PDA

View Full Version : STRanger into "Marshal"

Accy_Sevin
2018-10-12, 12:50 PM
So a bit of background before we begin. Stats were a group rolled array. Each player and the GM rolled 1 of the numbers and we all got the array. The optimization level of the group is usually very low so I need a build that carries through its allies without showing off. All WotC sources including UA are allowed except Mystic due to flavor conflicts with the world. UA multiclassing is allowed.

The Array: 17, 16, 16, 15, 14, 12 (Crazy good, I know.) V.hum Assigned 16, 14, 15, 16, 13(+1 adj), 18(+1 adj)

My first level was the Revised Ranger (1h/shield) and I took Inspiring Leader.

That's what's locked in. The rest is my plan.

2.) Cleric: (Order)
3.) RRanger (Dueling)
4.) RRanger (Hunter, Horde Breaker)
5.) Bard
6.) Bard
7.) Bard (Glamour)
8.) RRanger
9.) RRanger
10.) [RRanger/Bard]?
11+ Bard.

Basically it slow rolls into eventually making 2-3 melee attacks a round and expending resources to help the other characters very much like a marshal.

What I'm looking for is ways to improve the existing concept or any flaws you might spot.

Thanks for looking :) :smallsmile:

strangebloke
2018-10-12, 01:32 PM
Ah, yes, the classic thread. A tripleclassed build with 'rolled' stats in the upper stratosphere with a point-buy value of 59.

This build is honestly schizophrenic. The ranger is not really a support character, so I think its kind of strange that you went with the ranger if that's your plan.

The 1 level of order cleric is very good for this build, although bear in mind that your spells known and total caster level is going to be pretty low until you get to those bard levels...

Those bard levels... why? I assume you're going for the glamour movement ability? That's going to come online very late. You'd be much better just getting your second attack and then going back to cleric. Otherwise your character is going to end up in a very awkward spot by level 10 where he can cast spells 4th level spells but the highest spell he knows is second level.

TBH I'd just keep with the Order cleric levels. The cleric list is great utility and support and it makes things way less awkward.

Also, your current build can't multiclass from ranger unless you assign higher WIS.

Accy_Sevin
2018-10-12, 02:34 PM
The classic thread indeed. :smallwink: I do appreciate the input though. :smallsmile:

The reason for the bard levels over more order cleric is the party comp. We have a dedicated cleric and I'm trying not to take over anyone's niche.
I started with ranger for much the same reason.

Legendairy
2018-10-12, 02:46 PM
What is the party comp? So we know who’s toes to spare? I mean you could just go straight bard, good utility and cherry picking options the party needs. Inspiration and buffing with good stats and still have abilities to help, valor or swords could work and at 10 swift quiver if you want combat potency on top of everything else.

strangebloke
2018-10-12, 02:53 PM
What is the party comp? So we know who’s toes to spare? I mean you could just go straight bard, good utility and cherry picking options the party needs. Inspiration and buffing with good stats and still have abilities to help, valor or swords could work and at 10 swift quiver if you want combat potency on top of everything else.

TBH I would agree with this as well. Martial basically a type of valor bard, or a battlemaster.

Accy_Sevin
2018-10-12, 02:54 PM
Cleric, Monk, Wizard, 2hFighter.

It's a strange and motley crew. The monk is covering thieving duties and the wizard is the face.

Legendairy
2018-10-12, 03:18 PM
Cleric, Monk, Wizard, 2hFighter.

It's a strange and motley crew. The monk is covering thieving duties and the wizard is the face.

I would go straight bard more than likely, at least initially. The stats work very well with a martial bard, take skills that round the party out. Also, just cause you have a cleric doesn’t always mean healbot, a few back up healing things like healing word go a long ways. You could go ranged combat and be good with feats focusing on it. Things like fearie fire buff everyone in combat, pass without trace, for helping the infiltration game. Bard would work extremely well in this group. Sorcerer could do great too with adding metamagic and focusing on CC or battlefield control. No rogue(I know what you said about the monk) so arcane trickster could work amazingly well with this group and give a bit of diversity, just won’t be as support as it sounded you wanted to be.