PDA

View Full Version : TWFing crossbows?

...Eh?
2007-09-17, 06:13 PM
I was thinking about a crossbow build, when it occured to me that crossbows were dual-weildable. However, it would only be useable with Rapid Reload, Oversized TWF, and even then, you'd be taking a -4 penalty. So, my question is, is there any kind of build that makes using a pair of crossbows effecient?

Thomix
2007-09-17, 06:17 PM
Hand crossbow+TWF+rapid reload

But even then, you need a free hand to reload...

so 8 Hand crossbows+quick draw+TWF, ITWF, GTWF, PTWF...

arkol
2007-09-17, 06:19 PM
Ninja'ed....

You probably want crossbow sniper...

and if you dual wield hand crossbows you can fire both at the same time with only the same penaltys as usual TWF...

However even when loading is a free action (as it is when you have rapid reload and hand/light crossbows) you still need a free hand to reload....

So you might need to use repeaters instead and just live with the fact that you have to stop to reload the magazine every round or so....

But question... if you do this could you fire 4 shots with rapid shot?

EDIT: it's actually a bit strange that it's actually faster to drop the crossbows you have and get new ones from your belt then reloading the ones you have... My best advice is: talk to your DM. I'm sure he'll houserule something that allows you to dual wield pistols.. I mean hand crossbows in a more efficient way...

Raolin_Fenix
2007-09-17, 07:08 PM
EDIT: it's actually a bit strange that it's actually faster to drop the crossbows you have and get new ones from your belt then reloading the ones you have... My best advice is: talk to your DM. I'm sure he'll houserule something that allows you to dual wield pistols.. I mean hand crossbows in a more efficient way...

Repeating crossbows. I'm sure a repeating hand crossbow could be worked out, for merely money.

arkol
2007-09-17, 07:14 PM
You still lose a lot of time when the magazine is empty to reload it....

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-09-17, 07:17 PM
could you put a returning feature on the crossbow itself, so it returns to your hand at the end of the turn? not sure if this would help seeing as it would still be unloaded.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-09-17, 07:20 PM
I think there is a +2 weapon bonus in Magic of Faerun that allows you to have an extradimentional ammo space for crossbows, thus allowing them to autoreload.

Kyeudo
2007-09-17, 07:27 PM
Just carry alot of Hand crossbows, already loaded, or Repeating Hand crossbows if you can convince your DM to let you have one. Simply drop when empty, and quick draw another.

LordMalrog
2007-09-17, 07:30 PM
One of my Halfling rouges has an ice chucker *large 1d12 damage crossbow* in his gauntlet of holding, that works like a quick draw, and he flies back and holds it up with his legs. We've initialized it leaves him prone but allows him to use the massive thing without penalty and may even catch enemys flat footed. (the thing can shoot bloody javalines!!!)

Zim
2007-09-17, 07:34 PM
Quickloading is a +1 bonus from MIC. Combine that with TWF and crossbow feats and you're golden.

Rowanomicon
2007-09-17, 07:36 PM
See if you can get your DM to house rule that your hand crossbows shoot brilliant energy bolts that that materialize in the crossbow ready to shoot as a free action.
Whee... laser pistols.

Person_Man
2007-09-17, 11:35 PM
I think this thread comes up pretty often. For example, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55735&highlight=crossbow), here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55325&highlight=crossbow), here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30994&highlight=crossbow), or here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18901&highlight=crossbow).

Cogwheel
2007-09-17, 11:51 PM
hmm... how about an insectile Xill (or a regular Thri-kreen) that uses repeaters in half of its hands, and uses the others to reload? Insta-pincushion... now just add the explosive property for added fun:smallbiggrin:.

tsuyoshikentsu
2007-09-17, 11:52 PM
Go watch The Boondock Saints. You'll understand what I mean after.

Merlon
2007-09-18, 04:28 AM
Hm...

You need more than two arm to pull that off. Either a 3-or-more-armed race or a pair of mechanical arms from Magic of Eberron.

You could also enchant those crossbows. Then they would reload automatically. Various Mage's Hands spell should be able to pull it off(Though i am not sure which one. Helping Hand, maybe?). And switch clips as well. Use you're imagination

I didn't said that they would be cheap :smallsmile:

Vilehelm
2007-09-18, 04:46 AM
Hmm, remind me to make a thri-kreen gladiator wielding two hand crossbows in the arena ... that'll give the PC gladiators a surprise!

The Prince of Cats
2007-09-18, 05:24 AM
Well, looking at history, we see that pirates (are said to have) used this technique with pistols. You could not really reload a flint-lock pistol in the middle of a fight, so you just used them and then dropped them to draw another.

Shatenjager
2007-09-18, 02:31 PM
Couldn't a Thri-Keen use 3 Hand crossbows? After all you only need one hand to reload them.

Another thing I've seen used was the Leadership feat. Why the Leadership feat? Take cohorts with sleight of hand who recover your dropped crossbows, reload them and sleight of hand them back onto you.