PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for running modules?

Rfkannen
2018-10-12, 12:59 PM
So my last campaign I was dming just wrapped up, meaning I am just playing right now, but i decided to start planning for the next campaign ill run (won't be for a while, one of the players wanted to try dming, so im now playing in 1 weekly game and 2 every other week games, and that is about as much as I can handle). Since I have never really run a module (I have stolen parts though: basic idea from atcrg, the main town from curse of strahd, bunch of traps from tomb of annihilation.) I thought it would be fun to run the sunless citidel

but I have never run a module before, and was wondering if you had any tips for it?

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-10-12, 08:20 PM
Read the whole thing and be prepared for random PC choices like to negotiate when they should fight or fight when negotiating seems the obvious choice.

I installed a flamboyant/nutz NPC with one of the teleporting spells and reincarnate into one. I don't think she ever rolled a die or in combat but it gave me some flexibility when players would miss.

I also gave the PC's a personal link, some things which didn't change the story but made rescuing folks seem more natural.

Have a couple random encounters handy in case they don't take the adventuring hooks. Let them go save sheep from wherewolves or whatever they turn up in town.

GreyBlack
2018-10-12, 08:34 PM
So my last campaign I was dming just wrapped up, meaning I am just playing right now, but i decided to start planning for the next campaign ill run (won't be for a while, one of the players wanted to try dming, so im now playing in 1 weekly game and 2 every other week games, and that is about as much as I can handle). Since I have never really run a module (I have stolen parts though: basic idea from atcrg, the main town from curse of strahd, bunch of traps from tomb of annihilation.) I thought it would be fun to run the sunless citidel

but I have never run a module before, and was wondering if you had any tips for it?

Never run it straight. Take the information and make it a part of a larger world. Modify parts that need to be modified. Maybe callbacks to your old campaign would be in order?

Gastronomie
2018-10-12, 11:33 PM
Never run it straight. Take the information and make it a part of a larger world. Modify parts that need to be modified. Maybe callbacks to your old campaign would be in order?This. At least I have never run an official model without modifying almost everything so much until it became something completely different, but I have never regretted it.

Every DM has his own quirks and tendencies. Rebuild the story so it fits you more, because it will make it easier for you to run.

Not to mention, attempting to railroad the story into the original module will never, ever work (in fact, neither will an attempt to railroad it into your own original story). Thus you will need to be ready for improvised storytelling, and the easiest key to that is to think about themes or atmospheres you wish to convey throughout the campaign.

TerakasTaranath
2018-10-13, 01:20 AM
As stated above yes you definitely want to make this your own. My players favorite parts of Storm Kings Thunder and Curse of Strahd (which I ran) were parts I invented or let them deviated from the module.

Modules are great because they give you ideas,plots, a vibe/setting for everyone to buy into but at the end of the day it's yours and your players will love you more for making it your own.

Foxhound438
2018-10-13, 01:26 AM
Never run it straight. Take the information and make it a part of a larger world. Modify parts that need to be modified. Maybe callbacks to your old campaign would be in order?

I can agree with this. Definitely take out or add in as you will, and try to give some semblance of personality to the random encounter enemies. Definitely don't be afraid of turning unimportant characters into funny caricatures, that always works for me.

Tanarii
2018-10-13, 04:56 AM
Make crib notes for actual use at the table.

Seriously, running modules straight from them, for anything except the very oldest B-series modules, is a pain in the ass. You have to wade through a bunch of info to get what you need right now without disrupting the flow of the game.

Any encounter space should have about two lines of text describing the area, and maybe two each for any creature's combat stats you need. Anything more than that isn't useful for actual at the table running of the game without destroying pacing.