PDA

View Full Version : Xorvintaal: always a bigger fish

Buufreak
2018-10-12, 08:45 PM
So, I love the idea of Xorvintaal. It gives help to crazy unorganized campaigns, it gives dragons a more draconian feel, it's just great. But I had this idea, and it spurs from the multitude of games I've played. What if every game was just a tier, like an entry gateway into the next level?

Took over a city? Time for a countryside. Then continent. Then globe. Then plane! Hell, even get all the other settings in on it. Obviously we would know who is the resounding champ of Athas, but I think it would be a neat idea to see how high of a scale this game could reach.

Just a thought.

unseenmage
2018-10-13, 01:44 AM
I admit. I had to go look this up (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Xorvintaal).

Losing all one's magic would seem much, much too high a price to pay to play.

Buufreak
2018-10-13, 08:39 AM
And that's a fair point, the template does give up magic on dragons. As I said in OP, it makes them more draconian, I suppose I should have mentioned the less scaley sorcerer part.

The Glyphstone
2018-10-13, 08:44 AM
It sort of has to be an all or nothing thing for your setting. Otherwise spellcasting dragons can play Xorvintaal better than templated dragons.

Silly Name
2018-10-13, 09:07 AM
It sort of has to be an all or nothing thing for your setting. Otherwise spellcasting dragons can play Xorvintaal better than templated dragons.

It is my understanding that dragons who don't renounce spellcasting can't play the game.

Maybe the cost could be lessened by making magic simply forbidden in the context of the game, but still allowing the players to use it in other situations?

EDIT: I do agree that making all dragons in a setting partecipate in the Game is probably a better choice. The idea that the entire race is playing a ridiculously complex and long game appeals to me, and even without magics, dragons are still dragons.

SodaQueen
2018-10-13, 09:13 AM
Xorvintaal is great. I love the fluff and it's cool to fight a dragon that actully feels like a dragon.

I agree with Glyphstone; it's very all or nothing in a setting.

Buufreak
2018-10-13, 09:45 AM
It is my understanding that dragons who don't renounce spellcasting can't play the game.

Maybe the cost could be lessened by making magic simply forbidden in the context of the game, but still allowing the players to use it in other situations?

EDIT: I do agree that making all dragons in a setting partecipate in the Game is probably a better choice. The idea that the entire race is playing a ridiculously complex and long game appeals to me, and even without magics, dragons are still dragons.

That is my understanding as well.

And also full agreeance. As I am actually planning on starting this game this evening, I will be operating under the assumption that dragons simply don't use magic, hard stop. Yes, its a significant power drop for the much older dragons, but I'm not here for a power game, I want this to be a fun and flavorful one.

As for my original point of the game scaling up and up, with a "zooming out camera" effect ala games like Spore, its also a chance to use some obscure ass dragons. When gambits start taking place in a multiverse scale and you are competing against Adamantine, Athasian, and Infernal dragons all at once, I think it can have a real wow effect, especially considering how miniscule the early gambits of trying to take over the slums of a city will feel by comparison. Its a nice "how far we've come" effect, I think.