PDA

View Full Version : Waterdeep Dragon Heist Store Help

Personification
2018-10-12, 12:42 PM
I am preparing to DM Waterdeep Dragon Heist, and I wanted to add a few stores to the city. My first idea, which I had because I was trying to think of ways to add in NPCs with voices I know how to do, was City Lights. The store is owned by an Air Genasi woman named Lois Reitzes, who looks exactly like Lois Reitzes (host of NPR's City Lights), except her skin is tinged greyish blue. She sounds like me doing my passable impression of Lois Reitzes.

The plan is for the store to sell everything related to illumination. She sells nonmagical lighting, like candles and lamp oil, as well as magic items. The magic items are the part that I need help with. I want her to sell the common magic items Candle of the deep and objects (I am not sure which yet) with the minor properties sentinel and/or beacon, as well as Driftglobes et cetera. EDIT: I also had an idea for different types of lanterns with continual flame cast on them.

I am a pretty new DM and I have the following magical properties questions:

Are there any items that you think I need to put in the store for the theme? What should the maximum power of the items be based on the campaign (1-5) and setting (Waterdeep)? How on Toril do I price stuff?
Puns are appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your help.

EvilAnagram
2018-10-12, 12:54 PM
First of all, you should name the shopkeeper Lois Wrongzes.

Aside from that, I wouldn't include and rare or rarer items, and very few uncommon. I would avoid magic weapons altogether. This module thrives on creative solutions to problems, and you don't want them to think stabbing will be the answer. Stick to items that are oddball and let them find odd solutions to problems. Animal statuary, tokens, bags of trucks, etc.

Personification
2018-10-12, 12:59 PM
First of all, you should name the shopkeeper Lois Wrongzes.

Aside from that, I wouldn't include and rare or rarer items, and very few uncommon. I would avoid magic weapons altogether. This module thrives on creative solutions to problems, and you don't want them to think stabbing will be the answer. Stick to items that are oddball and let them find odd solutions to problems. Animal statuary, tokens, bags of trucks, etc.

I feel like that doesn't fit with the setting very well, but if you find me stats for a Bag of Drays...

Anyway, I don't know if Bags of [Vehicles] (or Tricks for that matter) are what I would want for the store. every single thing in there should be light themed. I think there might be some weapons, but they only glow (no +x or other combat bonus). I actually like Driftglobe because it works as a creative solution to the sunlight Vault Key (if I end up using sunlight as a key).

EvilAnagram
2018-10-12, 02:05 PM
I feel like that doesn't fit with the setting very well, but if you find me stats for a Bag of Drays...

Anyway, I don't know if Bags of [Vehicles] (or Tricks for that matter) are what I would want for the store. every single thing in there should be light themed. I think there might be some weapons, but they only glow (no +x or other combat bonus). I actually like Driftglobe because it works as a creative solution to the sunlight Vault Key (if I end up using sunlight as a key).

Damn my sensitive phone and clumsy fingers!

Although trucks have lights. Just saying.

Beleriphon
2018-10-12, 02:05 PM
I am preparing to DM Waterdeep Dragon Heist, and I wanted to add a few stores to the city. My first idea, which I had because I was trying to think of ways to add in NPCs with voices I know how to do, was City Lights. The store is owned by an Air Genasi woman named Lois Reitzes, who looks exactly like Lois Reitzes (host of NPR's City Lights), except her skin is tinged greyish blue. She sounds like me doing my passable impression of Lois Reitzes.

The plan is for the store to sell everything related to illumination. She sells nonmagical lighting, like candles and lamp oil, as well as magic items. The magic items are the part that I need help with. I want her to sell the common magic items Candle of the deep and objects (I am not sure which yet) with the minor properties sentinel and/or beacon, as well as Driftglobes et cetera. I am a pretty new DM and I have the following magical properties questions:

Are there any items that you think I need to put in the store for the theme? What should the maximum power of the items be based on the campaign (1-5) and setting (Waterdeep)? How on Toril do I price stuff?
Puns are appreciated.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Waterdeep is a large enough city that you can reasonably find any common magic item you want, with a bit of effort. That said given the name I'd go with nautical themed objects, although that isn't necessarily the case since Waterdeep is basically a fantasy New York/London/Tokyo sort of deal where it on a major (or ocean) waterway and still has a huge amount of ship traffic most of the residents aren't actually directly involved in the shipping industry.

Personification
2018-10-12, 02:09 PM
Waterdeep is a large enough city that you can reasonably find any common magic item you want, with a bit of effort. That said given the name I'd go with nautical themed objects, although that isn't necessarily the case since Waterdeep is basically a fantasy New York/London/Tokyo sort of deal where it on a major (or ocean) waterway and still has a huge amount of ship traffic most of the residents aren't actually directly involved in the shipping industry.

The name is City Lights, and the theme is all lights. I am mostly asking for advice on how heavily to stock the store (magic wise), and what cost to grant magic items.

Legendairy
2018-10-12, 02:39 PM
Lemme try a little. As everyone said common and uncommon from the books. But things like potions that make the characters glow (ala humanoid glowstick), immortal fireflies/lightning bugs in a jar, or glued to a stick. Candles that work underwater (maybe ONLY underwater). A mechanical lighter or two, glasses that allow the wearer to use the spectacles like bullseye lanterns (beams from their eyes and all). Clockwork animals of all sizes that have candle holders on them. Flying torch sconces, candles or torches/lanterns that auto light when the characters clap.

Personification
2018-10-12, 05:27 PM
Lemme try a little. As everyone said common and uncommon from the books. But things like potions that make the characters glow (ala humanoid glowstick), immortal fireflies/lightning bugs in a jar, or glued to a stick. Candles that work underwater (maybe ONLY underwater). A mechanical lighter or two, glasses that allow the wearer to use the spectacles like bullseye lanterns (beams from their eyes and all). Clockwork animals of all sizes that have candle holders on them. Flying torch sconces, candles or torches/lanterns that auto light when the characters clap.

The underwater candle thing already exists. It is called a Candle of the Deep, is found in XGtE, and is also listed in the examples given in the OP. I do like the eye-beams though. How would you price it (and other items)?

Darth Ultron
2018-10-12, 06:26 PM

Well 5E does not have a ton of stuff to pick from and even less low level stuff.

But you want to stick to items of cantrip level...maybe 1st level spell effects.

A Common magic item you want 100 gold, or less. Even more so for a non-combat item.

Maybe like:

*A lantern that plays a song while lit (25 gp)
*A lantern that plays a song while lit and makes tiny flying fiery animals (40 gp)
*As above, but also adds a fiery image of the last person to touch the lantern to the dance

*Small metal 'lightning bugs' that animate and float around the user (100 gp)

*Light Worms-a flash light(basically), but it also animates (like a worm) (75 gp)

*An everburning candle (50 gp)

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-10-13, 12:34 AM
Honestly what you already have is pretty good. With that being said though for this kind of shop I'd make a reputable front market, with a back alley type market catering to the more subtle brethren in the night.

Some off the cuff ideas I had.
Hand of Glory: a desiccated hand holding a candle, when lit only the bearer can see the light. Confers the covetous quirk on it's owner. (Should be illegal to sell.)
Ring of dancing lights: lets you cast the spell dancing lights (preferably without concentration but that's up to you.)
Ball of blinding: single use casting of blindness DC=12
A torch that only lights when given blood but gives off double the light.

The following are basically just taken straight from the control flames cantrip. Minor common items though the arsonist one should be illegal to sell.
Ring of brightening: As an action double the area of bright and dim light cast by a fire.
Ring of Dimming:As an action halve the area of bright and dim light cast by a fire.
Firewatch: Instantly snuff out a flame that fits inside a 5' cube
Arsonist: as an action you expand any non-magical flame 5' in any direction
Bards Flute: While playing this flute you can cause the flames near you to form a vague shape

Personification
2018-10-13, 07:12 PM
I don't want there to be any criminal aspect, but I do like some of the others. How much should things cost? (Figuring that out was the main point of the thread.)

Personification
2018-10-14, 09:56 AM
Also, how do I add the DM Help tag to this thread?

Zanthy1
2018-10-15, 07:00 AM
I would say most of the items should be 100gp or under, though depending on how much money you give the party i'd adjust accordingly. If they're loaded, then make it cost more etc. Maybe have 2-3 Big Ticket items that cost 250 or something

Legendairy
2018-10-15, 03:12 PM
I agree with the 100gp and under clause, just use your best judgement. I would not scale to the parties wealth, just seems.....mean. Although, after they do the stuff for Volo, and get their reward, people may try to gouge them assuming they are loaded.

Personification
2018-10-15, 07:30 PM
I actually think that the opposite might be true. Based on the starting gp of most characters, I would actually expect them to have to go into debt to refurbish the inn or buy magic items, Even if they get all of the treasure from the Zhents. Is there something I'm missing here?

Darth Ultron
2018-10-16, 01:34 AM
Well to 'refurbish' an Inn should not cost too much and put someone in debt. That would be more like ''building an Inn''.

And non combat and weak magic items would be about 100 gold or less. Now useful, combat items would be more, of course, as they will be rare.

Unoriginal
2018-10-16, 04:06 AM
There are rules for magic item prices in the Xanathar's (specifically, the Buying and Crafting magic item sections in Downtime).

IMO, non-consumable common or uncommon magic items would be in the 100-200gp range, with ones that are just a Contanual Flame going as low as 75gp at minimum.

It'd be a luxury shop, no doubt.

Personification
2018-10-16, 03:46 PM
Well to 'refurbish' an Inn should not cost too much and put someone in debt. That would be more like ''building an Inn''.

And non combat and weak magic items would be about 100 gold or less. Now useful, combat items would be more, of course, as they will be rare.

There is a sidebar with specific prices, which while not extreme are still large, and assuming that the characters use starting equipment and backgrounds they will not be able to pay this.

Legendairy
2018-10-16, 04:03 PM
Them going into debt to refurbish is irrelevant. It’s whats perceived, they have a huge inn, just did all the work to reopen it (more than likely), it would probably come across to people that they have money. Regardless of what’s true.

Personification
2018-10-16, 06:31 PM
Them going into debt to refurbish is irrelevant. It’s whats perceived, they have a huge inn, just did all the work to reopen it (more than likely), it would probably come across to people that they have money. Regardless of what’s true.

My point was only that, in contrast to what was implied by a poster upthread, the characters would not be flush with money at that point in the campaign.

Legendairy
2018-10-16, 11:12 PM
Oh, absolutely, my players are broke!

sambojin
2018-10-17, 07:23 AM
Have a look through the trinkets list in the PHB, Curse o S, the elves list from XGtE, etc. Pick any that have even a minor light theme, or even a firelighter theme (there was a thing that shot sparks when wet, handy for lighting stuff in inclement weather).

If you need to, amp them up a notch or two so they're actually useful. But this can help fill out the 10-50gp items in the store, so they're not all lvl1 spell equivalents.

SirGraystone
2018-10-17, 08:07 AM
Continual Flame can make torch light without danger of burning down the Inn in a bar fight, and they can be cast on all kind of items.

A store who sell items about light, should have thing for shadows, like a lantern for a children room, that cast shadow of hopping rabbits on the walls, or sailing ship with the sound of the sea, moving tree branches with the noise of wind in the leaves.