PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Guardians

Kadesh
2018-10-15, 07:57 AM
So, I'd like to try and get the most out of Spirit Guardians on my Half Elf Divine Soul Sorcerer, as that will be its major damage dealer.

I have been given the ability to Concentrate on Two Spells at the same time in place of a feat with the intention of using Telekinesis (ability check vs Save, keep enemy in reach of the Guardians) when I get to 9th.

I am looking at 16 Con/16 Cha, with Warcaster and Dual Focused. Outside of additional party help, what else can I use? Booming Blade and Ray of Frost is obvious, as is Erupting Earth/Command. Any other spells assist with making prone or speed slowing that doesn't take Concentration?

Bonus Points if it can be refluffed as Magetic/Tectonic powered.

Snowbluff
2018-10-15, 08:04 AM
I use Booming Blade + Spirit Guardians on my Cleric/Sorcerer (who has a staff of power, +3 plate, +2 shield, so he's tanky). It's a quite good combination.

I would say do something to improve your AC past the basic sorcerer level. A shield and some medium armor could go a long way for avoiding Con Checks, especially when combined with Absorb Elements and Shield. You could grab 2 levels of fighter for the proficiency as well have action surge to put up 2 concentration spells.

Oh! Don't forget spiritual weapon.

tieren
2018-10-15, 08:19 AM
Lightning lure could yank enemies into your aoe. I suppose thorn whip could too but its probably harder for you to pick up.

Shield master and just knocking things down could be a neat trick, use a lot of their movement getting back up.

Dudewithknives
2018-10-15, 08:24 AM
Lightning lure could yank enemies into your aoe. I suppose thorn whip could too but its probably harder for you to pick up.

Shield master and just knocking things down could be a neat trick, use a lot of their movement getting back up.

We used this a lot in out last campaign, we had a Conquest Paladin and a Lore bard who took spirit guardians in the same group.

Cower everyone in fear to stop movement, bard uses Spirit Guardians and a bow where needed. It worked quite well.

NaughtyTiger
2018-10-15, 08:31 AM
Any chance you can get Plant Growth? or a druid pop it?
1 action, no concentration. 4-1 terrain + SG 1/2 movement = 8-1
you make clear paths (5ft wide path for allies, still impairs large creatures)

otherwise mold earth cantrip? SG halves movement + ME makes it difficult terrain= 4-1 movement.
combine them for (SG 1/2 movement + 4-1 terrain + difficult terrain = 10-1 movement). fire giant dashing gets 1 ft sq.

i really like tieren's shield master (or similar)

Millface
2018-10-15, 09:50 AM
Abilities that keep enemies in place are a staple, and we've covered those, you might also try to pick up Mobile at some point. With half movement, enemies in your face won't be able to escape unless they dash, they'd stop just at the end of your radius. If you're mobile enough to chase them down they won't ever be able to get out of it.

I'd probably argue that, if telekinesis is the only thing you're going to use dual concentration for, Sentinel would probably be better all around. There's no saving throw and it takes no resource to use. You get into the group of enemies, BB one (or two, if you quicken), then if any of them try to dash away you hold them in place with Sentinel. If you can concentrate on ANY two spells, though, for sure take that, that's super powerful.

If you can concentrate on any two spells, depending on terrain and layout of where you're fighting, you can additionally try to set it up so that moving out of SG is also nasty for them. This is the point of BB. If you can force them to choose between SG or walking into a fog cloud/wall of fire/wall of ice/cloud kill can be really effective. Sleet Storm is better than Telekinesis against multiple enemies.

Fun group combos include Plant/Spike Growth for keeping enemies there, and Thunderwave/Thorn Whip/Repelling Blast can move enemies toward you. Currently running almost your exact strat, only I'm Scourge Aasimar for Radiant Consumption, and our whole group is focused on that strategy. I start to glow, and the party knows that enemies need to be where I am. I know you said "Outside of party help" but this build is an absolute monster if everyone's in on it. You can cause enemies to use a staggering amount of their action economy trying to get away from you if the whole party is focused on pushing them back/knocking them prone/hindering their forward progress in any way they can. At that point, even if they do get out of it they spent so much resource to do so that it's generally worth the damage trade-off.

BoxANT
2018-10-15, 10:10 AM
Two concentrations?

Spirit Guardians and Blur

add in Spiritual Weapon

and pop off some Word of Radiance for added AOE

also, have Shield ready

Corran
2018-10-15, 07:18 PM
So, I'd like to try and get the most out of Spirit Guardians on my Half Elf Divine Soul Sorcerer, as that will be its major damage dealer.

I have been given the ability to Concentrate on Two Spells at the same time in place of a feat with the intention of using Telekinesis (ability check vs Save, keep enemy in reach of the Guardians) when I get to 9th.

I am looking at 16 Con/16 Cha, with Warcaster and Dual Focused. Outside of additional party help, what else can I use? Booming Blade and Ray of Frost is obvious, as is Erupting Earth/Command. Any other spells assist with making prone or speed slowing that doesn't take Concentration?

To make spirit guardians an effective use of a action and a spell slot, you need to ensure you catch many enemies in its radius. So you need to be in melee, or at least very close to melee and behind an extensive and sticky frontline (but that last one is a bit sketchy since the SG radius is relatively small ;15 feet). Meaning, that if you were to affect only one or two enemies with it, it might be better to use different spells. One might say that SG could potentially act as some sort of defensive spell, in a sense that it might make enemies think twice before engaging you in melee (and that opinion would get some value out of the fact that you can use more than one concentration spell at the same time, though you still need to use an action and resources to activate it; so it may lower the opportunity cost in term of concentration, but there is still opportunity cost, and IMO it is too high if your plan is to use SG as an extremely soft and lacking defensive spell), but I don't buy it.

So, there are two extremes you have to consider carefully before using SG, and these extremes are in regard to how enemies react to it. They can either flee you SG area and try to focus on your allies (which would be a problem if you were a tank), or they can choose to focus on the the moving ''fireball'' which is you. And being a sorcerer, you can be sure that this is what non-stupid enemies will do.

So, before investing in ways to ensure how you will make enough enemies to stick inside your SG radius, you need to invest a bit in your own defenses. You can do that in many ways, but given how you are using a houserule that allows concentrating on two spells simultaneously, I would say that taking two fighter levels would be the best way to go about it.

Think about how useful action surge can be, if you can use two concentration spells in the same round. You can pull off some tricks that would otherwise need two separate spellcasters and cooperating initiative (or to ready an action; though this has some weaknesses) to do so. Cloudkill/stinking cloud & a wall spell is the combo that comes to mind (or just wall of fire inside a wall of stone, alternatively; fear + web is another one off thetop of my head), but I am pretty sure you will find many other ways to exploit action surge with the concentration houserule. All while two fighter levels make you a bit more tanky so that you can use spirit guardians a little more effectively. But the big thing here is how useful action surge can become when you can drop two concentration spells in the same round.

Citan
2018-10-16, 06:53 AM

Well, if you really can concentrate on two spells at a time, basically anything that hampers enemy movement or ability to harm you would be great.

I'd put my coin on Slow or Web personally. Other decent contenders could be...
- Wall of Fire / Stone (encircle yourself with enemies, but beware to not lose concentration!),
- Shield of Faith (simply to help keeping SG up),
- Bless (always useful),
- Greater Invisibility (offense and defense both boosted even if obviously enemies know your exact position),
- Bigby's Hand (bonus action to grapple/move around can be good to ensure the most dangerous enemy keeps in)...
- Enlarge/Reduce (so you can Shove enemies prone or Grapple them inside the area)
After that, round per round, Lightning Lure / Repelling or Lethargy +Grasping Blast (Warlock 2) / Thorns Whip (Warlock 3 / Lore Bard 6) / Command (Divine Soul) / Earth Tremor (Sorcerer) will help you keep them inside the area.

For your particular build, I'd strongly suggest both Quicken AND Twin (which is rare from me as both as kinda expensive ^^) at least if you go the Tome Warlock way. Which is imo the best way to go as soon as you got your second feat if you *really* wanna maximize your efficiency.

Being able to pull up to 3 creatures with Quickened + Twinned Thorns Whip is great. :)
As well as completely locking a creature with Ray of Frost (-10 feet speed) + Quickened Lethary Grasping Blast (so you pull up the creature close to you, and reduce its speed by 20 feet).

tieren
2018-10-16, 09:31 AM
I was thinking about this with the enlarge spell.

if a medium caster becomes a large caster and now occupies 4 squares does it change the size of the spirit guardians field? I mean is it 15 feet from the space(s) the caster occupies or 15 feet from the center of the space(s) he occupies?

strangebloke
2018-10-16, 09:47 AM
I was thinking about this with the enlarge spell.

if a medium caster becomes a large caster and now occupies 4 squares does it change the size of the spirit guardians field? I mean is it 15 feet from the space(s) the caster occupies or 15 feet from the center of the space(s) he occupies?

It's 15 feet from the center of the spaces he occupies.

Note that if he's on a horse, it's actually 15 feet from one of the corners of the mount's square, determined at the start of each round.