PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help building character based on "Travelling Chef" idea

Rivaler
2018-10-15, 06:56 AM
Hi everyone! First time posting, so I hope I'm not in the wrong section or anything like that!

I'm in the process of creating a new character for the next campaign I'm going to be playing in. Since I played a paladin / warlock character in the last one, more pointed towards combat and "making sure I wouldn't hinder my group", this time around I'd rather play a more roleplay-leaning character. As an inspiration, I settled on the idea with being a travelling cook, out there to find the ultimate flavor! Thing is, I'm still not too familiar with all of 5e's classes and as such I'm having a bit of a difficulty choosing the build for this character.

To build around this concept, I'd like to make a character that is stealthy ( as a chef wouldn't be a trained fighter in the first place, so he'd avoid combat as much as possible ) and focuses on support, maybe with the occasional crossbow sneak strike. I was thinking of taking the stout halfing race (fits the theme as a race, and has food resistance, just in case he eats something not 100% edible :P) and 3 levels of rogue and get the Mastermind subclass for the remote help action, but after that I'm a little clueless as to how to proceed to add the support and ranged prowess to my class.

I though about multiclassing with bard, for it's support abilities, but in a turn I can either cast bardic inspiration OR the long range help action if I'm not mistaken, so that may overlap a bit. Also, ranged strikes would, I guess, be negligible later on, even if in stealth.

I'm here asking for any kind of suggestion to make this work in a fun way. I'm not interested in the slightest in power gaming or super optimal builds, but on the other hand I don't want to hinder my party (too much) either :P Also, any other class suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Additional info: I'll be playing alongside a warlock / sorcerer and a paladin / warlock (reason why I'd like mastermind's help action), so I'd also like not to overlap too much with their roles if at all possible.

Thanks in advance! Any help is greatly appreciated!

CTurbo
2018-10-15, 08:42 AM
There isn't hardly any support for JUST a chef in 5e, but I think a combat Medic/Chef build could work.

Stout Halfling or Dwarf would work best probably. Ask your DM about homebrewing a Cooking background.

You need-

Cooking Utensils
Gourmand feat
Medic feat
Healer feat

For added bonus, proficiency in the Poisoners kit and Alchemists kit would be very flavorful.

You would probably be mostly Rogue(Mastermind or Thief), but I can see taking some Ranger levels for the ability to find food. You would keep the team fed, healed, and craft poison and healing potions too.

Archery Fighting Style from Ranger and use a Crossbow or Longbow.

Rivaler
2018-10-15, 09:01 AM
There isn't hardly any support for JUST a chef in 5e, but I think a combat Medic/Chef build could work.

Stout Halfling or Dwarf would work best probably. Ask your DM about homebrewing a Cooking background.

You need-

Cooking Utensils
Gourmand feat
Medic feat
Healer feat

For added bonus, proficiency in the Poisoners kit and Alchemists kit would be very flavorful.

You would probably be mostly Rogue(Mastermind or Thief), but I can see taking some Ranger levels for the ability to find food. You would keep the team fed, healed, and craft poison and healing potions too.

Archery Fighting Style from Ranger and use a Crossbow or Longbow.

This is some sound advice! I'm not sure if I can take the gourmand feat, unfortunately, as I play in the adventurers league. From what I can tell that feats is in the unearthed arcana, and I'm not sure I can take it's rules to the game. Still, it's a try and some begging to the GM, along with a custom background :P

Also yes, the ranger fits more than decently in the whole, as hunting for fresh food is something that a traveling cook might definitely do!

xyianth
2018-10-15, 09:34 AM
I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but one of the ideas I have been messing around with in an unconventional fighting method for a traveling chef character. The idea is to take 7 levels as an eldritch knight (or 14 as a valor bard) to get the ability to cast a spell as an action and make a weapon attack as a bonus action. This allows you to throw a net as a bonus action and the create a bonfire to 'cook' them. Unfortunately, I don't know if this works in AL or not. (I don't play in AL) One of the designers (JC maybe?) did make a ruling that you can't bonus action attack until after you cast a spell, and that ruins this technique. Personally, I think that is a dumb ruling in a game where you can move between attacks freely. Even if you can't pull off this combo, I would look into using nets as a support type character, they don't deal damage but they are an easy source of restrain which your allies will love you for.

Another thing to consider is either celestial warlock or the inspiring leader feat. The ability to give temp hp to your whole team every rest is easily fluffed as you cooking a nutritious meal for everyone.

Rivaler
2018-10-15, 10:23 AM
I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but one of the ideas I have been messing around with in an unconventional fighting method for a traveling chef character. The idea is to take 7 levels as an eldritch knight (or 14 as a valor bard) to get the ability to cast a spell as an action and make a weapon attack as a bonus action. This allows you to throw a net as a bonus action and the create a bonfire to 'cook' them. Unfortunately, I don't know if this works in AL or not. (I don't play in AL) One of the designers (JC maybe?) did make a ruling that you can't bonus action attack until after you cast a spell, and that ruins this technique. Personally, I think that is a dumb ruling in a game where you can move between attacks freely. Even if you can't pull off this combo, I would look into using nets as a support type character, they don't deal damage but they are an easy source of restrain which your allies will love you for.

Another thing to consider is either celestial warlock or the inspiring leader feat. The ability to give temp hp to your whole team every rest is easily fluffed as you cooking a nutritious meal for everyone.

I love the idea, actually! I went and read that net attacks, which I never thought of, are always at disadvantage unless you have the sharpshooter or crossbow expert feat apparently, which leaves me thinking whether I should take the canonical human variant for the extra feat, especially valuable if I take inspiring leader which, as you mentioned, I had the idea of reflavouring to cooking food for everyone. Might be worth it, although having a halfing would be much more in theme.

As for the class, I love the eldrich knight class, but it's something I would avoid with this particular character because of the personality I'd like to give him, but I might investigate on the valor bard idea when possible; seems like a valid choice ( is cooking a form of entertainment? :P). Also, I think I read that it can get Swift Quiver which would probably be nice, combat wise.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

DevilMcam
2018-10-15, 10:35 AM
I might be a bit late to the party but here's my grain of salt.

Ancient paladin :
The idea of beeing a chef works very well with the tenets of the oath.
Take the inspiring leader feat, flavor it as distributing nice food for everyone when you do a short rest (short rest is technically getting something to eat).
use a club as a weapon and fluff it as being a rolling pin.

Ganymede
2018-10-15, 12:34 PM
Here are some cool ideas for inspiration...

A fierce chef of primitive background who can enter a battle rage

An inspiring chef whose power echoes the music of creation

A priestly chef who wields divine magic in service of a higher power

A chef of the Old Faith, wielding the powers of nature and adopting animal forms

A chef of martial combat, skilled with a variety of weapons and armor

A chef of martial arts, harnessing the power of the body in pursuit of physical and spiritual perfection

A holy chef bound to a sacred oath

A chef who combats threats on the edges of civilization

A chef who uses stealth and trickery to overcome obstacles and enemies

A chef who draws on inherent magic from a gift or bloodline

A chef of magic that is derived from a bargain with an extraplanar entity

A scholarly chef capable of manipulating the structures of reality

Rivaler
2018-10-15, 01:51 PM
I might be a bit late to the party but here's my grain of salt.

Ancient paladin :
The idea of beeing a chef works very well with the tenets of the oath.
Take the inspiring leader feat, flavor it as distributing nice food for everyone when you do a short rest (short rest is technically getting something to eat).
use a club as a weapon and fluff it as being a rolling pin.

The idea is cool, yet I fear a bit too much overlapping with the other paladin in the group :P Also, I played my paladin for a while and would honestly like a change of pace :D. Love the rolling pin idea anyway lol.

Here are some cool ideas for inspiration...

A fierce chef of primitive background who can enter a battle rage

An inspiring chef whose power echoes the music of creation

A priestly chef who wields divine magic in service of a higher power

A chef of the Old Faith, wielding the powers of nature and adopting animal forms

A chef of martial combat, skilled with a variety of weapons and armor

A chef of martial arts, harnessing the power of the body in pursuit of physical and spiritual perfection

A holy chef bound to a sacred oath

A chef who combats threats on the edges of civilization

A chef who uses stealth and trickery to overcome obstacles and enemies

A chef who draws on inherent magic from a gift or bloodline

A chef of magic that is derived from a bargain with an extraplanar entity

A scholarly chef capable of manipulating the structures of reality

Thanks for the more general approach. Actually, there's a kind of epic touch to the last one... I wonder if my GM would let me prepare wizard spells by eating power-granting food, rather than memorizing spells :P This would seriosly make a Mario bros build viable!

Dudewithknives
2018-10-15, 01:58 PM
Drunken master monk reflavored (irony) as cooking instead of brewing, and drinking.

I had a thread on this some months back. I even reflavored all the drunken master abilities into cooking abilities. Never even changed any of the mechanics other than going frombrewing supplies to cooking utencils.

CTurbo
2018-10-15, 02:06 PM
I think Knowledge Cleric could fit this theme well. The can use any tool which means Cooking Utensils. Poisoner's kit, Alchemist kit, Herbalist kit,...

They already get a lot of flavorful spells for this and then they get a lot of other spells that could be refluffed as "meal" spells. You would literally cook magical meals.

And then of course there is Hero's Feast which any good D&D chef should know.

Dudewithknives
2018-10-15, 02:24 PM
Found it.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?549833-Ok-I-had-a-funny-monk-idea-Time-to-expand

Rivaler
2018-10-15, 02:36 PM
I think Knowledge Cleric could fit this theme well. The can use any tool which means Cooking Utensils. Poisoner's kit, Alchemist kit, Herbalist kit,...

They already get a lot of flavorful spells for this and then they get a lot of other spells that could be refluffed as "meal" spells. You would literally cook magical meals.

And then of course there is Hero's Feast which any good D&D chef should know.

Lol I might consider this one. Any idea for a deity of cooking? :P

Drunken master monk reflavored (irony) as cooking instead of brewing, and drinking.

I had a thread on this some months back. I even reflavored all the drunken master abilities into cooking abilities. Never even changed any of the mechanics other than going frombrewing supplies to cooking utencils.

This is pretty epic :D Not really a support, but the idea of being some kind of chinese chef could actually be worth it!

Ganymede
2018-10-15, 05:20 PM

A monk that pretends to have the itis or the meat sweats in order to trick his foes?

Lunali
2018-10-15, 09:20 PM
Some spells to consider:
Druidcraft - get fresh herbs and ingredients out of season
Guidance - useful for so many things
Prestidigitation - "You chill, warm, or flavor up to 1 cubic foot of nonliving material for 1 hour." Now that's just cheating.
Produce Flame - skip the campfire, just hold the pot in your hand
Shape Water - ice is nice

Create or Destroy Water - cooks always need water
Detect Poison and Disease - useful for checking ingredients
Purify Food and Drink - for when you want to fix those ingredients

Enhance Ability - like guidance but better
Gentle Repose - keep meat fresh
Locate Animals or Plants - find that rare ingredient

Plant Growth - druidcraft for larger plants or an entire area if you're sticking around