View Full Version : looking for a template for (homebrew) spells

Maelynn
2018-10-14, 12:39 PM
I have a template for monsters, to make homebrew and/or slightly adapted monsters look just like an entry from the official books. I would like the same thing for spells, so that I can homebrew and/or slightly adjust spells and then print them as though they came straight out of the official books.

Strangely enough, though, I can't find any. For some weird reason a 'spell template' is something used for radius and area of effect, and all I can find on fillable files is either the char sheet page or spell cards for easy reference.

So I'll just ask here. Does anyone have, or know where I can find, a template that allows me to create spell descriptions that look just like those in the books?

TheMoxiousOne
2018-10-14, 12:40 PM
Commenting for notifications; interested in acquiring a template, as well!

Maelynn
2018-10-15, 03:59 PM
I find it hard to believe there's no such template.

Surely there is some way to make a homebrew spell look as though it came from the book?

Kane0
2018-10-15, 04:22 PM
I do believe this (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/)site is a common one people use to make their 'brew look all official-like.

Maelynn
2018-10-15, 04:48 PM
I do believe this (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/)site is a common one people use to make their 'brew look all official-like.

Thanks, I had taken a look there, but it seems as though it's mostly for pages like class descriptions. Not a page like the spell list - unless I've just been blind and not looking right, of course.

Basically, what I would like is to be able to make a page like this (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/96/ab/39/96ab39607b73af008ff41198ebb2271d.jpg). It shows homebrew spells as though they come straight from the book. How did the maker go about creating this? Is this perhaps not a template, but merely a set of fonts and a colour guide? Because that's fine too, if anyone could provide that information.

I just want to give my player a few homebrew spells/formulas that look the part, to make it feel a bit more genuine.

Kane0
2018-10-15, 05:17 PM
Yeah Homebrewery can do that, it's just a matter of formatting. All the options should be there in the template, just use the smaller sub-heading type fonts and take out the parts you don't need.

It looks a lot more complicated than it is, it's not that different from the way these forum posts work.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-10-15, 08:17 PM
Just use official spells as your template.

Is there anything you have in mind?

Maelynn
2018-10-17, 05:31 PM
All the options should be there in the template, just use the smaller sub-heading type fonts

Oh, that was quite sneaky - in the example pages, they didn't include the #### option (which is the small header without a line underneath, exactly the one that is used for spell names). I found it only because I wondered why there were only headers with 1, 2, 3, or 5 hashtags and none with 4. This is great, now I can get somewhere. Thanks!

Is there anything you have in mind?

Well, one of my players is an Alchemist (the Dawnforgedcast version) and I want to give him a new formula (spell). It will be a slightly adapted version of Augury, which I'd like to rewrite in such a way that the wording fits his class and the way he can use his spells.