on picking up the ritual casting feat(wizard).

Man_Over_Game
2018-10-12, 12:27 PM
I know you're against multiclassing, but there are a couple of options you can look into with Rogue.

Arcane Trickster naturally scales with Intelligence and Dexterity, so you don't change much from what you already are doing, you do gain sneak attack bonuses, and a bunch of cool RP abilities with your Mage Hand.

The Inquisitive Rogue can use an Investigation check as a bonus action, and it also can study a target at any range for easy sneak attacks, perfect for a character with Sharpshooter.

Curving Shot also makes the most of your loss of number of attacks going this route, as you get another chance to land an attack for Sneak Attack.

Sneak Attack can match the damage of the extra type, so it can still be considered magical necrotic/poison/whatever of your choice.

And Shadow Arrow can grant yourself advantage on your next attack in the same turn, so you can grant yourself Sneak Attack without extra work.

ImproperJustice
2018-10-12, 06:14 PM
Take Skilled and grab some intelligence based proficiencies?
Ritual Caster is always cool.

Keen Mind and familiars are great for making maps, and scouting with excellent details.

strangebloke
2018-10-12, 10:02 PM
TBH just take a level of knowledge cleric and/or the prodigy feat to totally dominate some int skill.

Of the int skills, I'd pick investigation.

Dalebert
2018-10-14, 11:15 AM
Of the int skills, I'd pick investigation.

Honestly, it kind of blows my mind when rogues don't. How often have I heard "Why am I not good at finding traps?!" Uhm, because you chose not to be? They clearly established that intelligence is a secondary stat for rogues after dex and they get extra skills to start with which can include investigation but you didn't take that. *shrug* I get that people would like for everything in their class to always be based on their primary stat but it just doesn't make sense for trap-finding to be based on dex and rogues aren't that MAD at all. You can max dex and still have a decent int and wis and be in great shape for roguing.