PDA

View Full Version : Roy the Unrezzable?

Kodra
2007-09-17, 06:29 PM
Did anyone else take today's exchange to mean that Roy can not be resurrected until the blood oath is complete?

That's how it read to me, which would make me a sad panda.

holywhippet
2007-09-17, 06:36 PM
Did anyone else take today's exchange to mean that Roy can not be resurrected until the blood oath is complete?

I'm not sure, from previous conversations (in 'On the Origin of PCs') it's clear that Eugene has been raised at least once already. When he tells Roy that he's dying, Roy assumes that one of his cleric friend will just raise him again.

However, the way Eugene is talking, he clearly doesn't expect Roy to be raised. Possibly this is just wishful thinking, he might be hoping that Julia will take over since he considers her to be a better bet.

Green Bean
2007-09-17, 06:52 PM

Nah. The oath just means they can't proceed into the afterlife (well, the real afterlife; right now they're in a Celestial waiting room). The only reason it would fail is if somehow Roy wanted to spend more time with his father. And we all know how likely that is.

Triaxx
2007-09-17, 07:00 PM
Perhaps it's only because his father died of old age.

Personally, I think it's just for the comedic effect of 'Feather Fall'.

David Argall
2007-09-17, 07:18 PM

It seems unlikely. Eugene got raised several times, and aparently four times after taking the Oath. So it is even less less to block Roy from coming back.

RAGE KING!
2007-09-17, 09:16 PM
I'm not sure, from previous conversations (in 'On the Origin of PCs') it's clear that Eugene has been raised at least once already. When he tells Roy that he's dying, Roy assumes that one of his cleric friend will just raise him again.

However, the way Eugene is talking, he clearly doesn't expect Roy to be raised. Possibly this is just wishful thinking, he might be hoping that Julia will take over since he considers her to be a better bet.

THANK YOU FOR A HUGE ASS SPOILER SHOVED IN MY FACE WITH NO WARNING!

$uicidal $qurl
2007-09-17, 09:28 PM

NOt how I would put it, but I agree

now I want to know what happened in that book :smallannoyed:

Roderick_BR
2007-09-17, 10:40 PM
Eugene being raised (like any other PC would) is a spoiler? :smallconfused:

Spiky
2007-09-17, 10:41 PM
Buy it. Seriously, just buy it.

But back on topic, doesn't it seem like Eugene really can't come back just because....he has no friends/family left who would want to Resurrect him? Roy, on the other hand......

Dr. Magic
2007-09-17, 10:52 PM
Eugene being raised (like any other PC would) is a spoiler? :smallconfused:

I think they're slightly overreacting to the inadvertent spoiling of a small portion print-only book that's been available for well over a year now.

If you haven't bought the books yet, stop buying other stuff (D&D supplies, video games, adult materials, food, clothing) and BUY THE BOOKS.

David Argall
2007-09-17, 11:45 PM
I'd say Eugene's deriding of Roy's chance of revival is just conversation. Eugene is in the mood to dig at Roy, and so he downplays Roy's chance of being raised. It is doubtful Eugene knows anything we don't.
Of course, we know that the party may have unexpected difficulties in getting back together...

Querzis
2007-09-18, 12:45 AM
But back on topic, doesn't it seem like Eugene really can't come back just because....he has no friends/family left who would want to Resurrect him? Roy, on the other hand......

No Eugene cant come back because he died of old age and you cant be resurected after that. But yeah, as it has been said, Eugene was already resurected after he began his blood oath so no, Roy can be rez. Eugene just hope it doesnt happen (not only because he want Julia to do it but probably also because its really boring on those clouds so he want Roy to stay to have fun at his expense.)

Terbovus
2007-09-18, 01:17 AM
I think its more to do with Eugene's utter lack of faith that Roy might be able to organise his own resurrection, or a team able to do it, particularly as he (Eugene) has complete disdain for non-magic users. I expect Roy to get Rezzed as soon as his mangled corpse and :durkon: get near each other - :haley: must surely have the gems needed in her remaining sack of loot.

Slight spoiler (can't find how to do the spoiler pop up thingy) but I loved the other gravestones near to Eugene's towards the end of OTOOPCs - the unlucky guy's one was the best illustration I've seen of the complications created by resurrection. Talking of which I've just added a resurrection mod to the computer RPG Oblivion - its lots of fun! :thog:

Welcome back Giant - we missed you!

TheAlmightyOne
2007-09-18, 02:51 PM

You're right! Eugene is dead and hasn't been rezzed! I never noticed that. Seriously it wasn't much of a spoiler seeing as it didn't give anything away.

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-09-19, 08:57 PM
I think its more to do with Eugene's utter lack of faith that Roy might be able to organise his own resurrection, or a team able to do it, particularly as he (Eugene) has complete disdain for non-magic users. I expect Roy to get Rezzed as soon as his mangled corpse and :durkon: get near each other - :haley: must surely have the gems needed in her remaining sack of loot.

Slight spoiler (can't find how to do the spoiler pop up thingy) but I loved the other gravestones near to Eugene's towards the end of OTOOPCs - the unlucky guy's one was the best illustration I've seen of the complications created by resurrection. Talking of which I've just added a resurrection mod to the computer RPG Oblivion - its lots of fun! :thog:

You can do spoilers like this [ spoiler]Spoiler text here.[ /spoiler]

Just leave out the spaces in between the [] and you'll get this:
You can do spoilers like this Spoiler text here.

Khanderas
2007-09-21, 05:06 AM
Roy's dad problebly thinks its not likly Roy will be ressed, since he is only a fighter, a meatshield, sword for hire, that is not really needed for epic adventure. In the case a meatshield is needed, summon a monster or hire some lackwit in a village for a handful of coppers.

deworde
2007-09-21, 08:01 AM

Agreed. Actually, wait, most of the loot got blown to scrap (although I don't think that the explosion would destroy gold and gems, so I wonder where they ended up), so maybe that'll be their next side-quest.
Oh, and if you quote this message, you'll see how to do spoilers.