PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Boots of Striding and Springing

ZenBear
2018-10-13, 10:27 PM
In our last session my party began their delve into Wave Echo Cave, and right away they found the titular boots. As expected, Tortuga the Tiefling Luchador Rogue was selected by unanimous vote by the party to wear them, to aid in his propensity for flying tackles. My question is how exactly jumping interacts with movement limits, Dashing, and Cunning Action.

Tortuga’s STR is 14, so a running long jump normally nets him 14 ft beyond his 10 ft running start, leaving him another 6 ft of movement after landing (or to be applied vertically?). With the boots, he can now travel 42 ft by running long jump, or 21 standing. With his speed limited to 30 ft, he only benefits from an extra 6 ft horizontally on a normal jump, which is pretty lame for a magic item IMO.

If he uses his Action to Dash, does he get to increase his movement limit to 60 ft for the purposes of jumping? Can he use his Cunning Action to Dash, run 10 ft and execute a 42 ft long jump, then use his Action to attack or grapple? Could he use both his Cunning Action and Standard Action to Dash and leap twice to cover 90 ft in one turn?

Tanarii
2018-10-13, 10:41 PM
It uses your remaining movement. The magic item is very specific. But yes, you can Dash for 60ft of movement to get your 10ft run up and 42ft jump.

IMO the major in-combat benefit/use of jumping, which usually means you don't want to (or can't afford to) use the Dash action for non-Rogues, is a standing jump. And this magic item triples that distance. That's nothing to sneeze at, especially when you're already in or right next to difficult or hazardous terrain. Rogues have more leeway because of Cunning Action, but even so you'll not always have the 10ft of room needed for a long jump.

ZenBear
2018-10-14, 08:20 PM
It uses your remaining movement. The magic item is very specific.

I assume by this you are referring to the bold section of the item description?

While you wear these boots, your walking speed becomes 30 feet, unless your walking speed is higher, and your speed isn't reduced if you are encumbered or wearing Heavy Armor. In addition, you can jump three times the normal distance, though you can't jump farther than your remaining Movement would allow.

The way you phrased your response sounds like you're saying a jump ends your movement upon landing, which I don't think is true or necessarily what you meant. He should be able to make a 10 ft running start and leap 42 ft, Cunning Action Dash to increase his speed to 60, land with 8 ft left of movement, Dash as his Standard Action increasing his speed to 90, run 10 ft and leap again the remaining 28 ft?

Tanarii
2018-10-14, 10:03 PM
The way you phrased your response sounds like you're saying a jump ends your movement upon landing, which I don't think is true or necessarily what you meant.Definitely didn't mean that.

He should be able to make a 10 ft running start and leap 42 ft, Cunning Action Dash to increase his speed to 60, land with 8 ft left of movement, Dash as his Standard Action increasing his speed to 90, run 10 ft and leap again the remaining 28 ft?
Looks good to me.