PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Resources for towns, nations, guilds, wars, etc.

RealMarkP
2018-10-14, 09:03 PM
The next campaign I DM will see my players play the puppet masters behind a major war between nations. The war is the end goal and most of the campaign will be setting up the stage for the eventual conflict. The characters will need to interact with multiple factions, people, nations, guilds, etc. all while trying to evade the authorities. Oh, did I mention the characters are evil?

Since I have a job and a life (shocking, I know), I want to grab as much premade stuff as is possible and cobble together a nation, full of towns, various types of organizations, a nobility hierarchy, and all sort of social ebbs and flows. I don't know if a setting exists that sports this much detail, but if one does, please let me know. I know of only a few books that showcase a single city or small part of a nation (eg. Ptolus, Absalom, etc). Are there books on guilds? Cults? The inner workings of churches? Or a city with a well defined nobility/royalty?

The D&D edition doesn't really matter. The setting is mainly fantasy. Anything along those lines works.

Thanks in advance.

Thinker
2018-10-15, 07:32 AM
Check this out: http://qzil.com/kingdom/

It can help you to figure out the demographics for your kingdom. You still need the factions, guilds, etc., but it can get you started if you care about the number of cities, castles, etc.

AmberVael
2018-10-15, 08:56 AM
You may want to check out the publisher Raging Swan Press. Raging Swan puts out a lot of material targeted at GMs, in particular a line called Village Backdrops which is a series of premade villages designed to be dropped into existing worlds and games as needed.

I also know of a book called Ultimate Factions by Legendary Games. Might help with guilds and such?

RealMarkP
2018-10-15, 12:36 PM
Harn seems like it's heavily detailed. But it's also a very low magic setting that might not work well with the high magic feel of 5e. Has anyone used Harn in their D&D games?