PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Trickster Creation Continued

ClockworkPlayer
2018-10-14, 11:35 AM
In a previous thread I asked for advice on making an arcane trickster(link here http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?569996-Rouge-First-Time-Arcane-Trickster) for the first time now I've optimised it using the advice given to me

Name Eleronix Senerain

Race - High Elf: the first change is to go with High Elf as the DEX and Int boost is pretty good and the extra cantrip also helps and later on the feat Elven Accuracy is really good thanks to the Dex or Int boost + other additions. The extra addition of dark-vision and perception is also really nice for a Rogue I rally don't know why I didn't pick Elf before other than not liking the aloofness they're known for. The extra language choice is Dravish as it is useful to talk to on of the most common races.

LV 3

Proficiencies - Stealth: What Rogue doesn't have it. It is also on expertise because it should be.
Acrobatics: Jumping around can do a lot in dnd.
Deception: Lying is also useful and I will go more into this in the character section.
Sleight of Hand: The Arcane Tricksters speciality stealing with magic from money, to important items, to the enemies weapons before they draw them. It is also in expertise because it's fun to take weapons in stealth before they notice.

Ability Scores: Dex > Con > Int > Cha > Wis > Str

Spells- Booming Blade: The main attack of the Arcane Trickster thunder damage if they dodge and increased power upon level up.
Mage Hand: As explained in the Sleight of Hand part.
Minor Illusion: The most fun cantrip in the game tricking enemies can do a lot from distraction to delay and it is likely to succeed with the good charisma and deception proficiency.
Fire-Bolt: The race spell a good ranged spell with consistent damage and fire is the best damage type in the game.
Absorb Elements: A good anti-magic defensive spell that takes away damage and gives an attack boost
Disguise Self: As a Rogue this is the type of stealth the good charisma and deception also keeps it up.
Find Familiar: The best way to scout they're replaceable and can act as good symbolism for your character.

Character: I've also decided to make a noble for the first time. As the youngest of the noble Sennerain family at 113 (About a young adult in Elf years) he decided to go out and save the world because of the story. In his childhood his parents would teach him in combat, magic, and politics. He would also constantly sneak out of the house somehow getting past even the best security. He has the aloofness and calm nature you'd expect from an Elf and Noble but is generally a nice person ho will do what he can to help others, he is also really academic from his study of magic getting into as much excitement as an aloof Elf can get when meeting a well known scholar or researcher.

Equipment- 2 short-swords: The more consistent high damage and the Elf backstory fit this character the best.
Longbow: If the short-sword is a melee attack and Fire-bolt is a ranged attack the long-bow is really long ranged good for big battlefields or if the party and the other allies need more ranged support

Future- The 2 Feats I would go for are Elven Accuracy thanks to the Dex or Int boost plus the reroll if advantage fails, and War Caster is genneraly good for any spell casters. The rest is on Ability score improvements

Thanks for reading this and if there is anything I could do better please tell me.

ZenBear
2018-10-14, 12:57 PM
Good stuff! A few comments to make:

Firebolt isn’t necessary, as not only will you not get Sneak Attack but neither will you add your ability modifier to damage. I would dump it in favor of a utility spell like Mending for broken arrows or Prestidigitation for miscellaneous fun.

You only get one spell outside of the Enchantment and Illusion schools at 3rd level, so you can’t take both Absorb Elements and Find Familiar. Dump AE because you will eventually get Evasion for essentially the same effect minus the damage boost. Silent Image is always useful, especially in conjunction with Minor Illusion sound effects, or Tasha’s Hideous Laughter for excellent single target CC.

Finally, I would suggest having a rapier as your primary weapon. When using Booming Blade you are taking the Cast a Spell action, so you won’t be able to make a bonus action attack with your offhand anyway, and you won’t want to either since you can disengage with Cunning Action, thereby forcing your target to either chase you and take extra damage from BB or attack another target. It also fits with the Noble background as being trained in fencing.

fert1g
2018-10-14, 03:35 PM
My general advice would be to ensure that you have a starting dexterity of seventeen if you are taking Elven Accuracy and to get Haste as soon as possible so that you can attack with Booming Blade as your regular action and ready a second attack with the Haste action, allowing you to sneak attack twice per round (assuming both attacks hit). Also, Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade won't work with dualwielding (I'd link the Sage Advice but I haven't posted enough yet) so I'd advise using a rapier instead of shortswords if you plan to use those cantrips. I might also recommend a two level dip into wizard after first level for the Bladesinging tradition, although this will delay Haste. Alternatively, you could go for a five (for Haste) or six level dip (for Extra Attack) into wizard but that'll cost you sneak attack die in the long run so I wouldn't recommend that if you reckon your campaign will go on to very high levels. Also, Blur is a fantastic spell (and band).