PDA

View Full Version : Optimising a Goliath Tempest Cleric build

FrankyMagic
2018-10-14, 07:15 PM
Hi folks, I’m new around these parts. Hoping some of you could help me optimise my Goliath Tempest Cleric.

So we’re about to hit level 4 and I’ve decided to pick up Magic Initiate for Shocking Grasp, Booming Blade (Or another Wizard cantrip) and Find Familiar (My DM has allowed me to use a rebranded Hawk as a Seagull Familiar to match my Sailor background)

My current stats are at level 3
STR:16 DEX:12 CON:14 WIS:14 INT:10 CHA:10
HP: 24 AC: 18 (Chainmail & Shield)
Current Weapons: Mace & Shortsword
Cantrips, Thaumaturgy, Sacred Flame, Guidance.
1st Spells, Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Bless
2nd Spells: Spiritual Weapon

I was curious to know what I should focus on to get the best out of this current build, I quite like the Mace and Shield feel to it however, I’ve not played a full on Cleric before so any advice on where to go from here would be great. I know my next focus is to pick up Hold Person and the Light cantrip on Level 4 (due to a lot of our enemies have a bad habit of running away) and Light is pretty self explanatory. So I’m guessing after that I should focus my ASI into Wisdom and go with more ranged like spells or is there anything else to shift my focus on? I’m hoping to make this character more like an armoured ambulance type character if that makes sense. Also I had a fun idea of multi classing into a Shepherd Druid but I wasn’t sure how well that would synergise with Tempest Cleric and I’ve read that Tempest Clerics doesn’t really need to multi class which would be a nice change for me since pretty much all my current characters I’ve played have multiclassed so yeah. 😁

Also small note I know it’s normally highly recommended to also pick up the War Caster Feat, but I would prefer not to as I kinda like being different than most spell casters and just makes things a bit more challenging in our small group.

Speaking of which our group consists of a Barbarian, Ranger and a Monk. We also just had a new person join in but not quite figured out class she is yet. 😁

Many thanks in advance.

Beckett
2018-10-14, 08:27 PM
Honestly, assuming a shield Holy Symbol emblem, I haven't really found War Caster that great. For us, OA's are very rare, and the Concentration check is nice, but not too common.

I've never played a Tempest Cleric, but I would think they have enough range, so would instead look at melee and/or defense.

Elemental Adept Lightning and/or Thunder, Heavy Armor Master, Shield Master, or Tough might be worth a look, depending on what you want to really focus on.

Elemental for better spell damage, Heavy Armor and Tough for survivability, or Shield Master for a bit of tactical fun.

In my limitrd 5E Cleric experience, they do best on or near the front lines, (except maybe Light Domain), where they can heal easily, buff, and help in combat. You still have range via Sacred Flame, Guiding Bolt, and later Call Lightning. Might consider Command to stop fleeing enemies, (Approach, Grovel, or Halt), as well as some general utility options. I get a lot of milage from it.

Silence can be great against enemy casters (or healers), but negates your Thunder Damage. Use with caution.

CTurbo
2018-10-14, 11:56 PM
Clerics are great in 5e and Tempest is possibly the best one. I would use the next 2 if not 3 ASIs on bumping Wisdom though as a Cleric with 14 Wis is not going to be a very good Cleric at all.