PDA

View Full Version : Richard shall live (sort of)

wadledo
2007-09-17, 07:07 PM
I've been trying to create a PC version of Richard from "looking for group", and I'm having some trouble with basically everything, so assistance would be great.

Note: this is Dnd 3.5 with all of the crystal keep stuff available.

Info:
Richard
An undead Warlock who needs only the slightest provocation to sow destruction, Richard is the most blatantly evil person one could ever hope to avoid meeting. He excels at manipulating others, and is oversensitive about his less-than-threatening name - when Cale called him "****" he blasted him into a pile of ash. He has a vast command of the black arts; a wicked sense of humor; and a troubled history with orphanages, claiming that the orphanage attacked him first and that he only destroyed it in self-defense. He also claims to have murdered his father. His titles include Chief Warlock of the Brothers of Darkness, Lord of the Thirteen Hells, Master of the Bones, Emperor of the Black, Lord of the Undead, and mayor of a little village up the coast which he describes as "quite scenic in spring". He also seems to have a certain contempt for authority. Due to the fact he is undead, Richard can sustain and even shrug off severe injuries, such as fireball through the stomach or a dagger to the heart. Richard claims to be traveling with Cale out of sheer boredom, and because watching Cale perform evil acts and agonize over them delights the warlock. He apparently used to have a companion, an imp named Hctib Elttil (Little Bitch spelled backwards, as Richard claims, described its place in their relationship), but it ran away. He also seems to have a taste for babies, although this could simply be a twisted joke. He was revealed to have advanced hand-to-hand fighting skills as well, easily taking out several trolls within seconds, accrediting them to having once drained the soul of a monk, saying it 'tasted like chocolate'.[4] Richard seems to have as much, if not, more control over Cale's companion pet, Sooba (which he summoned with a fork in his hand that at one point he claimed to be the "Fork of Truth") as Cale himself does. Richard falls into a catatonic state after overly strenuous battles. This form of hibernation is apparently designed to help him recuperate, but he still manages to kill things in his sleep. He seems to have an affinity with dragons, examples of which was when he turned a dragon of the legion into ice which fell and smashed to pieces (which prompted Richard to quip "It's a pity we don't have more time. It's fun trying to put them back together again) and turning a sand dragon into glass and saying, "Look what I made!". Though it would seem that Richard's only goal in life is to sow death and destruction wherever he goes, the warlock's true motives are known only to him. Some speculate that he is a killing machine and nothing more. Others believe that he's really just lonely and craves attention. Although able to use many elements and spells, it is clear that fire is his weapon of choice, with ice as his secondary weapon, and necromancy and lightning tied for third most used.
Wikipedia

Good example of the character (also very funny):smallbiggrin: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcbazH6aE2g&eurl=)

thanks in advance

SurlySeraph
2007-09-17, 08:12 PM
How powerful is he? Sounds like he should have levels in Sorcerer and Warlock with the Hellfire Warlock PrC (which gives you nice flamey powers, but drains your Constitution, which is a relatively good substitute for going catatonic after overexerting himself). He should definitely have the Hideous Blow, Brimstone Blast and/or Hellrime Blast, and The Dead Walk invocations. Maybe give him the Improved Unarmed Strike and Stunning Fist feats (unless you just want to give him a couple Monk levels and have done with it). He needs the Improved Familiar feat to have an Imp familiar, though I don't think there are rules for your familiar running away from you. I'm not sure what race he should be, since Undead technically don't have to eat and sleep: there are a few half-undead templates that might work for him in Libris Mortis.

As for alignment, Neutral Evil.

mockingbyrd7
2007-09-17, 08:20 PM
THIS POST IS FULL OF SPOILERS FROM THE COMIC "LOOKING FOR GROUP."

Looking over the stats for a luch, I think Richard would be a high level Chaotic Evil Lich Sorcerer, much like Xykon. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lich.htm

Undead type: Of course.
Hit Dice: d12's make perfect sense, considering Richard has (LFG spoilers) survived getting daggers through the chest, getting his chest blasted out, getting impaled by two ballista bolts, and laughed at having his arm chopped off.
Armor Bonus: Also fits with the above info.
Negative Energy Touch Attack: Substitute the "negative energy" for "fire" or "Fwoosh" and this works splendidly.
Fear Aura: I don't know, but those villagers looked pretty terrified of him to me.
Paralyzing Touch: Doesn't exactly fit, but Richard probably has stuff we haven't seen yet.
Turn Resistance: Makes sense.
Damage Reduction 15/Blunt and Magic: This is perfect for Richard.
Immunities: All of these make sense.
Abilities: Yup.

The only thing about Richard being a lich that DOESN'T make sense is that he doesn't have a phylactery that we know of.

-------------------------

However, if you're looking to make Richard as a PC, I doubt that he'll allow you to run a lich.

wadledo
2007-09-17, 08:37 PM
SurlySeraph: I think lvl 14-15 and the familiar is not a big thing, some variant would make up for it (either Blood of Siberys or Draconic Ray)

mockingbyrd7: I was thinking more Necropolitan

Background that makes of sense:
1. Lvl 4 some kind of monk
Zombie!
^2nd or 3rdv
Become evil (kill father?)
4. 11 lvls warlock/sorcerer